First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
I picked up a 3.5 ecoboost on 2/28. Has around 300 miles on it. I’m noticing when I’m barely on the throttle and between the 8th and 10th gear there is a shudder in the transmission. Almost like driving over a rumble strip but not as quite pronounced. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Update: Ford has released a fix for this. TSB 22-2224 recalibrates the PCM. See pic below:

Ford F-150 Transmission shudder 0CC8DAA7-2406-46DE-BCCE-DE993A6EF7AD
Sponsored

Last edited:

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502A | 3.5L PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Admin | Software Developer
Your not alone. My new lariat does it in 9th gear. It feels like a dull torque converter shudder.
I’m going to drive it a couple hundred more miles to see if it just breaking in.

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
I’m up to 500 miles now and it seems to be getting better. I have an an appointment with the dealer this week to have my rear seats replaced and they’re going to take a look at this issue as well. I’ll report back

Gator87

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 ecoboost
My 21 3.5 ecoboost is doing this exact same thing, did you ever figure this out?

Gator87

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 ecoboost
I’m up to 500 miles now and it seems to be getting better. I have an an appointment with the dealer this week to have my rear seats replaced and they’re going to take a look at this issue as well. I’ll report back
Did your dealer find anything on this issue?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bullett

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Accountant
My dealer said something about the transmission learns your driving habits for the first 1k miles and to come back after my truck has 1k miles on it. Not sure how much of that I believe but once it hits 1k it’s going back. It still shudders

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
This isn't directed at anyone specifically in this post, just sharing my early morning pre-coffee thoughts. I always hear this "learning" thing on the internet or from service centers, but it seems like BS to me. With millions of people driving specific transmissions in cars and trucks, I doubt there is that much difference in "pedal depressing styles" that machine learning is needed to tune a transmission after production. In any other product or application, adaptive coding determines paths based on input. Also, some days users may be soft on the pedal, while other days, they may be heavy. I have a hard time believing that any tranny would stick to a single mapping. Add in all the different drive modes which can impact throttle response, are those complicated by "learning" a driver. Add in if a household has multiple drivers or the vehicle tows 50% of the time. If they can program drive modes, then they can program trannys to not hard shift or shudder out of the gate. So to me saying there is learning is either lazy in execution by the manufacturer or lazy in explanation by the service center or just BS. If there are any tranny experts out there, I'd love to get schooled on this, otherwise I'll always be skeptical. ymmv.

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Sorry to hear your problem. So far my PB is so smooth can barely tell it changes gears. Smoothest vehicle I’ve ever owned

Gator87

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 ecoboost
My dealer said something about the transmission learns your driving habits for the first 1k miles and to come back after my truck has 1k miles on it. Not sure how much of that I believe but once it hits 1k it’s going back. It still shudders
Well mine has 2k miles now and still same shudder, has not gotten any better

Sponsored

Gator87

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 ecoboost
Have you taken it in?
I have and got the same spill about it needs to learn my driving habits but yet I tried to explain I had a 19 model that did not do this and my dad has an 20 model and his does not do this Looks like this is going to be fun to get fixed

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
This isn't directed at anyone specifically in this post, just sharing my early morning pre-coffee thoughts. I always hear this "learning" thing on the internet or from service centers, but it seems like BS to me. With millions of people driving specific transmissions in cars and trucks, I doubt there is that much difference in "pedal depressing styles" that machine learning is needed to tune a transmission after production. In any other product or application, adaptive coding determines paths based on input. Also, some days users may be soft on the pedal, while other days, they may be heavy. I have a hard time believing that any tranny would stick to a single mapping. Add in all the different drive modes which can impact throttle response, are those complicated by "learning" a driver. Add in if a household has multiple drivers or the vehicle tows 50% of the time. If they can program drive modes, then they can program trannys to not hard shift or shudder out of the gate. So to me saying there is learning is either lazy in execution by the manufacturer or lazy in explanation by the service center or just BS. If there are any tranny experts out there, I'd love to get schooled on this, otherwise I'll always be skeptical. ymmv.
Get an OBD2 read and reset your engine or trans and you can feel the difference. FYI your battery can be reset and relearned also

Gator87

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 ecoboost
Get an OBD2 read and reset your engine or trans and you can feel the difference. FYI your battery can be reset and relearned also
Mine has been reset by dealer and didn’t change my issue at all. It going back next Tuesday as I’m so disappointed in my truck

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
So mine has just started a slight shudder when I’m turning and starting to go from a stop. My truck skips 2nd gear almost every time I get going unless I’m flooring it. So wondering if it’s the hop from 1 to 3. The feeling is almost like when your turning with 4wd on but roads are dry....

to clarify, there is nothing earth shattering on mine, and I’m very nit picky so don’t let this scare anyone.Has def changed since first 1000 miles though.

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Hey Bullett,
Just curious why are your seats being replaced?
Sponsored