First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, 2021 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 3.5l EB
Occupation
Retired
I posted this in response to another thread but thought I'd give it it's own....

Any opinions on whether or not the Unleashed upgrade would be less of an improvement (and thus not worth the extra ~$650 cost) in a SuperCab version? I'm just wondering if acoustically in the smaller cabin the standard B&O system would still be terrific.

I have a Lariat 502A on order and I'm questioning my choice of the base B&O option.

Also, anyone know if the same speaker grills are the same on the base vs. Unleashed? Particularly the small grills on/near the pillars

Thanks

Chris
Sponsored

OP
OP

Chris McN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Giving this a bump to see if there are any opinions...Thanks........

Any opinions on whether or not the Unleashed upgrade would be less of an improvement (and thus not worth the extra ~$650 cost) in a SuperCab version? I'm just wondering if acoustically in the smaller cabin the standard B&O system would still be terrific.

I have a Lariat 502A on order and I'm questioning my choice of the base B&O option.

Also, anyone know if the same speaker grills are the same on the base vs. Unleashed? Particularly the small grills on/near the pillars

Thanks

Chris

traumaguy25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 501A 3.5L V6
Occupation
RN in Trauma & Acute Care Surgery
I'm also curious about the standard speaker system.
I ordered a Lariat 500A Package and there's no indication of what sound system is included standard; anyone know?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I checked through all the trims on the build and price tool myself and couldn’t find anything about the base sound system.

Safe bet is probably your standard four speakers in the doors like most cars. Maybe six depending on how the F-150s are built this year...

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 5.0, 2021 F150 hybrid
From what I understand, you get the base B and O sound system which is also available from 2018 to 2020.
I believe it's 9 speakers and the subwoofer 640 watts.

The B and O unleashed is 18 speakers and 1040 watts.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From what I understand, you get the base B and O sound system which is also available from 2018 to 2020.
I believe it's 9 speakers and the subwoofer 640 watts.

The B and O unleashed is 18 speakers and 1040 watts.

According to the build and price, you don’t get a Bang & Olufsen system unless you step up to at least the 501A “Mid” package.

All of the listed included features for the 500 base doesn’t seem to include anything about the truck’s stereo other than “AM/FM”.

OP
OP

Chris McN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know if the B&O base system (not the Unleashed version) is the same audio system that was previously the high end audio option in the 2019 F-150? I cranked up that system while on a test drive several months ago and thought it sounded great. Still on the fence if the Unleashed upgrade is worth the extra cost, especially in my SuperCab config.

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
According to the build and price, you don’t get a Bang & Olufsen system unless you step up to at least the 501A “Mid” package.

All of the listed included features for the 500 base doesn’t seem to include anything about the truck’s stereo other than “AM/FM”.
My apologies, what comes with the XLT then? I thought it was all part of the Sync 4 system 8 inch screen etc?

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does anyone know if the B&O base system (not the Unleashed version) is the same audio system that was previously the high end audio option in the 2019 F-150? I cranked up that system while on a test drive several months ago and thought it sounded great. Still on the fence if the Unleashed upgrade is worth the extra cost, especially in my SuperCab config.
That's what I was told by my dealership. I have an 18 F150 with the B and O.
They say it is 10 speakers including the sub, in my 18 F150.

It is way better than the Sony system that I had in my 15 F150.

I went with the unleashed for my 21.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

That is possible. It depends on the manufacturer. I’ve seen in the past, car companies will use one speaker brand across the line.

For instance, Bose will offer “premium” systems with more/bigger/better quality speakers as an option, but still use (lower level) Bose drivers and cones on their standard models.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Chris McN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

This is one of those "How good is good enough?" questions....... I don't want to be disappointed with the audio in a $60k truck but I suspect the base B&O is still really good.

What made you decide to go with the Unleashed upgrade?

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is one of those "How good is good enough?" questions....... I don't want to be disappointed with the audio in a $60k truck but I suspect the base B&O is still really good.

What made you decide to go with the Unleashed upgrade?

I spend a lot of time in my truck. It's my office and I had the opportunity to speak to a marketing Rep who had a test mule in Ontario.
I flat out asked him what the difference was between the two systems.
He said that both are good, but the Unleashed is as good as or better than the best systems in the Lincoln's.
For the cost, I could not say no to the 8 extra speakers.

The people who have test drove the trucks with the unleashed system say that it is way better than the regular B and O.

The marketing Rep also said It's not about Thumping base( though it will do that pretty well) , it's about clarity and clean clear sound.

Hope this helps.

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is possible. It depends on the manufacturer. I’ve seen in the past, car companies will use one speaker brand across the line.

For instance, Bose will offer “premium” systems with more/bigger/better quality speakers as an option, but still use (lower level) Bose drivers and cones on their standard models.
I found this in the Canadian order guide. It says B and O is Optional on XLT 302A and standard on Lariat.

The unleashed is optional on the 502A high Lariat.

See below screen shot.

Ford F-150 "Unleashed" vs. Base B&O in a SuperCab Screenshot_20201119-193939_Office

OP
OP

Chris McN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I spend a lot of time in my truck. It's my office and I had the opportunity to speak to a marketing Rep who had a test mule in Ontario.
I flat out asked him what the difference was between the two systems.
He said that both are good, but the Unleashed is as good as or better than the best systems in the Lincoln's.
For the cost, I could not say no to the 8 extra speakers.

The people who have test drove the trucks with the unleashed system say that it is way better than the regular B and O.

The marketing Rep also said It's not about Thumping base( though it will do that pretty well) , it's about clarity and clean clear sound.

Hope this helps.
Just sent my dealer a note to see if I have time to make the change to Unleashed.

I think I just needed a little push!!!!

Thanks

Chris

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just sent my dealer a note to see if I have time to make the change to Unleashed.

I think I just needed a little push!!!!

Thanks

Chris
I’m a bit of an audiophile and I cannot recommend the Bang & Olufsen Unleashed enough. For a stock system, I was thoroughly impressed! You should be very happy with it!
Sponsored

Last edited: