Transmission shudder

camattin

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost 4x4
So mine has just started a slight shudder when I’m turning and starting to go from a stop. My truck skips 2nd gear almost every time I get going unless I’m flooring it. So wondering if it’s the hop from 1 to 3. The feeling is almost like when your turning with 4wd on but roads are dry....

to clarify, there is nothing earth shattering on mine, and I’m very nit picky so don’t let this scare anyone.Has def changed since first 1000 miles though.
That's how I'd describe mine as well (and, admittedly I did make the mistake a few weeks ago of enaging the diff lock on dry roads, luckily I caught it before any damage could be done :D).

It does seem to have gotten worse with mileage. I think I'm around 1100 now.

I do remember having this issue in my '16 Ecoboost (so just the 6-speed) and cannot recall now if it resolved eventually on its own or if I did go in for that "transmission reset".

For now, I'll just tolerate it. :-/
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
Hey Bullett,
Just curious why are your seats being replaced?
Dealer changed their mind I guess. The back seat benches aren't flat. One sits higher than the other. Dealer said it's normal for cloth...
I'm going to be trying a new dealer than the one I bought the truck from. Getting a lot of smoke up my ass from this one.

Gator87

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 ecoboost
Dealer changed their mind I guess. The back seat benches aren't flat. One sits higher than the other. Dealer said it's normal for cloth...
I'm going to be trying a new dealer than the one I bought the truck from. Getting a lot of smoke up my ass from this one.
[/QUOTE

Well that makes two of us then, my drivers side back seat is higher, acts like something Is under it but it’s not

Last edited:

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Good luck guys l. Any chance you used x plan? If so on the Ford partner website you can report issues with dealers similar to this. I would let them know if you take this route to give them one more opportunity to make things right.

Steve23

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150- King Ranch
Occupation
Fire
Mine had the shudder/ harsh shift at times. Noticed about thousand miles ago and thought it just needed breaking in. Never did and started to notice a harsh downshift near 3rd gear. Took it into dealer and they did confirm and placed on computer reprogrammed all shift points and now drives/shifts like a dream. All good now definitely notice a difference after leaving dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
Good luck guys l. Any chance you used x plan? If so on the Ford partner website you can report issues with dealers similar to this. I would let them know if you take this route to give them one more opportunity to make things right.
I used Zplan. That’s great to know though thank you

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
One of the TSB’s posted here includes a notice to the dealer that customer is to be notified that the performed TSB could result in rough shifting for a period while the transmission relearns the owner’s driving behavior. So Ford has documented this ‘relearning’ feature.

Jack

Smash

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
So mine has just started a slight shudder when I’m turning and starting to go from a stop. My truck skips 2nd gear almost every time I get going unless I’m flooring it. So wondering if it’s the hop from 1 to 3. The feeling is almost like when your turning with 4wd on but roads are dry....

to clarify, there is nothing earth shattering on mine, and I’m very nit picky so don’t let this scare anyone.Has def changed since first 1000 miles though.
I’m having a very similar sounding issue. It’s not a terrible clunk/shudder but it is very noticeable. I even realized the other day that I am unconsciously going very soft on the pedal when I am anticipating the shift to 3rd. This is a brand-new truck! ? Please post back if you get your issue fixed; I’ll provide any updates if I see improvement. Just for information, I typically drive in normal or eco modes; I haven’t really played with the other modes yet and am not sure if they would have an impact on the performance.

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
I’m having a very similar sounding issue. It’s not a terrible clunk/shudder but it is very noticeable. I even realized the other day that I am unconsciously going very soft on the pedal when I am anticipating the shift to 3rd. This is a brand-new truck! ? Please post back if you get your issue fixed; I’ll provide any updates if I see improvement. Just for information, I typically drive in normal or eco modes; I haven’t really played with the other modes yet and am not sure if they would have an impact on the performance.
So this went away for me. I’m wondering if the computer had it stuck in a different 4wd mode. I’m 100% certain I was in 2wd normal But it was for a couple days which was weird.
Mine also does the jump from 1-3 which is probably because I drive similar fashion (although I have used tow mode and sport mode quite a bit... gotta work those turbos lol) but generally I think it adapts to your driving. But it kinda screws ya when you take off slow and then determine you gotta get across an intersection or something quick cause that 1-3 shift takes a second.

Gator87

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 ecoboost
So I noticed with my shudder issue that if I run premium 93 octane it goes away, filled back up with 87 octane just to makes sure and sure enough shudder starting coming back.. so maybe this isn’t a transmission problem after all or at least not with mine

