Sponsored

Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau?

OP
OP

Lingcod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
This is exactly why I got the Lomax tri-fold. It is quick release (no tools) removable, and no loose nuts to keep track of. That way I can fit bikes lengthwise in the bed on those rare occasions. The bak/undercover require a little extra to remove. The lomax also doesn't have the final propped position but that wasn't something I cared about, I'd rather remove it than prop it.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/tonneau-covers-recommendations-and-pics.3067/post-46068

Every single time this thread gets started, you'll get 75% of the posts just stating what they got and why it is the best. You'll need to state what the most important factors for you are, and I think people can help more.

• profile (above bed)
  • weight
  • propping ability
  • security
  • removability
  • cost
  • bed space consumed (canister or peragon)
  • bed length lost in final position (if not removed)
  • tailgate interference
  • water tightness (not sure any are perfect?)
  • overall sexiness
  • color matching ability
  • durability (and mfg warranty)
Great feedback. At this point, I'm not really happy with anything out there. For whatever style, the compromises are too big. Thus my wheels are turning . . . . Btw appreciate you mentioning "overall sexiness." A sleek, nearly flush, high quality appearance is important to me.
Sponsored

LA1401

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021Lariat 502a Supercab
Occupation
government employee
Love my 2011 5.0, but considering a 2021 Limited. A great tonneau cover is important, but I’ve been frustrated with what’s out there. Want high security, so won’t consider a soft tonneau.

Hard tonneau covers are basically three types: 1) roll-up, 2) hard folding (e.g., BAKFlip MX4), or 3) retractable (e.g., RetraxPRO MX). But each type has its own very significant drawback(s), at least to me:

1. Roll-up: blocks some of rear view. When rolled up, still intrudes horizontally into bed significantly (about 12 inches), taking up valuable bed space. Pretty much only fully open or fully closed. Aesthetically so-so.

2. Hard folding: when folded up, completely blocks rear view. Some wind resistance. Some lean on rear window.

3. Retractable: canisters take up a ton of bed room: about 12-14” horizontally, and almost as much vertically. There’s one that takes up less at around 8.5”, but not thrilled with quality.

The wheels in this semi-retired entrepreneur’s head are turning. Would love to hear you guys’ opinions on what you think would be the PERFECT tonneau cover? Features, specs, price, appearance, etc. How important is the ability to handle a significant distributed load? Is the option for T-slots (Yakima, etc.,) important? Warranty?

Is what’s out there good enough? For example a lot of people love the BAKFlip MX4. Is that because they’re totally fine with completely obstructing the rear view? Would that happy MX4 customer opt for something else that was much more “perfect?”

Really appreciate your input!
I have a Peragon bed cover waiting in the garage for a truck to put it on. Perfect for my needs. peragon.com

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
I'm looking for a cover and the zero tool removal, low profile without needing the drainage tubes are the reasons the lomax tri-fold is currently at the top of my list.

The bakflip mx4, and other trifold removal processes just sound like the lomax with extra steps.
Take a look at the Leer 650. Quad fold so you can still see the third tail light if it’s all the way up. No drain tubes. Very flush fit. I got it on autoanything.com for $900 delivered.
Only thing I could wish for would be a Linex coating on it but I may have that done.

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? BE7A2BCA-9887-4DF0-A175-C8212DF8843B

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? 8DABB698-88E7-40FD-9B15-C937550BBF67

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? 7A1F8BC3-23D8-47F8-9462-66CC019786E4

Ford F-150 Frustrated With Tonneau Search...Perfect Tonneau? 19FB03E1-3E0A-4DD1-98A5-A5E1BFD7EAE1

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I've used eight Retrax covers - they are great and you don't lose as much utility as you'd think because a lot of what you need length for can fit underneath the box - sheets of drywall, plywood, lumber, etc - you can still use the entire bed length, and plenty of other stuff fits under there on camping trips, etc.. I've had them since 2006 on everything from a Honda Ridgeline to two Superduties and five F-150's of various lengths, al models, including the electric retracting (not needed complexity). They are rock solid, super-easy to use, and the few times I've needed the extra space to carry a motorcycle across the whole country, fairly easy to take off and put back on.

tbell_1

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 502A Lariat on order, current: '19 501A
Occupation
Maintenance Planner
I'm looking for a hard folding cover that will lock partially open - so you could flip just the last section up.. I think Bak made one that you would have to unlock each section as you flipped it up... Blocking the rear window isn't a problem for me, my last 4 trucks were all ordered with mirrors on each door :) plus I think the latest one has a cargo camera... The cover has to look good and be reasonably water tight, though that being said, the soft folds I've owned up till this point have done a reasonable job in that department. I'd love it if someone made a reasonably priced product, <$1k, alas, the price of everything is crazy these days... Retractable's look awesome, but in a 5.5' bed, space is just to valuable to take up.. A Hard roll-up like that revolution x4 is on my short list still as well..

