Powerboost vs ecoboost

OP
OP

Mabes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
I would agree, but from what I understand this hybrid design is very similar to the Fusion Hybrid and its been around for years. They give you 8 yrs 160 thousand mile warranty, that should more than cover any issues (at least that was what I was told). That is even more coverage than the regular ECOBOOST engine and regular transmission at 100000 mile. (I think my warranty numbers are correct).
I just checked again. Its 8 years 100,000 mile warranty for the powerboost
Sponsored

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
@Mabes It also depends where in the country you live. I'm in Los Angeles, and the average price of a gallon of regular is $3.15, so the PowerBoost pays for itself more quickly.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
There are certainly a lot of variables in a cost/benefit analysis. Trailer owners who like to escape RV parks and boondock will place a higher value on the Powerboost (2.4 or 7.2 KW) because of that unique use. The hwy/local driving mix is another good example. I don't drive my tow vehicle (a Tahoe) due to its lousy gas mileage...but I'd prefer driving it to our Mazda around town, despite it's bulk, because it's more comfortable. So a PB 150 would probably fit that bill - for me. The GVWR of the PB 150 is 300# more than the other 150 models (plus it eats up another 170# in lost payload weight) to cover the 35KW motor, the 1.5KW battery and the very heavy high-voltage cabling. So that will translate to more tire wear and perhaps other weight-related wear and tear, before you put one additional pound aboard. Also worth mentioning is that many 3.5L EB owners fail to get their promised gas mileage simply because they enjoy the power of the powertrain. Will that happen with a PB owner? With me? Hard so say.

It's tempting to get down in the weeds with all this pro & con stuff. The good news IMO is that there are two excellent choices (at least) available to the consumer.

Jack

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
There are certainly a lot of variables in a cost/benefit analysis. Trailer owners who like to escape RV parks and boondock will place a higher value on the Powerboost (2.4 or 7.2 KW) because of that unique use. The hwy/local driving mix is another good example. I don't drive my tow vehicle (a Tahoe) due to its lousy gas mileage...but I'd prefer driving it to our Mazda around town, despite it's bulk, because it's more comfortable. So a PB 150 would probably fit that bill - for me. The GVWR of the PB 150 is 300# more than the other 150 models (plus it eats up another 170# in lost payload weight) to cover the 35KW motor, the 1.5KW battery and the very heavy high-voltage cabling. So that will translate to more tire wear and perhaps other weight-related wear and tear, before you put one additional pound aboard. Also worth mentioning is that many 3.5L EB owners fail to get their promised gas mileage simply because they enjoy the power of the powertrain. Will that happen with a PB owner? With me? Hard so say.

It's tempting to get down in the weeds with all this pro & con stuff. The good news IMO is that there are two excellent choices (at least) available to the consumer.

Jack
When I see those mpg numbers I don't see them as a spec, but as a CHALLENGE. Like Ford is daring me to try to beat their crappy number. So I will not be having my fun with the turbo-ing I will be having fun trying to beat that 24mpg. There will be a lot more tools with the live fuel consumption, eco mode, and practicing electric only driving. I will be geeking out playing with it!

I ran my cost/benefit at $3 and $3.50 per gallon (california here) and still came out to about 50-60k miles before breaking even. However, one factor that could sway this big time is people that WOULD have bought a generator and took it along for dry camping. That adds maybe a hundred lbs back if you got the ecoboost, plus those dollars spent on the generator add to the EB cost of ownership. But only IF you would need a generator. If you are like me, you would never have bought or brought a generator, so the PB just adds capability to pull over at any truck stop, BLM land, walmart, cabela's, etc, and have power for microwaves, TV, gaming, charging, cpap machine, you name it.

Overall, I agree it is "hard to say" since not everything you give up or gain has a direct $$$ value.

Sponsored

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Power-Boost; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Corporate Pilot; retired Air Traffic Controller
When I see those mpg numbers I don't see them as a spec, but as a CHALLENGE. Like Ford is daring me to try to beat their crappy number. So I will not be having my fun with the turbo-ing I will be having fun trying to beat that 24mpg. There will be a lot more tools with the live fuel consumption, eco mode, and practicing electric only driving. I will be geeking out playing with it!

I ran my cost/benefit at $3 and $3.50 per gallon (california here) and still came out to about 50-60k miles before breaking even. However, one factor that could sway this big time is people that WOULD have bought a generator and took it along for dry camping. That adds maybe a hundred lbs back if you got the ecoboost, plus those dollars spent on the generator add to the EB cost of ownership. But only IF you would need a generator. If you are like me, you would never have bought or brought a generator, so the PB just adds capability to pull over at any truck stop, BLM land, walmart, cabela's, etc, and have power for microwaves, TV, gaming, charging, cpap machine, you name it.

Overall, I agree it is "hard to say" since not everything you give up or gain has a direct $$$ value.
I have started getting a little better mileage on mine lately. I’m averaging about 21-22 mpg. That maybe a combination of it starting to break in and me, like you, taking it as a challenge to get the higher figure. I have to be a little judicious with the slow, easy starts with traffic behind me. I don’t want aggravate other drivers too much.

Funky2me2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016, Cherokee, and Nissan Titan XD, 2013 KIA Opti
Occupation
Retired
My first post here. I have been dead set on the PB since it was announced. But the more and more I look at it I realize I don’t really need it if I won’t be using it like a generator. The gas mileage compared to the 3.5 ecoboost doesn’t offset the price increase at all. Is there any other reason people are wanting the PB?
Read the warranty book carefully.. the way I read it is the battery is warrantied for 8 years or until it fails.. Lot of good that will be. All batteries tend to fail. The battery without install is $5,000. Lot of risk for new tech. Otherwise I would probably get it.

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 5.0, 2021 F150 hybrid
I leased my PB, I will keep it for 2 years and trade it in. Maybe for another PB. The mileage is very good especially if you run a combination of city and hwy miles. Definitely close to advertised 24 mpg.

Just hwy, average around 23.5 mpg, it's about 2 - 3 mpg better than my 2018 5.0 at 65 mph.

If you are going to be travelling at 75 or 80 mph, the difference is maybe 1 mpg. Average around 21 mpg.

This using regular gasoline with 87 octane. I plan to run a tank of premium next and compare the numbers Vrs the extra cost.

Based on regular gasoline, I am saving $200 Canadian per month. Gas is $1.25/litre at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
On the Limited trim the PB option was only $700-$800 more than the EB, so you break even after only ~3 years.

Sponsored

Truman

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 150 Powerbost King Ranch
Occupation
Retired state trooper
The powerboost gets 24mpg. 3.5 eco gets 20.

Lets use 15,000 miles per year. And gas at $2.50 a gallon.

Powerboost
15,000/24=625 gallons of gas
625x2.50=$1562 per year on gas

3.5 Ecoboost
15,000/20=750 gallons of gas
750x2.50=$1875 per year on gas

1875-1562= $313 per year difference in gas

Adding the Powerboost instead of the Eco is an increase of $1722. So divide that by the fuel savings per year. 1722/313=5.5 years.

So you dont break even on fuel savings until 5.5 years if you drive 15,000 miles a year. And by that time the 80,000 mile warranty is up on the battery. Because you will be at 82,500 miles when you break even on fuel savings. Its not worth it to me in terms of fuel savings
Well with the new guy in the white house your savings just doubled because of gas price LOL

Truman

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 150 Powerbost King Ranch
Occupation
Retired state trooper
I leased my PB, I will keep it for 2 years and trade it in. Maybe for another PB. The mileage is very good especially if you run a combination of city and hwy miles. Definitely close to advertised 24 mpg.

Just hwy, average around 23.5 mpg, it's about 2 - 3 mpg better than my 2018 5.0 at 65 mph.

If you are going to be travelling at 75 or 80 mph, the difference is maybe 1 mpg. Average around 21 mpg.

This using regular gasoline with 87 octane. I plan to run a tank of premium next and compare the numbers Vrs the extra cost.

Based on regular gasoline, I am saving $200 Canadian per month. Gas is $1.25/litre at the moment.
I have just purchased a PB and was wanting to run 93 octane just to see what happened. how did your test come out ?

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 5.0, 2021 F150 hybrid
I have just purchased a PB and was wanting to run 93 octane just to see what happened. how did your test come out ?
Haven't had to fill up yet. I have only put 2 tanks of fuel in the truck. I have 2500 km's on it so the next tank will happen this weekend.

It cost me $138 to fill the last time. I put in 110 litres @ $1.25 per litre.
My 2018, 5.0 would hold 144 litres and in 2019 it cost me $180.00 to file the tank at the same cost per litre. The best I ever got was 21 mpg on the hwy. In the city and combined it was more like 14 or 15 mpg.

The PB goes just as far on the smaller tank as my previous truck did.

Premium is $1.55 per liter so it will still be a 10 dollar savings over the previous trucks cost to fill with regular.
I will be interested to see what the difference is overall.

I have reset the 1 trip meter and have tried to see what warming the truck up in the morning does to the mileage. In 2 days of letting it warm up for 10 minutes each day. Mileage dropped to 18.5 mpg. That is significant.

I should know more the end of next week.

Reactions: Dan

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
My first post here. I have been dead set on the PB since it was announced. But the more and more I look at it I realize I don’t really need it if I won’t be using it like a generator. The gas mileage compared to the 3.5 ecoboost doesn’t offset the price increase at all. Is there any other reason people are wanting the PB?
The few extra MPGs is nice but not my main reason I order it. The extra Hp and mainly 70 Ft Lbs of torque, then the 7.2 kw generator and then the MPGs. All for just over $2400... yeah no brainier.

Last edited:

C130

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2019 Navigator
Occupation
Airline Pilot
I originally wasn’t really interested in the Powerboost. I drove one and liked it but then did the cost comparison vs. the 3.5 Ecoboost. Financially, I can’t say it really made any sense due to the time it’ll take to break even. But, after driving the Powerboost I knew I wanted one. I’ve only had it for two days so can’t really give any meaningful feedback on it yet. It does seem that the more slow, city driving you do the more you’ll save in gas.
Sponsored