Sponsored

rlell

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang GT, 2020 Explorer ST, 2021 F-150
i believe all newer Airstreams have a tankless on demand water heater which is gas powered. I honestly don’t know it works other than when I turn on the hot water 10-15 secs later hot water pours out...not sure there’s an electric draw...maybe the pilot being lit. Anyone know...that sounds like a possible diagnosis.
Not sure about an RV but the Rinnai for my house still pulls powers to run a pump once it kicks on. It is also gas.
Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Using the 7.2kw propower to power our Bambi 16RB with no shore power for 2 days. A few quick observations/comments:

I’ll add more observations tomorrow if any come up. If anyone wants me to try anything or has a question let me know.
One question I have, don't think I have seen it answered elsewhere.

Can you remotely (i.e. while in bed in the RV) with the Ford Pass app start the generator mode?

Scenario, I'm thinking of, is boondocking. Have RV fitted up with good lithium batteries and solar for recharge during the day. Not running F150 in generator mode, as can probably get thru the night on RV batteries. But then deciding you do want to get up and run the A/C or make some late night microwave popcorn... but don't want to dress for leaving the RV to go into the F150.

Or do you have to physically either punch the Sync 4 screen, or punch the buttons at the outlets in the rear of the F150?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
One question I have, don't think I have seen it answered elsewhere.

Can you remotely (i.e. while in bed in the RV) with the Ford Pass app start the generator mode?

Scenario, I'm thinking of, is boondocking. Have RV fitted up with good lithium batteries and solar for recharge during the day. Not running F150 in generator mode, as can probably get thru the night on RV batteries. But then deciding you do want to get up and run the A/C or make some late night microwave popcorn... but don't want to dress for leaving the RV to go into the F150.

Or do you have to physically either punch the Sync 4 screen, or punch the buttons at the outlets in the rear of the F150?
This is an oversight by Ford, whether it was for safety or not I'm not sure. The truck has to be "on" first, which can be accomplished by the app or fob using remote start. However, as far as I can tell, you cannot turn the generator on except for the sync screen, physical center stack button, or rear bed green button.

I *absolutely* wanted to be able to turn it on or off while inside my trailer. Especially when it's cold, ready for bed and don't have shoes on, would have been great to turn it off for the night. Vice-versa in the morning for that morning coffee. But instead we're outside in pajamas waving to the neighbors as they kick start their gennies as well.

If anyone found a way, please share!

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
Terry, I didn't realize one's physical presence is needed - at the truck - to turn ProPower on. Yes, disappointing. Especially for someone with the 2.0KW ProPower (non-Powerboost) option. I wouldn't mind leaving Powerboost's ProPower system energized overnight. E.g. I was boondocking at the Grand Canyon a few days ago, overnight temp dropped to 25F, and so the furnace was my friend all night long. A Powerboost model would rarely need to cycle the engine to simply float the trailer's house battery bank. But for the 2.0KW folks, the engine has to run every time and for the length of the ProPower circuit's use, a big compromise.

Did you determine if you can shut down ProPower use, when it's energized, by doing the remote engine shut down sequence? At least, that would be something.

Pajamas? :rolleyes: That creates a certain mental image of roughing it...

Jack

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Terry, I didn't realize one's physical presence is needed - at the truck - to turn ProPower on. Yes, disappointing. Especially for someone with the 2.0KW ProPower (non-Powerboost) option. I wouldn't mind leaving Powerboost's ProPower system energized overnight. E.g. I was boondocking at the Grand Canyon a few days ago, overnight temp dropped to 25F, and so the furnace was my friend all night long. A Powerboost model would rarely need to cycle the engine to simply float the trailer's house battery bank. But for the 2.0KW folks, the engine has to run every time and for the length of the ProPower circuit's use, a big compromise.

Did you determine if you can shut down ProPower use, when it's energized, by doing the remote engine shut down sequence? At least, that would be something.

Jack
Ha! Well I just wear sweats and a tshirt, I don't own pajamas but neighbors were in flannels. I just meant "whatever you sleep in" generically.

I haven't tried a remote shutdown! That is an interesting idea though. I just gave up once I couldn't find an option in the app for anything in propower except doing a refresh to see the wattage.

Sponsored

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost

Jack
Can the FordPass app connect to the truck via Bluetooth or does it require a cell signal? Thinking about times I would be camping out of cell range - wondering if the app would be available then or not (assuming I'm close to the truck of course).

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Can the FordPass app connect to the truck via Bluetooth or does it require a cell signal? Thinking about times I would be camping out of cell range - wondering if the app would be available then or not (assuming I'm close to the truck of course).
If you are just wanting propower capability for reading the levels, you will be out of luck and have to check the sync screen. The app only uses cell, no direct BT or wifi

Ford F-150 Report from using 7.2kw ProPower generator at campsite without shore power Screenshot_20210426-104455_FordPass

For other Fordpass features I *think* you still need cell but I haven't tried them in no-service area with BT.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
If you are just wanting propower capability for reading the levels, you will be out of luck and have to check the sync screen. The app only uses cell, no direct BT or wifi

Screenshot_20210426-104455_FordPass.jpg

For other Fordpass features I *think* you still need cell but I haven't tried them in no-service area with BT.
Doh. That is what I expected to see unfortunately - I would have guessed that everything went through a cellular connection rather than direct to the truck but bummer all the same. Thanks for the detail!

FRED LAPP

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 power boost 7.2kw, 4x4
Occupation
OTR/Owner Operator
Maybe you should look into a Micro-Air Easy Start. it goes into your A/C and cuts down on the power draw at startup. I've got on on my 22' fb AS, and a Honda 2200 runs the unit just fine. My new F150, is scheduled to be built this week.

OP
OP
ricko24

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Maybe you should look into a Micro-Air Easy Start. it goes into your A/C and cuts down on the power draw at startup. I've got on on my 22' fb AS, and a Honda 2200 runs the unit just fine. My new F150, is scheduled to be built this week.
Does it void warranty? I’d imagine any rv shop can install it?

Sponsored

brandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Cabinet Maker
I was able to get an adapter from Home Depot that will let me use the 30amp plug for my trailer. Looking forward to trying that out when my truck comes in hopefully in a few weeks.

travelers too

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Very informative, thanks!
I would like to know if you are using the 120 volt (Pro Power) outlet or an adapter to convert the 220 volt to 120 volt, 30 amp.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
i believe all newer Airstreams have a tankless on demand water heater which is gas powered. I honestly don’t know it works other than when I turn on the hot water 10-15 secs later hot water pours out...not sure there’s an electric draw...maybe the pilot being lit. Anyone know...that sounds like a possible diagnosis.
@rick024, the tankless water heater is going to be spark ignition as opposed to a pilot light (I know almost nothing about campers but I'm well versed on tankless!)
Sponsored