ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
@rick024, the tankless water heater is going to be spark ignition as opposed to a pilot light (I know almost nothing about campers but I'm well versed on tankless!)
So what kind of power would that draw? Does that ignition only get triggered when the hot water valve is turned on?
Sponsored

smackit

First Name
Mister Smith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Maybe you should look into a Micro-Air Easy Start. it goes into your A/C and cuts down on the power draw at startup. I've got on on my 22' fb AS, and a Honda 2200 runs the unit just fine. My new F150, is scheduled to be built this week.
This is good advice, most RV AC units pull over 50 Amps at startup, the Easy Start drops that to about 15 amps. It's one of the first things I buy for every trailer we've had.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
So what kind of power would that draw? Does that ignition only get triggered when the hot water valve is turned on?
The unit that I typically install (199000 BTU's supports three fixtures continuously, indefinitely) draws 200W (max 2A), but there's a whole host of ascending current draw before that happens:
The call for (hot) water triggers a sail switch, which triggers the exhaust blower, which triggers the gas valve to open, all of these parameters have to "prove" before the spark igniter will trigger; obviously all of this takes place fairly simultaneously and probably doesn't draw the whole 2 amps...The unit that I use is a 110v, 1/2" gas unit...It's possible that some tankless manufacturers still use a "glow" igniter similar to the ones used in clothes' dryers and ovens which would have a higher initial amperage draw. yes to the question of only when the water valve is turned on

apologies in for the lengthy explanation

Last edited:

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
I installed a Progressive Industries AC protection device on our trailer and it includes a digital meter that shows real-time AC amp draw. I also installed a digital Victron battery monitor that shows, among other things, DC amp draw. These two devices give exact measurements of amp draw, AC & DC. Tankless water heaters like our Girard unit require very (very) little DC amp draw at start up; they mostly rely on water pressure and propane to do their job. Most also have a 'monitoring circuit' in case outside temps drop below freezing and the unit needs to 'warm up' itself. These units require very little DC electrical draw from the RV's house bank, so little it's not worth bothering about. The statement "most RV AC units pull over 50 Amps at startup" is bogus. Before I installed a MicroAir unit in my 10K BTU A/C, my Honda generator - with a max 18A sustained AC capability - would start up our Air Conditioner. Our PI unit showed a max AC draw of 16 amps with start-up. (After start-up our 10K unit draws 8-9 amps, not a lot for a trailer supplied with ProPower's 30A supply). Higher BTU rated A/C units will require more amp draw but far less than 50 amps.

Despite doing all the typical RV electrical upgrades (including solar) and having a lot of 'electrical management' capability built into our trailer, I'm convinced that the 30A 120V AC supply from a Powerboost F150 is going to be a real game changer for us. For those of you with bigger RVs that feature dual A/C units, fireplace heaters and the like, maybe a constant 30A AC supply sounds a bit meager and your worried about toaster, microwave, coffee pot and furnace conflicts. Truly those are First World problems. 30 amps is a bountiful supply of AC given how most modern RVs are now equipped and built. If I could only get the damn truck!

Jack

Sponsored

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
This is good advice, most RV AC units pull over 50 Amps at startup, the Easy Start drops that to about 15 amps. It's one of the first things I buy for every trailer we've had.
Sorry but 13,500 btu (most common AC)AC unit does not draw 50amps on start up

FRED LAPP

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 power boost 7.2kw, 4x4
Occupation
OTR/Owner Operator
Does it void warranty? I’d imagine any rv shop can install it?
I don't think so, it was installed by my dealer three months after I bought my AS.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Unless it's wired in series with the system, you likely won't be able to get an accurate reading for start up amps. The surge is too brief for an amp clamp to measure it, and trying to read it with a meter in series will damage the meter as they're typically only good for 10-20A at most.

Sponsored

ptricky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Anyone have feedback on this (or similar) adaptor? This is exactly what I have in mind for an upcoming camper rental. Hoping to hear positive things. Since it's a rental I won't know it works until...it works. The plan "B" is to adapt into the 120V-20A outlets like OP did but would rather get it right on the first try :cool: .

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
This is the same adapter I have and that I have used once so far. It worked without issue to power my 30 amp Winnebago 2100BH with lights, TV/Connex, refrigerator, 15,000 btu ac and the microwave. It pulled about 3100 watts from the 240V outlet with all these things running. After turning off the microwave, I ran the ac and other things for a little over an hour in 85 degree heat to test it. Our first overnight trip will be in a few weeks, so I will report back, but I am optimistic after this initial test.

tmdaley

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 HEV Lariat
I have used a similar adaptor to run my Escape camping trailer from the 240 outlet. It draws from circuit B. In general it worked fine, with it on about 4-6 hours per day. The truck was pretty quiet, but I still liked to turn it off during quiet times. I used less than a quarter tank over 3 days of partial use (sorry no accurate measurement yet).

I had a problem with overdraw which caused an error message on the center screen (same as shown in this thread) with a reset touch button. I think my battery charger and refrigerator and water pump were all operating. I reset it and it worked after I turned the refrigerator to gas mode.

I would like to know how much current draw causes this software reset.
Sponsored