Sponsored

texag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Silverado
Have a question for those of y'all much more knowledge on tow packages than me. I don't have any current intentions of towing anything larger than a 22ish ft center console boat and/or a small-midsize camper, none of which I currently own. I got the tow tech package on my KR as it was required to get the 360 camera that I wanted. From my understanding the only thing really limiting the tow tech package to 7000 lbs is the stabilizer bar? Is this correct? If so is that something that can be swapped out after market? Just would like to know my options if I ever find myself wanting to pull something heavier down the road.
Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
This is much more confusing than it should be. I am shopping for a Lariat Hybrid. I found one that has the Tow Technology Package -- no other towing package. The dealer assures me that this means I can tow 11,000 pounds. Go...
If you have a VIN, this calculator from Ford will let you know the exact towing capacity.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
From my understanding the only thing really limiting the tow tech package to 7000 lbs is the stabilizer bar? Is this correct? If so is that something that can be swapped out after market? Just would like to know my options if I ever find myself wanting to pull something heavier down the road.
It depends on the engine. I don't think I've seen anything definitive as far as all the parts differences for any engine. Powerboost trucks are the worst as far as what's different. The 3.5 & 5.0 get upgraded cooling with the higher tow packages, I think the 2.7 does as well.

texag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Silverado
It depends on the engine. I don't think I've seen anything definitive as far as all the parts differences for any engine. Powerboost trucks are the worst as far as what's different. The 3.5 & 5.0 get upgraded cooling with the higher tow packages, I think the 2.7 does as well.
I see, I’m getting the 3.5.

Cooter'sFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several XJs, a TJ, T-Bird, and an Expedition
Those links for the VIN Towing calculators seems to have moved somewhere. Anyone else finding the same thing? Found a new link perhaps?

Sponsored

CotaF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
For the life of me I can not get a definitive answer from the dealer on the payload and towing capacity of this setup. It would be a crew cab 4x4 short bed , 2.7L payload package, trailer tow package, with 3.73 gears,9.75 diff. The dealer keeps pushing me towards a 3.5L with the max tow package. Most I would ever tow is a 24ft travel trailer 5,000lbs dry 6,900 gross.
Ford F-150 Tow Package Breakdown For 2021 F-150 IMG_20210410_183022__01__01

mustanga10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport 2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Public Service/Government
For the life of me I can not get a definitive answer from the dealer on the payload and towing capacity of this setup. It would be a crew cab 4x4 short bed , 2.7L payload package, trailer tow package, with 3.73 gears,9.75 diff. The dealer keeps pushing me towards a 3.5L with the max tow package. Most I would ever tow is a 24ft travel trailer 5,000lbs dry 6,900 gross.
IMG_20210410_183022__01__01.jpg
Go big, at the very least get the max tow package but I would also get the 3.5l. RVs have a habit of getting bigger after a few years.... speaking from experience.

CotaF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Go big, at the very least get the max tow package but I would also get the 3.5l. RVs have a habit of getting bigger after a few years.... speaking from experience.
If I upgrade to the 3.5 is the trailer tow package beneficial at all or is that max trailer tow the one to get ? I was hoping if I keep my tow capacity smaller my RV won't grow any bigger.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
If I upgrade to the 3.5 is the trailer tow package beneficial at all or is that max trailer tow the one to get ? I was hoping if I keep my tow capacity smaller my RV won't grow any bigger.
I would stay away from max tow package. It will eat your payload which will be your biggest issue with that travel trailer. Find some TT forums and find out what the actual tongue weight is from current owners. We're looking at the Grand Design 2250rk, which is 5500/7500 and there are a few owners saying the tongue weight can be between 800-950lbs without water. We're looking to order either a powerboost or 3.5 ecoboost and getting payload over 1500lbs is going to be crucial. Without max tow, payload will be higher and don't need to go higher than 11k towing with a travel trailer. There are other threads on this forum that speak to the payload concern.

Carphunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Stone Gray SCAB XLT 2.7 4x4
have posted on the other forum as well...but in case.

just ordered 2021 scab xlt 4x4 302a 2.7. second guessing my tow setup.

right now... my towing is generall 1500# boat, utility trailer with motorcycle or atv, etc. no enclosed trailers or campers. possibly a utv on an open trailer at some point. very limited towing days.

i know the 53a is recommended/required for greater than 36sq feet front surface, and to get to 7600lb on the 2.7.

from these threads... i cannot find anything which mentions what the 53a adds over the 17t to up the tow cap from 6000 to 7600 in this config.

302a gives the 4/7 wiring and the hitch... tow tech gives the controller, 360 cam, etc. but nothing is saying what engine, susp, braking components might be upgraded to increase the capacity.

the front stab bar is mentioned in these threads... but i thought i've seen conflicting info that all these trucks use the same bar.

i would have considered just getting the tow pack plus 360 cam for the 1k to get that capacity... but most of the time i'm not towing.... so mpg now is probably worth unknown towing situations later... and my concern would be tow pack components being something that would detrimentally affect mpg when not towing.

