Sponsored

Happy with 5.0?

M4X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat "Sport" FX4
I'm dying to see how close to a Mustang my coyote can get tossing around a Reg Cab\Short bed. It weighs in at nearly 1000lbs less than the 6-seat land yachts most people are pulling.
I'm anticipating a lot of FUN!
...someday:sneaky:
You're gonna need a supercharger to compete w/ a Stang (or at minimum a tuned/bolt on 3.5 EB can run w/ a stock 5.0 from red light 2 red light). (Source: I've had six mustangs lol.)
Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
You're gonna need a supercharger to compete w/ a Stang (or at minimum a tuned/bolt on 3.5 EB can run w/ a stock 5.0 from red light 2 red light). (Source: I've had six mustangs lol.)
"Compete with"? A supercharger and a bed full of bricks!
I wonder how a supercharger works with cylinder deactivation.... :oops:

No, I'm building an off road climbing machine, not a race car.

Deleted member 2919

Have you noticed your MPGs increasing as more miles get put on the truck? I have about 650 miles and am not getting anywhere near 25 mpgs. I have the 3.73 rear end. I also assume the AFE adjustment brought the MPG number down?
Yes, when I adjusted the AFE, my displayed MPG went down. I have noticed a gradual improvement in fuel economy overtime.

Getting 25mpg on a tank is not something I plan on achieving often. I was trying to see what the truck was capable of.

IMHO, 19.5-21.5mpg is very attainable for any 5.0l stock configuration{rear end, 4x4,etc}if driven in a reasonable manner. I have 3.31 4x2. My lifetime at the pump is 20.8 but it is improving. This includes me driving like a clown more often than I ever did in any other vehicle.

The biggest variable that I have noticed is in the octane and quality of gasoline. Premium gasoline from ExxonMobil and Shell are amazingly better than Valero, Kroger, Bucees, etc, and that ain't no jive.

I am happy to help any of y'all out if there are more questions.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Have you noticed your MPGs increasing as more miles get put on the truck? I have about 650 miles and am not getting anywhere near 25 mpgs. I have the 3.73 rear end. I also assume the AFE adjustment brought the MPG number down?
gradually moving up on the lifetime meter
Started at 11.6 and with 2k on the clock it is at 19.8 as of this morning.
Meter is about 3/4 mpg optimistic. Actual is right at 19.
Trip two reset abt every fill up is showing 20.3

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Yes, I am very happy with the 5.0. I just completed a 2 day trip, mostly interstate but some 2 lane highway, some rush hour traffic (slow, with a few stops) through Phoenix this morning. I am not a fast driver, running the speed limits mostly, except on the intersrate. Speed limit is 75 here, but I run 70. Otherwise 65 in 65, 60 in 55. Truck is a Platinum, 4x2, 3.15 gear, and a tonneau cover. Two people. Total miles was 544, and the hand calculated mpg came out at 25.04. One tank of gas (36 gal tank), no intermediate gas stops, filled to second click at start and end. Regular gas...no premium. 3475 total miles on truck at the end of the trip. Michelin Defender tires, stock size, no mods. I am extremely pleased with that!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Deleted member 2919

Yes, I am very happy with the 5.0. I just completed a 2 day trip, mostly interstate but some 2 lane highway, some rush hour traffic (slow, with a few stops) through Phoenix this morning. I am not a fast driver, running the speed limits mostly, except on the intersrate. Speed limit is 75 here, but I run 70. Otherwise 65 in 65, 60 in 55. Truck is a Platinum, 4x2, 3.15 gear, and a tonneau cover. Two people. Total miles was 544, and the hand calculated mpg came out at 25.04. One tank of gas (36 gal tank), no intermediate gas stops, filled to second click at start and end. 3475 total miles on truck at the end of the trip. Michelin Defender tires, stock size, no mods. I am extremely pleased with that!!
The 5.0 is the real deal. Get ready for the haters to dismiss your excellent fuel economy on a V8 400hp full size truck.

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
No doubt... Many will say that it's no fun to drive that way... let the V8 roar!!!

To each their own. I got mine to travel with, not to win drag races. My point with the post was to illustrate what CAN be done with the 5.0 if you just set the cruise control and let it run. YMMV

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
I just did a 16 hour round trip interstate. FX4 in 2wd mode, 3.73, 35lbs in the tires and most of the time around 75 with 4 adults / lots of luggage in the bed.

On the way down I sat behind the other car we were with and let the cruise maintain the distance. When he slowed we slowed then sped up etc so prob not the most efficient way to travel but easy for the long run of 3 hours at a time between stretch the legs stops.

Averaged around 23mpg and then down to 21mpg once the air conditioning went on. Pretty happy and it didn't miss a beat.

Last edited:

Silverbullet87r

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 5.0
I just bought a 5.0 FX4 with the 3.31s and have about 500 miles on my truck. Im averaging about 22-24mpg lately and coming from a 19 tacoma that got 21ish on a good day I'm thrilled with the 5.0. The only thing that is slightly annoying is the auto start/stop but that's on all manufacturers trucks now.

Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I just bought a 5.0 FX4 with the 3.31s and have about 500 miles on my truck. Im averaging about 22-24mpg lately and coming from a 19 tacoma that got 21ish on a good day I'm thrilled with the 5.0. The only thing that is slightly annoying is the auto start/stop but that's on all manufacturers trucks now.
You'll really like this video.
They show you a very simple way to eliminate cylinder deactivation AND auto stop start with one simple, easily reversible fix.
This video starts with a good run down about the controversial "oil pump belt". Then shows how to disable deact & start-stop.

I plan to do this just during the break in period. Once my 5.0 is broken in I'll let it start deactivating cylinders when it want's to.

Then I'll install one of these to put an end to auto stop-start (except when I want it) because I find it so annoying.
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/.../products/2021-ford-f-150-autostop-eliminator

They also have a video showing how to install it. Looks pretty simple.

Silverbullet87r

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 5.0
You'll really like this video.
They show you a very simple way to eliminate cylinder deactivation AND auto stop start with one simple, easily reversible fix.
This video starts with a good run down about the controversial "oil pump belt". Then shows how to disable deact & start-stop.

I plan to do this just during the break in period. Once my 5.0 is broken in I'll let it start deactivating cylinders when it want's to.

Then I'll install one of these to put an end to auto stop-start (except when I want it) because I find it so annoying.
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/.../products/2021-ford-f-150-autostop-eliminator

They also have a video showing how to install it. Looks pretty simple.
Awesome thanks for the info!

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SuperCrew Platinum 5.0 4x4 6.5'
Picked up the 2021 SuperCrew Platinum 5.0L 6'7" 4x4 w/3.31 last week, but was working from home. On MON of this week, I filled it up (36g) and reset the computer.

While I know it's just the dash and not a hand calculated number (I don't have enough fill ups to start that yet), I set the cruise @ 70 mph and enjoy 47 of the 52 mile one way commute. Did this just to see what it would do.

After ~380 miles, the average is 22.2 MPG, and that's on a truck that has just reached 400 miles on the odo.

SILVERBULLET69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YOUR GLOVE BOX LIGHT IS ON
I drove mine home from the dealership in Springfield Mo back to Kansas city Mo . Once i got out of town and on the highway MPG's were between 23 and 28.
obviously in town is less around 18 in ECO mode both times. I'll have a better average
over the next week going to wrk 24 miles round trip 1/2 hwy 1/2 city.
*also have the 3.15 rear end
Sponsored

Last edited: