Sponsored

Do I Keep My Order Now That 3.0L Powerstroke Cancelled?

DennisG

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Question for the group. Now that Ford is officially dropping the 3.0L Powerstroke. I'm wondering about future service, maintenance and the overall availability of parts. With such a limited production engine in the F150, I'm worried about the ability of getting competent service at a dealership for any maintenance issues and the overall availability of parts. Yeah I know getting decent service at a dealership can be a crapshoot, but I can see this making it that much harder for finding anyone at the dealership knowledgable on the powertrain. Or am I over thinking things and worrying too much? Trying to decide if I keep my order and just stick on an extended service contract. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
It depends. To me the only real benefit of this engine is highway mileage. But the negatives are less power, more maintenance, and having to use diesel fuel. If you value both highway and city, the Powerboost makes more sense. Resale also may be a slight negative on the diesel.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Resale may be a positive. The diesel has been available since 2018. and with the new generation of F150, the 2021 diesel will be the only model year with that option, so as long as they didn't make any changes to the engine from 2020 to 2021, service and parts shouldn't be an issue.

Personally, I don't see any benefit to diesel in a half-ton truck. The ecoboost or the hybrid will perform just as well if not better, and you don't have to deal with DEF, or diesel service.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
I would not be worried about Ford supporting the 3.0 down the road - it's still very widely used in Europe. You probably won't find much 3rd party support for it (eg: ECM tuning). If you live in an area where diesel prices are equal to or lower than gasoline then I'd say go for it.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
They've supposedly sold only 500 in this application. I'd move on. I was considering changing over from my Powerboost to gain highway mileage while towing (the PowerBoost has terrible towing mpg, worst of any pickup truck), but this news has me going the other way. Also, you cannot get any version of the generator the with the powerstroke. When a manufacturer orphans a model, there's a message. In this case, it was the half-ton sector's worst in class for horsepower and torque, so that's probably why - and they are trying to position the PB as its better alternative with more power and cheaper operating costs - which is true unless you tow.

Sponsored

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
Part will be available for 7-8 years post production. Has there been a official memo from Ford ?

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
They still have to make parts for the warranty time of the engine. Which should be about eight years from now. Resale of the truck is going to be a positive because the engine is rare now. A 2021 with the 3.0 will be rare. Also, keep in mind, the 3.0 will likely outlast any other engine in the lineup and can tow 12k with max tow which is plenty. I’ve had 2 3.0 powerstroke and 2 Ecoboost F150s. Service isn’t much harder or anything like that. I say keep your order!

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
Im keeping the order unless something goes wrong like not coming in 6 months . Now on thinking about how to keeping the truck from being hacked LOL:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Self
I would keep my order, because I waited 6 months for my and COVID didn't help. Having come from Super Duty trucks with big V-8 diesel engines with all that power to a F150 diesel I don't miss anything in towing ( because I don't tow that much anymore). The truck is just what fits me now and everyone can say not much power, fuel cost more, DF to deal with, and repairs are more. For all it's worth the eco gas engines will not have the longevity that a diesel will. Yes they have more power and torque then the 3.0 diesel, but how much do you really need in a F150? The Power Boost that is out there still has a eco engine in it and a battery that will one day need to be replace. I surely don't wish to have to pay for the price for a battery in that truck. Today with my truck I had a 16ft bumper pull trailer with 4,450 lbs of horse feed in it and the trailer and feed probably came out to 5,500 lbs and my fuel mileage gauge read 24.1 when I started heading back to the stable and when I got back it was 23.9.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
the PowerBoost has terrible towing mpg, worst of any pickup truck
Why would the Powerboost towing MPG be any worse than the Ecoboost? It is an Ecoboost on the highway with a motor assist, which should make the economy slightly better.

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
Why would the Powerboost towing MPG be any worse than the Ecoboost? It is an Ecoboost on the highway with a motor assist, which should make the economy slightly better.
My thought is the weight

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Both the EcoBoost and PowerBoost are pretty horrible for mileage when towing. Once those the is start pumping in air it’s gotta dump just as much fuel in to match it. Great power, but go look at people’s towing MPG with the 3.5 and you’ll see what I mean.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Both the EcoBoost and PowerBoost are pretty horrible for mileage when towing. Once those the is start pumping in air it’s gotta dump just as much fuel in to match it. Great power, but go look at people’s towing MPG with the 3.5 and you’ll see what I mean.
We all know that the way an engine works is to burn the latent energy of fuel, combined with the correct ratio of air (14.7:1 for "stoich"). So if you need to produce X amount of horsepower to pull a load, you need to burn a certain amount of fuel and air, no matter whether it is a forced-induction Ecoboost engine or a normally-aspirated Coyote. Of course, certain engines are more efficient than others. But generally, a smaller engine operating further up its load curve operates more efficiently than a larger engine that is loping. So a smaller displacement Ecoboost should in theory be more efficient than a larger displacement V8.
Sponsored