Sponsored

Hood Flex / Flutter at Highway Speeds?

SportySpace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 3.5
Has anyone else noticed their hood flexing and fluttering at highway speeds? The truck I upgraded from, a 2013 Platinum, did not have this issue at all. I know older models had adjustable rubber bump stops for the hood so I assume 2021's have the same. That'll be the first place I start my trouble shooting.

Absolutely love the truck otherwise!! Just wondering if anybody else has had the same experience.
Sponsored

JCU Delt Ox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Raptor
I haven't noticed it yet in my '21, but it's pretty obvious on the '17-21 Super Duty. Ford said don't worry about it. It never actually caused any problems in the four years I had the truck.

OP
OP
SportySpace

SportySpace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 3.5
Thanks guys. Good to hear it's not a major concern. I've given the hood a good slam to make sure it's indeed closed so hopefully adjusting the bump stops does the trick. Just a little nerve wracking rolling down the highway and watching your hood do a little dance.

Fisher24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Thanks guys. Good to hear it's not a major concern. I've given the hood a good slam to make sure it's indeed closed so hopefully adjusting the bump stops does the trick. Just a little nerve wracking rolling down the highway and watching your hood do a little dance.
Adjust bump stops under hood. Quick fix

Sponsored

Bogeypro

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT
Has anyone else noticed their hood flexing and fluttering at highway speeds? The truck I upgraded from, a 2013 Platinum, did not have this issue at all. I know older models had adjustable rubber bump stops for the hood so I assume 2021's have the same. That'll be the first place I start my trouble shooting.

Absolutely love the truck otherwise!! Just wondering if anybody else has had the same experience.
No flutter here. Mine is leveled.

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Yep Meiser Brother had that issue and adjusted. Problem solved.
In one of their video. Backroad driver.
Lot of good vids on Sams 2021 F150., supercharged wolf, mustang GT 350 GT, 500
#4 at 11 mins into this vid.

OP
OP
SportySpace

SportySpace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 3.5
That link is a great resource to all 2021 owners!
I still need to fine tune the bump stops a bit but they were definitely the problem.

Sponsored

Flockem

First Name
Remington
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Dealing with the same issue. Have adjusted bump stops and still have flutter/hop. Tried to lower the latch and the hood wouldn’t close consistently (enough to warrant setting it back to factory). As I look at other cars and then at our hoods it looks like there isn’t a full coverage from left to right on the hood weather stripping. I think due to this there is no way to stop the air getting in and causing the flutter/hop.

I could be wrong but looks like the BAP and Tremor hood might be more susceptible to the issues vs a standard trim.

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Dealing with the same issue. Have adjusted bump stops and still have flutter/hop. Tried to lower the latch and the hood wouldn’t close consistently (enough to warrant setting it back to factory). As I look at other cars and then at our hoods it looks like there isn’t a full coverage from left to right on the hood weather stripping. I think due to this there is no way to stop the air getting in and causing the flutter/hop.

I could be wrong but looks like the BAP and Tremor hood might be more susceptible to the issues vs a standard trim.
Had some high winds driving home from Granger last month and I was sure I was going to lose my hood. Lol. I’ve got the BAP hood- but haven’t adjusted the bump stops yet to resolve. Will do that and see if it helps.

Wouldn’t even have thought of that otherwise- you guys are awesome!

OP
OP
SportySpace

SportySpace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 3.5
The BAP/Tremor hood could be more susceptible to the wind.
My issue ended up being more serious than just adjusting the bump stops. One of the bolts that attaches the metal hoop to the hood came loose and eventually backed all the way out.
Once that was replaced with some red loctite on the threads for extra insurance, no more shaky hood.

Flockem

First Name
Remington
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Think I successfully stopped hood flutter and bounce. Bought 1x1 foam weather stripping and helped seal hood to plastic tray over radiator/core support. Only ran it behind existing factory weather stripping. Make sure to leave opening for intake opening. Then lowered latch again but this time used my brain lowered hood adjustment tabs which I didn’t do last time. Checked contact with chapstick and everything sealed, lined up better, and operated as it should. 1 hour in on a 4 hour drive in west Texas and has not moved a bit.

You’d most likely be able to make noticeable improvements just with lowering the latch and by passing the weather stripping. I did the weather stripping first and saw a big improvement but still noticed my hood sat up higher than fenders and compared to other f150s wasn’t as flush.

Hope this helps some of you

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Think I successfully stopped hood flutter and bounce. Bought 1x1 foam weather stripping and helped seal hood to plastic tray over radiator/core support. Only ran it behind existing factory weather stripping. Make sure to leave opening for intake opening. Then lowered latch again but this time used my brain lowered hood adjustment tabs which I didn’t do last time. Checked contact with chapstick and everything sealed, lined up better, and operated as it should. 1 hour in on a 4 hour drive in west Texas and has not moved a bit.

You’d most likely be able to make noticeable improvements just with lowering the latch and by passing the weather stripping. I did the weather stripping first and saw a big improvement but still noticed my hood sat up higher than fenders and compared to other f150s wasn’t as flush.

Hope this helps some of you
i am walking out to look at mine now
thanks
Sponsored