Sponsored

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I would stay away from max tow package. It will eat your payload which will be your biggest issue with that travel trailer. Find some TT forums and find out what the actual tongue weight is from current owners. We're looking at the Grand Design 2250rk, which is 5500/7500 and there are a few owners saying the tongue weight can be between 800-950lbs without water. We're looking to order either a powerboost or 3.5 ecoboost and getting payload over 1500lbs is going to be crucial. Without max tow, payload will be higher and don't need to go higher than 11k towing with a travel trailer. There are other threads on this forum that speak to the payload concern.
That's great to hear! I had this thought but some stuff I have seen lately around brake rotor sizes on the Max Tow being larger had me concerned. I went with the Lariat 502a with PowerBoost, but skipped the Max Tow because the PB comes with the 9.75" 3.73 rear, locker, higher GVWR, and basically everything on the Max Tow package but the heavy duty bumper. Then I saw the larger brakes and stronger EBrake, but don't think that will be a big concern since as you noted, when towing a TT which would be my goal, the trailer would have its own brakes to assist and I wouldn't leave it on a slope with just the truck Ebrake on and no wheel blocks.

I know I am losing payload having a 502a and PB, but I skipped the twin panel moonroof (almost 200lbs of payload!) to try and find the best mix of comfort and capability. Not sure where the final payload number will work out, but going off some comparable stickers, I am hoping it will be just above 1600lbs.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
That's great to hear! I had this thought but some stuff I have seen lately around brake rotor sizes on the Max Tow being larger had me concerned. I went with the Lariat 502a with PowerBoost, but skipped the Max Tow because the PB comes with the 9.75" 3.73 rear, locker, higher GVWR, and basically everything on the Max Tow package but the heavy duty bumper. Then I saw the larger brakes and stronger EBrake, but don't think that will be a big concern since as you noted, when towing a TT which would be my goal, the trailer would have its own brakes to assist and I wouldn't leave it on a slope with just the truck Ebrake on and no wheel blocks.

I know I am losing payload having a 502a and PB, but I skipped the twin panel moonroof (almost 200lbs of payload!) to try and find the best mix of comfort and capability. Not sure where the final payload number will work out, but going off some comparable stickers, I am hoping it will be just above 1600lbs.
however, with the new "onboard scales" feature coming this summer that requires max tow, I am a bit conflicted, as it seems like it'd be really cool. I just want a payload estimator included in the build and price configurator so we could all stop worrying/guessing what our builds would actually have, argh! :) As I add/remove packages, etc, is the payload going to be 1400lb or 1600lbs or what...That would definitely impact how I'd build it.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...g-and-smart-suspension-damping-features.3359/

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Small point, but I keep seeing people referencing the Moonroof as a 200lb adder. The Ford specs has it at 64lbs. Basically 33lb on front axle and 33lb on rear axle.

Not sure where the 200lb number is coming from. Think about it, there wasn't a hole there, there was a metal roof. For the Moonroof to ADD 200lb it would make it like 250lb to 300lb stand alone.

Some of the bigger adders are the bedliner (hard or spray-in) at 45lbs. The 36 gal fuel tank at 83lbs. Power running boards at 57lbs (however the regular running boards are 40lbs, so the power function only adds 17lbs). Integrated tail-gate step at 40lbs.

Rafi M

First Name
Raphael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Leadfoot f150 crew cab 4x4 3.5EB
Small point, but I keep seeing people referencing the Moonroof as a 200lb adder. The Ford specs has it at 64lbs. Basically 33lb on front axle and 33lb on rear axle.

Not sure where the 200lb number is coming from. Think about it, there wasn't a hole there, there was a metal roof. For the Moonroof to ADD 200lb it would make it like 250lb to 300lb stand alone.

Some of the bigger adders are the bedliner (hard or spray-in) at 45lbs. The 36 gal fuel tank at 83lbs. Power running boards at 57lbs (however the regular running boards are 40lbs, so the power function only adds 17lbs). Integrated tail-gate step at 40lbs.
I have a XLT 302A 3.5EB with max tow package, B&O sound, Sunroof and bed liner (spray in)
My payload is 1810lbs.
the sunroof can’t be adding very much because my 2018 which I previously had only had 30lbs more payload but 4000lbs less towing capacity, no sunroof and also had the 5.0 which I think is heavier the the 3.5 but I may be wrong on that.
Bottom line, opting for a lot of options doesn’t give up that much in payload.
Only choosing the powerboost significantly drops payload due to Battery’s, electric motors and of course the pro power on board (especially with the 7.2 KW option...)

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost

It's a bit under 200, but was going off Payload stickers on like-for-like 2021 Platinums. Window stickers were identical except the twin panel, and payload was 160-ish lower on the twin panel truck.

Hardly scientific, and hopefully it is just 66 like you say, but I would find that a bit harder to believe. That laminated glass alone probably weighs that, before track, motor, etc. You are removing metal, but it's aluminum and maybe some sound dampening material. Maybe losing a few lbs and adding in a decent amount more.

But I can't find anything for sure on the total moonroof weight, found the parts but nobody was listing weights.
Sponsored