Sponsored

F-150---- V8 Gas Mileage? What MPG Do You Get??

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I've now had this truck for 4 months.
The very best average mileage I've gotten is
16.0- Miles a gallon. I mean that's the best..
That's highway doing the speed limit
with cruise control set.
For the most part I average around
14.5 MPG combined city and highway.
Do I have a problem??
Trying to find out what others driving a V-8 are getting?
I did have an O/2 sensor go out at 800 miles,
So do I have another problem?
Appreciate any feed back I can get..
Thanks.....
Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
I've had mine for about a month and have 1,000 miles on it so far. As soon as I got it I immediately reset the MPG calculator to get a more accurate reading because it showed something super low like 9 mpg or something like that which I'm sure is due to all the idling done from the factory when testing the engine (If you don't reset it, it might take a while for it to creep up to an accurate number). Throughout its first full tank (36) gallon I averaged around 16/17 mpg which was mostly city with some highway (no cruise control and varying speed to break engine in like recommended), this included me using the scheduled starts to warm up the truck 10min before leaving for work in the morning and 10 min before leaving work to head home. Once I filled up the second tank I reset the calculator and averaged around the same mpgs but this time had a bit more highway and higher speeds with slightly more aggressive driving. Now I'm on the 3rd tank and I'm averaging 19mpgs so its slowly getting better as the engine breaks in, as I add more mileage I do some short slightly spirited runs here and there to break the engine in properly and seat the rings.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
I have a screw 4x4 with 5.5 bed btw, what's your current mileage on your truck?

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I've had mine for about a month and have 1,000 miles on it so far. As soon as I got it I immediately reset the MPG calculator to get a more accurate reading because it showed something super low like 9 mpg or something like that which I'm sure is due to all the idling done from the factory when testing the engine (If you don't reset it, it might take a while for it to creep up to an accurate number). Throughout its first full tank (36) gallon I averaged around 16/17 mpg which was mostly city with some highway (no cruise control and varying speed to break engine in like recommended), this included me using the scheduled starts to warm up the truck 10min before leaving for work in the morning and 10 min before leaving work to head home. Once I filled up the second tank I reset the calculator and averaged around the same mpgs but this time had a bit more highway and higher speeds with slightly more aggressive driving. Now I'm on the 3rd tank and I'm averaging 19mpgs so its slowly getting better as the engine breaks in, as I add more mileage I do some short slightly spirited runs here and there to break the engine in properly and seat the rings.
It is the 36 gallon tank..
I just set the journey #1 to 0, is that the reset required?
That should be accurate if I've reset it, right?
Thanks...

Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
14.5 and 16mpgs seem low to me I was able to do 21 mpgs on a short 30min highway trip in eco mode before with 91 octane gas. I know the mpgs get better as the engine wears in and ford recommends 1000 miles for break in which should be mostly city, no excessive speeds, and no cruise control or towing. I would say reset the mpg calculator and go from there, could be that or the engine hasn't fully broken in yet and it requires you to do more stop and go driving with some decent acceleration hits here and there to seat those rings. Also avoid cruise control during break in, the engine requires varying rpms and speeds to wear together nicely, don't be afraid to give it a few non abusive moderate acceleration hits, this just helps it breaks in.

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Almost 21mpg at the pump, I'm at 6,300 miles. Use higher octane gas, use eco mode, use cruise control.
Doing all that except I have 2450 miles.
Burn 93 Octane.
Thanks...

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I have 5.0 super crew max tow package 3.73 gears

If I drive in eco mode on the freeway not exceeding 80mph keeping it around 74-78 then I can get 19 mpg.
I'm super crew, 3.73..
Thanks

Sponsored

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
It is the 36 gallon tank..
I just set the journey #1 to 0, is that the reset required?
That should be accurate if I've reset it, right?
Thanks...
Journey is just the trip calculator I believe, go to the screen where it shows the MPGS on your dash cluster and hold down the "ok" button on the right side of the steering wheel, you should see it reset your MPG calculator.

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
14.5 and 16mpgs seem low to me I was able to do 21 mpgs on a short 30min highway trip in eco mode before with 91 octane gas. I know the mpgs get better as the engine wears in and ford recommends 1000 miles for break in which should be mostly city, no excessive speeds, and no cruise control or towing. I would say reset the mpg calculator and go from there, could be that or the engine hasn't fully broken in yet and it requires you to do more stop and go driving with some decent acceleration hits here and there to seat those rings. Also avoid cruise control during break in, the engine requires varying rpms and speeds to wear together nicely, don't be afraid to give it a few non abusive moderate acceleration hits, this just helps it breaks in.
Pretty much done all that..
Thanks...

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Where do you do the reset??
Thanks

OP
OP
SonnyDigs

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
On your dash cluster go to where the MPGS pop up then on your steering wheel hold the "ok" button on the right side and that should reset your calculator.
Not sure I've seen that.
All I've seen for restting is journey 1&2
Thanks
Sponsored