• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tow Technology Package and resale value

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Capture.PNG

Note that the towing numbers reported are with the Max Trailer Tow Package. Which is exactly what I said.

Standard range towing without said package is reported as 5,000 lb. It's not in that PDF but has been in other Ford materials and is on the web here and there. Also as I wrote, I haven't seen anyone report the towing capacity for the extended range without Max Trailer Tow Package. Maybe it's also 5,000 lb. Maybe it isn't.

And I also didn't conflate payload and towing. I noted that the payload remains at 2,000 lb even without the Max Trailer Tow Package.

In summary, you really should verify your information before you post.
I stand corrected.
Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Hmm. From what I have read, EVs tow very efficiently provided you keep your speed down. Regenerative braking comes in real handy juicing up while going down hills. One of my big interests in the F150 Lightning is being able to hook a big travel trailer to back and touring the continent gas free.
I think that can be done, but with everyday common joe tow equipped EV’s not even on the road yet I’m not sure we have a real world data set to know how effective they will be in that scenario. Really interested to see how they do real world. Lightning will be my next F150…. Although that would probably be a 2030 Lightning as long as nothing bad happens to my ‘21 (knock on wood).

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I think that can be done, but with everyday common joe tow equipped EV’s not even on the road yet I’m not sure we have a real world data set to know how effective they will be in that scenario. Really interested to see how they do real world. Lightning will be my next F150…. Although that would probably be a 2030 Lightning as long as nothing bad happens to my ‘21 (knock on wood).
If my ‘21 F150 lasts like my F250 did, I will be looking at replacing it with a ‘40 Lightning.

Last edited:

TN F-150

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang Sprint; 1970 F-100; 2001 f-150
Occupation
General Contractor
If the standard range battery is rated at 426 hp and the extended range battery is rated at 563 hp I can understand an increase of the base towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. to maybe 7,500 lbs. ( but I haven’t seen the actual towing capacity of the baseline extended battery). But could someone explain how the Max Towing option increases towing capacity another +/- 2,500 lbs. without increasing horsepower of the motors? The package says it only includes enhanced cooling of the batteries and motors.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If the standard range battery is rated at 426 hp and the extended range battery is rated at 563 hp I can understand an increase of the base towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. to maybe 7,500 lbs. ( but I haven’t seen the actual towing capacity of the baseline extended battery). But could someone explain how the Max Towing option increases towing capacity another +/- 2,500 lbs. without increasing horsepower of the motors? The package says it only includes enhanced cooling of the batteries and motors.
My semi-educated guess (engineering background but no direct experience with these systems) is that running the batteries and motors at higher sustained loads builds up heat and they are unable to safely sustain the max tow load under adverse conditions (steep grade and high ambient temperature). Additional cooling allows those sustained loads while protecting thr motor and battery

Sponsored

TN F-150

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
General Contractor
So you’re saying that the motors/batteries already have the ability to tow the additional capacity. The Max tow package only adds hardware that protects the motors/batteries from damage?

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So you’re saying that the motors/batteries already have the ability to tow the additional capacity. The Max tow package only adds hardware that protects the motors/batteries from damage?
Correct - the Lightning is the most powerful F150 ever produced by ford (i.e. excluding the Shelbys and other aftermarket trucks). Horsepower and torque aren't the issue.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
That's basically all a Max Tow package is on an ICE truck as well. Those systems usually include a second radiator used to keep the transmission cool during towing along with some other handy towing features.

TN F-150

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
General Contractor
Okay
Then my next question is whether the battery management system restricts the batteries/motor in some manner similar to a governor; so you don’t damage them - unless or until you install the max towing package to open up the full potential?

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Okay
Then my next question is whether the battery management system restricts the batteries/motor in some manner similar to a governor; so you don’t damage them - unless or until you install the max towing package to open up the full potential?
Yes, that is the PRIME DIRECTIVE for BMS. It's major (whole?) purpose is to ensure the batteries stay within their operating parameters (temperature, etc.) during both charging and discharging.

They do that by either limited the amount of power (i.e. current, maybe voltage) driven in during charging, or the amount of power being supplied or if the BMS has other mechanisms it can invoke, like increased cooling, utilizing those also.

In fact for most lithium technologies, there is a "too cold" temp also, and can employ battery heaters (think winter in the far north).

All "intelligent" battery technologies employ a BMS, including that iPhone in your pocket.

Sponsored

TN F-150

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
General Contractor
Doesn’t the computer on an ICE adjust the air/fuel mixture, and ignition components to change the power needs from a daily driver mode to a towing mode? A tune that squeezes more horsepower out of the engine.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Also, I think (could be wrong) the scales assist with accurate range determination. I don't think it's just a party trick, if you have a heavy payload your range will more accurately be reflected.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Also, I think (could be wrong) the scales assist with accurate range determination. I don't think it's just a party trick, if you have a heavy payload your range will more accurately be reflected.
Yes and they've described that the system will have a way to input the shape of the trailer to further improve range estimates.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
That said, I could see where not having that package could impact resale / trade in value in the future since (I assume) most folks would want it. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it worth getting just to protect future value?
In my opinion I wouldn't purchase packages to help trade/resale value. My reasoning is this: if the tow package costs you $2,000 (making up a number) to add, you'd need to get at least an extra $2,000 out of the future trade/sale than you would if it didn't have it. With depreciation maybe you get an extra $1,500 (again making up a number) after 4 years for a feature you didn't use. So in theory you'd throw away $500 if you didn't ever use it.

Seeing how well other EVs have held their value, unless the package adds range or base power I don't see the point in adding it on now in hopes of increasing the value of a vehicle (unless, of course, you want the feature). I've personally not seen a feature appreciate in value as opposed to depreciate. Yes, your truck may be more attractive to specific buyers, but I don't see a shortage of people wanting these on the used market in any variant.

Just my opinion, am I way off base?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
In my opinion I wouldn't purchase packages to help trade/resale value. My reasoning is this: if the tow package costs you $2,000 (making up a number) to add, you'd need to get at least an extra $2,000 out of the future trade/sale than you would if it didn't have it. With depreciation maybe you get an extra $1,500 (again making up a number) after 4 years for a feature you didn't use. So in theory you'd throw away $500 if you didn't ever use it.

Seeing how well other EVs have held their value, unless the package adds range or base power I don't see the point in adding it on now in hopes of increasing the value of a vehicle (unless, of course, you want the feature). I've personally not seen a feature appreciate in value as opposed to depreciate. Yes, your truck may be more attractive to specific buyers, but I don't see a shortage of people wanting these on the used market in any variant.

Just my opinion, am I way off base?
That's exactly right. A package is only worth getting if you actually use it.
Sponsored