Sponsored

Nelson21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT 2.7 Eco
So I noticed with my shudder issue that if I run premium 93 octane it goes away, filled back up with 87 octane just to makes sure and sure enough shudder starting coming back.. so maybe this isn’t a transmission problem after all or at least not with mine
I have read these posts in the past and the more I see having the same issues I felt compelled to join. Same shuddering issues in 8th 9th and 10th with slight acceleration. Started at 500 miles 2days after I picked it up with 30 miles on it. Immediately back to dealer saying I wanted my 16 F15O back because I wasn’t dealing with transmission issues. Of course my 16 with not a single problem ever that had 97k sold immediately.. I even had them produce the paperwork to prove it!! Lol.. Dealer couldn’t replicate the shudder.Advised to put more miles.. learning…Blah Blah..So I put miles on it.. Still did it at times.. not always...Drove with Service manager on a different appointment and of course wouldn’t do it with him in the truck for an hour.. Ugh.. Shudder happened later that night.. Dealer had truck for a week and Service manager drove it back and forth to work.. couldn’t replicate.. Waiting on some recorder device they are supposed to hook up to the truck so when it happens I am to press a button…got the truck back and it ran fantastic for a week.. Slight shudder developed after a week here and there….I did also question if it is a gas related issue? I noticed a change sometimes from running smooth to shudder developing in high gears after total fill up?? Hmmmm.. I average 200-500 miles a week so I spend a lot of time in the truck.I now have 4500k miles and will say that the shudder events don’t seem to be as often but I am still going to have them put the recorder on when they get it. Pain in the A$$ fellow Ford owners to have to deal with this.

Sorry so long but I hope it helps some others. You have all helped me realize I am not overreacting!

Gator87

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 ecoboost
I have read these posts in the past and the more I see having the same issues I felt compelled to join. Same shuddering issues in 8th 9th and 10th with slight acceleration. Started at 500 miles 2days after I picked it up with 30 miles on it. Immediately back to dealer saying I wanted my 16 F15O back because I wasn’t dealing with transmission issues. Of course my 16 with not a single problem ever that had 97k sold immediately.. I even had them produce the paperwork to prove it!! Lol.. Dealer couldn’t replicate the shudder.Advised to put more miles.. learning…Blah Blah..So I put miles on it.. Still did it at times.. not always...Drove with Service manager on a different appointment and of course wouldn’t do it with him in the truck for an hour.. Ugh.. Shudder happened later that night.. Dealer had truck for a week and Service manager drove it back and forth to work.. couldn’t replicate.. Waiting on some recorder device they are supposed to hook up to the truck so when it happens I am to press a button…got the truck back and it ran fantastic for a week.. Slight shudder developed after a week here and there….I did also question if it is a gas related issue? I noticed a change sometimes from running smooth to shudder developing in high gears after total fill up?? Hmmmm.. I average 200-500 miles a week so I spend a lot of time in the truck.I now have 4500k miles and will say that the shudder events don’t seem to be as often but I am still going to have them put the recorder on when they get it. Pain in the A$$ fellow Ford owners to have to deal with this.

Sorry so long but I hope it helps some others. You have all helped me realize I am not overreacting!
Man your not kidding! I had a 2017 and would do anything To have that truck back, never had a single issue with it. Buy a 21 and already has 2 recalls one with windshield having to be removed paint sanded off and some new coating put in its place and windshield put back. Honestly I have ZERO faith in any dealer around me to be able to do this correctly and not screw something up, then horn would not work if you pushed on the right side of the horn found out the airbag cover was messed up and the had to replace the entire airbag, also as bullet mentioned my back seats one section is very noticeable higher than the other like something is under it holding it up when there is not, then this shudder issue! All this with under 1500 miles very extremely disappointed!

Nelson21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT 2.7 Eco
Man your not kidding! I had a 2017 and would do anything To have that truck back, never had a single issue with it. Buy a 21 and already has 2 recalls one with windshield having to be removed paint sanded off and some new coating put in its place and windshield put back. Honestly I have ZERO faith in any dealer around me to be able to do this correctly and not screw something up, then horn would not work if you pushed on the right side of the horn found out the airbag cover was messed up and the had to replace the entire airbag, also as bullet mentioned my back seats one section is very noticeable higher than the other like something is under it holding it up when there is not, then this shudder issue! All this with under 1500 miles very extremely disappointed!
I haven’t heard about the windshield recall yet and hope not too.. lol Previous posts have mentioned about the clunk noise.. I also have that at times on my 21 around 2nd 3rd and 4th but had that with my 16 and never an issue.. I chocked that noise up to being just Ford. I did have issues with my drivers window coming back down when I would put it back up but that worked it self out early on. I still do have an issue with my sun roof in the vent mode… When it’s vented and on the highway , I will go to close it and it will bounce back open.. it takes at least 2-3 times hitting the switch to get it to close.. Again when at the dealer they couldn’t get it to replicate.. I sent them a video when on the highway 10 minutes after I left the dealer letting them know I am not crazy.. lol The hands free moments from the cruise helped the filming..lol Wonder if Ford made that feature for that moment?? Hmmm lol
I have heard many say don’t buy the first model year… Never had any problems with my 16 and yes that was the second year but I guess I had confidence in Ford.. And now.. Not so much!!

Nelson21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT 2.7 Eco
Mine is going in for the same thing but I have a clunk from 10 to 9 and fix the air dam and rough idle. I will see what they have to say.
Rough idle when AC was turned on also but that has gone away the more miles that I put on.. Currently 5400 miles and shudder still there at times.. Good luck.. Looking forward to hearing what they say to you.
Sponsored