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer

bryantbus

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
95 Mustang Cobra, 16 Flex Lmt, 17 Taurus Lmt
I am planning on getting the Retrax Pro XR. Our needs are to cover the bed, and to have the ability to carry our kayaks on a ladder rack. I would like to be able to open the cover when the ladder rack is on and potentially while kayaks are installed.

The Retrax was nice as I could lock the cover at various open positions to just expose a portion of the bed and would cover the needs described above.

The options out their really are based on your actual needs. I would have had a harder time making my mind up on a flip or retractable if it wasn’t for the need of the ladder rack. The window covering when fully open was not a desire, so would have had to be one I could remove easily and store in the bed with whatever I would be hauling.

OP
OP

Lingcod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I am planning on getting the Retrax Pro XR. Our needs are to cover the bed, and to have the ability to carry our kayaks on a ladder rack. I would like to be able to open the cover when the ladder rack is on and potentially while kayaks are installed.

The Retrax was nice as I could lock the cover at various open positions to just expose a portion of the bed and would cover the needs described above.

The options out their really are based on your actual needs. I would have had a harder time making my mind up on a flip or retractable if it wasn’t for the need of the ladder rack. The window covering when fully open was not a desire, so would have had to be one I could remove easily and store in the bed with whatever I would be hauling.
Thanks for the good explanation of parameters. Curious--what causes you to possibly lean back toward a flip type if it wasn't for the need of the ladder rack?

OP
OP

Lingcod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I'm looking for a hard folding cover that will lock partially open - so you could flip just the last section up.. I think Bak made one that you would have to unlock each section as you flipped it up... Blocking the rear window isn't a problem for me, my last 4 trucks were all ordered with mirrors on each door :) plus I think the latest one has a cargo camera... The cover has to look good and be reasonably water tight, though that being said, the soft folds I've owned up till this point have done a reasonable job in that department. I'd love it if someone made a reasonably priced product, <$1k, alas, the price of everything is crazy these days... Retractable's look awesome, but in a 5.5' bed, space is just to valuable to take up.. A Hard roll-up like that revolution x4 is on my short list still as well..
Totally get it. It's hard for me to fathom why many retractables approach $2K in price.

Sponsored

bryantbus

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
95 Mustang Cobra, 16 Flex Lmt, 17 Taurus Lmt
Thanks for the good explanation of parameters. Curious--what causes you to possibly lean back toward a flip type if it wasn't for the need of the ladder rack?
Well, it wouldn’t be a full lean, just that the flip would be back as an option to consider. The retractable space was something I would like to avoid and made the flip interesting as I could remove it. But then it was still having to cover window or remove as a negative. I was really have a hard time with the two in those areas until I had my ah ha moment of the ladder rack making the decision for me.

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
This is exactly why I got the Lomax tri-fold. It is quick release (no tools) removable, and no loose nuts to keep track of. That way I can fit bikes lengthwise in the bed on those rare occasions. The bak/undercover require a little extra to remove. The lomax also doesn't have the final propped position but that wasn't something I cared about, I'd rather remove it than prop it.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/tonneau-covers-recommendations-and-pics.3067/post-46068

Every single time this thread gets started, you'll get 75% of the posts just stating what they got and why it is the best. You'll need to state what the most important factors for you are, and I think people can help more.

• profile (above bed)
  • weight
  • propping ability
  • security
  • removability
  • cost
  • bed space consumed (canister or peragon)
  • bed length lost in final position (if not removed)
  • tailgate interference
  • water tightness (not sure any are perfect?)
  • overall sexiness
  • color matching ability
  • durability (and mfg warranty)
You sir are right on point!
I’m with you....perfect list of consideration.
I’m on my 3rd LoMax cover on as many new trucks. This doesn’t make our choice the only correct choice, but at least we’re happy!

JakeFlorida

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 5.0L, 4x4, Max Tow, 2 tone paint
Which model rebrand is the LineX?
The Truck Gear by LINE-X® LXP Cover safeguards your cargo with heavy-duty folding panels that are reinforced with a LINE-X® coating for extreme resistance to damage.
Saw it the other day, it really looked good.

Ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150, Soon to be 2021 hybrid
My Truck coming soon..... or eventually..... who knows, but I've started to look at accessories so....
What about some combo retractable / toolbox. Either a retractable cover coming out from the back of a toolbox OR very shallow toolbox (even with top of bed rails) atop a retractable cover? Or something else? Anyone have suggestions? What..., if anything is out there if you want both the tool box and a cover?
Sponsored

Last edited: