These ARE NOT GMC Sierras!

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I’ve seen in a few places lately people saying Ford has copied GMC and its Sierra in its design cues for the 2021 F-150. Many also state the 2021 F-150s looks just like the Sierra.

I did some research, and determined this is inaccurate.

Pictured below is a 2015 Ford F-150. At the beginning of generation thirteen, Ford took on this “C-shape” design on the front and rear fascias of the truck, particularly in the area including the headlights and the taillights.

General Motors and their GMC Sierra in 2015 were using a square styled headlight housing.

It wasn’t until 2019 that GMC began to adopt a similar, but distinctively different (easily noticeable for enthusiasts) headlight design that had a C-shaped LED signature around the main headlight housing.

In addition to this, the generation fourteen F-150 retains the same styling language as the generation thirteen F-150s, but evolves upon it.

As many of us know, the C-shape design cue on the front headlight area has been expanded to reach down into the accent/fog light area to help provide a more authoritative, but decidedly Ford style stance. This design language is carried throughout other areas of the exterior of the truck including the mirrors and taillights.

Thus, it can be concluded that Ford implemented the C-shape, as it were, into its trucks several years (2015) before GMC followed suit with its own take on the c-shaped design (2019).

Sorry if that was a little bit of a rant, but you all call use this information yourself in the future if some schmuck decides to say your beautiful Ford F-150 looks like a GMC!

Exhibit A: 2015 Ford F-150
Ford F-150 These ARE NOT GMC Sierras! 77003971-97CD-4326-9061-0E936EE68211

Exhibit B: 2015 GMC Sierra
Ford F-150 These ARE NOT GMC Sierras! 476B3BF4-5B92-47BD-BD5B-7CC392EF9BD9

Exhibit C: 2019 GMC Sierra (their iteration of c-shaped LED lighting)
Ford F-150 These ARE NOT GMC Sierras! D3B821F5-13F4-43F1-9C0C-CEC324639615

Exhibit D: 2015 Ford F-150 close up
Ford F-150 These ARE NOT GMC Sierras! 27F6ECF5-F0FE-4465-BBD9-60E9C191B0A7

Exhibit E: 2019 GMC Sierra close up
Ford F-150 These ARE NOT GMC Sierras! 8D6E407F-EBAD-4B63-B632-0B5F599B91D5

Exhibit F: 2021 F-150 XLT (further building on the c-shape design language from 2015)
Ford F-150 These ARE NOT GMC Sierras! CFE278C0-5C45-4F48-B143-FA5F63153EAA

Exhibit G: 2021 F-150 Limited demonstrating the aforementioned
Ford F-150 These ARE NOT GMC Sierras! 9000FE6C-0B9C-4B52-8484-2CC26E5AA403

Fellow members, I rest my case. I remain at the will and mercy of the notorious court of public opinion....
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I just noticed the Sierra earlier today— the model in exhibit B.
I can see where there are similarities, but there are also differences.
Most notable, is the F-150 has stacked hi/lo headlamps and has had them for awhile, where GM is just a large lens that incorporates both hi & low.
That being said, the Ford is still a smoother looking pickup as I have NEVER liked the trucks that look chiseled from a block of wood and I still can’t wrap my head around square wheel openings.
My sole reason for buying a Ranger years ago, was they were still a smooth pickup and looked nothing like the pre-bent-up Colorado/Canyon ( that they looked like they fell into a canyon).
Never cared for tacked on fender flares either.
Simple, smooth, no dirt catching add ons that can fill with crud.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just noticed the Sierra earlier today— the model in exhibit B.
I can see where there are similarities, but there are also differences.
Most notable, is the F-150 has stacked hi/lo headlamps and has had them for awhile, where GM is just a large lens that incorporates both hi & low.
That being said, the Ford is still a smoother looking pickup as I have NEVER liked the trucks that look chiseled from a block of wood and I still can’t wrap my head around square wheel openings.
My sole reason for buying a Ranger years ago, was they were still a smooth pickup and looked nothing like the pre-bent-up Colorado/Canyon ( that they looked like they fell into a canyon).
Never cared for tacked on fender flares either.
Simple, smooth, no dirt catching add ons that can fill with crud.
Apt analysis, Bryan.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
You go Brian!!

Shows their lack of imagination, have to use another design and just change it enough. They are still squarsville and cheap interiors.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You go Brian!!

Shows their lack of imagination, have to use another design and just change it enough. They are still squarsville and cheap interiors.

If you couldn’t tell, I’m a bit of a Ford guy. Even so, I’m an avid patron of auto shows. When I go, I look and sit in (if possible) every car from every manufacturer that’s at the event. I am as unbiased as possible, but I can agree. General Motors products the past few years have been subpar, but just as much , if not more expensive, than Ford and RAM.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
If you couldn’t tell, I’m a bit of a Ford guy. Even so, I’m an avid patron of auto shows. When I go, I look and sit in (if possible) every car from every manufacturer that’s at the event. I am as unbiased as possible, but I can agree. General Motors products the past few years have been subpar, but just as much , if not more expensive, than Ford and RAM.
Yeah, I'm a big car buff and like lots of different vehicles.

For full size trucks, it's Ford, hands down.

I haven't owned a GM product since late 70s. I think they are too profit driven. All companies are to some degree but they seem to carry too far and don't listen to the customer as much as Ford and some others.

I have probably owned almost every brand except stuff like Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari etc. Never owned a Dodge till the new Challenger (play toy) came out and love it.

Would not own any Chrysler products though. Toyota's are good but they don't stay up to date enough most times.

I think all vehicles have made gains in quality and fit and finish, some just do a better job at what they build. I think Ford has hit another home run on this new F150. (y)

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I'm a big car buff and like lots of different vehicles.

For full size trucks, it's Ford, hands down.

I haven't owned a GM product since late 70s. I think they are too profit driven. All companies are to some degree but they seem to carry too far and don't listen to the customer as much as Ford and some others.

I have probably owned almost every brand except stuff like Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari etc. Never owned a Dodge till the new Challenger (play toy) came out and love it.

Would not own any Chrysler products though. Toyota's are good but they don't stay up to date enough most times.

I think all vehicles have made gains in quality and fit and finish, some just do a better job at what they build. I think Ford has hit another home run on this new F150. (y)
I think Ford has as well, there is a reason the F-Series has been such a prominent leader in trucks for decades.They also earned big cred with me when they were the only American auto maker that didn’t take the government bailout several years back.

I really like Mopar’s styling and hardcore performance attitude, but I’ve consistently heard issues with quality.

I love JDMs too. My current vehicles are Mazdas and I would easily go back to them if I didn’t want a truck this time around.
Sponsored