• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Placed Cybertruck order after Lightning reservation

audiomikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500, MB W221, C5 Camaro, Prius V, 300C
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
Tesla calls it an order while Ford calls it a reservation. Ever since I placed my Lightning reservation I have been watching a ton of Model Y v. Mach-E comparison videos. Both are awesome vehicles while being very different which makes the comparison very interesting. It's not like the old Mustang v. Camaro or F-150 v. RAM, which are much more similar. Ended up watching a drone construction tour of the Tesla Austin site. Wow! I mean wow! A truly massive project.

While watching the Cybertruck launch event back in November 2019 the vehicle came across as cartoonish and a show vehicle that will never make production. But here we are 18 months later and Tesla is building a massive factory for something in addition to a 2nd site to build Model Y. While the specs of the Cybertruck are too good to be true, there is a good chance they will build a very competitive truck that could compete with the Lightning. I am not in any hurry to buy but I don't want to sit on the sidelines forever waiting in perpetuity for the next great thing. When game changers launch I buy.

Ford F-150 Lightning Placed Cybertruck order after Lightning reservation Screenshot_20210607-090116
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The Cybertruck and Lightning do not compete with each other. One is a truck that is going to work for the masses, the other is a billionaires childhood fantasy.

With Tesla cutting radar from their cars, lumbar support and who knows what else, I no longer trust them to produce cars that will be comfortable and safe.

I have a CT and Lightning on reservation also.

Catmandu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota Sienna, 2022 F150 Lightning reserved
I have a CT on reservation too.... but my list of doubts grow. I like a lot of things about it (SS skin <- no paint/rust! the eye catching design, long bed etc), however Tesla is worrisome as a 1st time truck manufacturer. I don't think they will be able to product a quality vehicle in volume for years... because of that I'm looking at the Lightning. Its an evolution for a long tenured truck builder. Maybe I'm wrong since I've never bought a Ford before, but its the best option/value at present as far as I see.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I have a CT on reservation too.... but my list of doubts grow. I like a lot of things about it (SS skin <- no paint/rust! the eye catching design, long bed etc), however Tesla is worrisome as a 1st time truck manufacturer. I don't think they will be able to product a quality vehicle in volume for years... because of that I'm looking at the Lightning. Its an evolution for a long tenured truck builder. Maybe I'm wrong since I've never bought a Ford before, but its the best option/value at present as far as I see.
You're not wrong. The problem with Tesla is that it's a software company first and Car builder second. Their charging infrastructure and flexibility with charging a Tesla just about anywhere is what makes them great but other than that their build quality is subpar.

I do like that the CT will have air suspension, stainless steel and room for 6, but I don't think it will come in at $49K as initially told. Prices have gone up and who knows how expensive it will be by the time it comes out.

Ford needs to fix their issues with EA during this time to make it better for those of us coming from Tesla.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I have an early Cybertruck reservation as well.

I figured I'd get one of those, but the Lightning Pro is very compelling, as well. I feel like I'll end up with a Lightning Pro SR at the moment, but there are so many questions that will determine which truck I end up with (if not both):

-When does the Cybertruck actually reach production?
-Actual pricing on Cybertruck?
-Tax credit return for Cybertruck?
-Which Cybertruck versions are available and when? (They already pushed back the $39k version)

-Actual availability of Lightning Pro SR?
-Tax credit remains when my Pro SR is available?
-Tax credit increased/extended?
-Charge rate/range increase?
-Plug and charge improvement?

Both trucks have their pros and cons.

We'll see what happens with the above items... and the many more questions that we don't know, yet.

Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
The CyberTruck will be built around the new 4680 battery cells. They aren't mass producing 4680s yet and won't be for a while. They can't mass-produce CTs until they are mass-producing 4680s.

This will all happen in EST -- Elon Standard Time

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Fully agree. CT has some cool features, almost too good to be true specs for the price, and seems very bleeding edge. However, Tesla quality has gone downhill dramatically with increased production and I don't see the company taking that seriously as they are so focused on their stock price which is worrisome for me.

I have both reserved, so we'll see what happens. Won't get either until 2023+ anyways, but Ford completely stole the show vs the single and dual motor option

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The CyberTruck will be built around the new 4680 battery cells. They aren't mass producing 4680s yet and won't be for a while. They can't mass-produce CTs until they are mass-producing 4680s.

This will all happen in EST -- Elon Standard Time
This will not happen in the next 2-3 years. They just cancelled the Plaid + which was supposedly suppose to have the 4680's. I guess we will find out when the Model Y rolls out of Austin which batteries it has.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
This will not happen in the next 2-3 years. They just cancelled the Plaid + which was supposedly suppose to have the 4680's. I guess we will find out when the Model Y rolls out of Austin which batteries it has.
They're building 4680s at Kato Road in California and building battery plants in Austin and Berlin as we speak.

OP
OP
audiomikej

audiomikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500, MB W221, C5 Camaro, Prius V, 300C
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
What is the plaid+? Cyber truck? Or Model S? I just heard a podcast interviewing Jay Leno where he got to witness a production Model S plaid+ completing a 9.2 quarter mile at 154 MPH. If I remember correctly it was a new record world's quickest four-door production car

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
but Ford completely stole the show vs the single and dual motor option
The Lightning Pro is a crazy deal, for sure. $39k (minus credits) for dual motor.

The Extended Range Lightning, less so. Retail buyers can't even buy the Extended Range Pro, so they're going to have to spend ~$63k to get the extended range battery... which leaves some room for the CT price to increase and still be very competitive.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
What is the plaid+? Cyber truck? Or Model S? I just heard a podcast interviewing Jay Leno where he got to witness a production Model S plaid+ completing a 9.2 quarter mile at 154 MPH. If I remember correctly it was a new record world's quickest four-door production car
He's referring to the Plaid+ Model S being cancelled.

The "regular" Plaid Model S set the record... which is part of why Musk says they're not going to bother making the Plaid+. The Plaid is "just so good", according to Musk.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Yeah, that's what Elon wanted it for and then just dumped it. It's the Model S but it was my understanding that the Tri-Motor would be using the same batteries as Plaid +.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/6/22521769/elon-musk-tweets-tesla-plaid-plus-canceled

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
The Cybertruck and Lightning do not compete with each other. One is a truck that is going to work for the masses, the other is a billionaires childhood fantasy.

With Tesla cutting radar from their cars, lumbar support and who knows what else, I no longer trust them to produce cars that will be comfortable and safe.

I have a CT and Lightning on reservation also.
You say they don't compete with each other, but then you say have a reservation for each. Are you planning to have two trucks? Right now all EV trucks are competing for my dollar (Tesla, Ford, Rivian). I have reservations with each. My next vehicle will be an electric truck and though there are tradeoffs with each manufacturer, they all fit my needs.
Sponsored