Sponsored

Do 4x4 trucks really have a better resale value than 4x2 trucks?

ellnemm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Z4M roadster, 2019 Jetta, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I have lived all my life in Montreal, Canada and never needed a 4x4 or AWD vehicle. I learned to drive in 1973 Chev Biscayenne with 2 snows on the back. Only reason we’re going 4x4 is pulling our trailer and resale value.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
I worked on a farm in ND in 1967 and I don’t think anyone that lived around there heard of 4WD because no one had it back then. We got along good without it. First time I drove 4WD was when I went in the Army.
Dealerships down south don’t stock 2WD because they make more money selling 4WD and that’s what the majority of the people want.
Everytime I want a new truck I have no choice but to order one

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I have lived all my life in Montreal, Canada and never needed a 4x4 or AWD vehicle. I learned to drive in 1973 Chev Biscayenne with 2 snows on the back. Only reason we’re going 4x4 is pulling our trailer and resale value.
Grew up in the mountains of Idaho & Montana
For just getting around--Big ol Heavy Full Size Chrysler product with Michelin X.
As sticky as those tires were, snow tires were not needed.

OP
OP
Service_Merchandise

Service_Merchandise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
I agree, I have had limited slip or e-lock on all my trucks. That is a must have.
Yea, had a co-worker that bought a 4x2 2016 Lariat off of Auto trader and he said he was fine with it as long az it had a locker.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Service_Merchandise

Service_Merchandise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
First let me say I’m in retail order purgatory for a 2021 F150 Lariat 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4 ordered on Oct 05, no VIN as of this date.
We recently sold our 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x2 to purchase our new truck. Of the hundreds of trucks for sale of this exact same model only 2 were 4x2 (RWD) vehicles. We had very few interested parties for the RWD configuration. Of the inquiries we did receive there were the ones that did not read the Autotrader add and asked “is it 4 wheel drive?”. I have to say we did sell the truck for what we expected, $7500 more than the dealer offered for trade in.
When we purchased the the Ram we had to retail order it and waited several months to get the truck due to the RWD request. At the time the Ram dealer said that if wanted a 4x4 we could have it the next day.
I believe it is easier to sell and retain a higher resale value for a 4x4.
Yea, I heard people say don't waste your time trading in a 4x2, you are going to have to sell yourself to get anywhere near what you want for it.

OP
OP
Service_Merchandise

Service_Merchandise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
True that!

Though I have used my 4X4 a couple of times launching my boat on a steep slick ramp but I feel the limited slip would have worked also, just didn't want to take a chance.

About every 2 or 3 years we get a little bit of snow and they freak out here in the SE when that happens. I've lived in Alaska, so I don't freak but we don't have any of the road equipment the North has.

The good thing though, the MPG differences is down to like 1 or 2 MPG max.
It would do fine on a boat ramp but I don't blame you for not taking a chance.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
It would do fine on a boat ramp but I don't blame you for not taking a chance.
Most of the time I don't bother but some places the ramp gets some back wash with mud and has pretty steep incline.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I have heard that 4x4 trucks have better retainment value. I also heard that 4x4 cost more than 4x2, so they end up having about the same value. Lastly, I hear that 4x4 trucks cost more but they retain a higher percentage of their original costs.
You also have to consider the location.

A 4x4 will have a better resale value in let’s say Colorado than it would in Florida.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
Make sure you have auto deploying running boards. They are perfect for aiding easier entry and exit. The fixed boards are not as easy to get in and out of for older folks.

That is true for 4X2 and 4X4
I agree they’re at an easier-to-use height than the fixed boards. They’re so expensive though, and only available on the highest-level Lariat. Another frustrating Ford packaging decision. Same with the heated steering wheel; only available on the highest package on Lariat. Kind of a dick move by Ford.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I agree they’re at an easier-to-use height than the fixed boards. They’re so expensive though, and only available on the highest-level Lariat. Another frustrating Ford packaging decision. Same with the heated steering wheel; only available on the highest package on Lariat. Kind of a dick move by Ford.
You can do aftermarket, they have them to fit most everything, I think they run around $1500.

OP
OP
Service_Merchandise

Service_Merchandise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Hi, hope you all have been keeping safe and warm during the winter storm sweeping the nation. My 4x2 F150 has done very well in the snow. I only got stuck in the parking lot but I grabbed the shovel out of the truck, got the snow and ice from behind the tires and was on my way again. I am sure that if my tires were more aggressive than the Michillen tires I have, then I would have been fine. Anyway, I plan on just getting a truck out of the dealer stock in the spring and they don't have any 4x2 trucks. So it looks like I will end up in a 4x4 this time around. Just thought I would share my 4x2 adventures in the snow with you guys. Stay safe and God bless.

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
4x4 trucks are considerably more marketable used than 2x4 used in my area.....always have been.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Here in AZ, once you start looking at trucks over 20 years old, a good condition low mile 4X4 is usually at least twice as much as a better and lower mile RWD truck.

The old 4cyl. reg. cab 5 speed manual Tacomas in 4X4 sometimes are selling for more than their original MSRP and the sellers are getting it!

1sick21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
4wd is a must for me. Better to have it and not need it and they will resell considerably faster here in Georgia.
Sponsored