• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
Clearly Not A Standard F-150 Center Stack
While the engineers kept the interior heavily shrouded, there is no question that the standard F-150 dashboard design has been heavily modified on this prototype. The current F-150’s 12-inch screen is topped by a thick hood with beveled corners, incorporating physical buttons above the display. The EV prototype photographed here shows clear hints of a vertically-oriented, tablet-style screen with a smoothly-integrated outer bezel— with no signs of any surrounding trim. In other words, it looks like the Mustang Mach-E’s 15.5-inch infotainment screen.

A Direct Match With 2023 Expedition's Big Mach-E-Style Screen
Bringing the Mach-E’s screen to one of Ford’s big truck platforms is nothing new, as Ford has been testing facelifted 2023 Expedition prototypes with what appears to be the Mach-E’s massive screen since last fall. We have clear photos that prove it (see last photo). Comparing what we can see of the F-150 EV’s infotainment screen with the ’23 Expedition’s Mach-E-style display, and they are an exact match.

Sharing Screens Among Its EVs Makes Sense—And Ford Made It Easier To Do So
Ford’s strategy to go big on the Expedition’s screen seems extra savvy, as it made the possibility of a huge tech-friendly display in its most forward-thinking, fully-electric F-150 something of a plug-and-play proposition. Also, equipping its two flagship EVs with the same screen will allow Ford to use the same user interface when it comes to considerations specific to an electric vehicle. Things like mapping for EV charging locations, range projections, etc. can be consistent with the Mach-E and F-150. Further, the time and investment in improving those interfaces can benefit now both vehicles via over-the-air software updates. As Ford navigates the tricky new world of EVs, streamlining the user interface and functionality over multiple vehicles make a lot of sense.

F-150 Familiarity, But With More Modern Amenities
Instead of creating something “out there” like the Tesla Cybertruck, Ford is instead banking on the familiarity and brand loyalty of the F-150 lineup. So, despite clear design differences in its front-fascia, tail-lights, and fenders, Ford’s electrified F-series will still be instantly recognizable as an F-150. Recent internet rumors even stated that the F-150 would simply share its interior and screens with the rest of the ICE F-150 lineup. We can confidently say that this doesn’t appear to be the case. To our eyes, Ford will offer a big, Tesla-style screen in its F-150 EV, at least optionally.

F-150 EV Rear Suspension
The rear suspension design differs greatly from the F-150 EV mule, which made the PR rounds over the last year. The new rear suspension and integrated rear electric motor is a complete clean-sheet design, with none of the apparent parts-sharing that seemed to be the case on the mule. Reports suggest that Ford is utilizing the Magna eBeam system, which has the electric motor housed within the differential or rear axle. Initial presentation of the eBeam suggested use with a leaf-spring suspension, but the F-150 is clearly using independent rear suspension with coil springs. The rear motor, seen here well-protected by a skid plate, does resemble the eBeam system, however.

We’ve spotted the F-150 EV with two new wheel designs, and two tire specifications. One prototype is running on new EV-specific aero wheels wearing General Grabber tires. Another prototype is wearing 275/65R18 Michelin Primacy tires, with a different wheel design. One prototype is equipped with running boards, another is not. It seems that multiple trim levels are under test at this time.

Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-1

FORD EXPEDITION PROTOTYPE:

Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-4

F-150 vs EXPEDITION PROTOTYPE COMPARISON:

Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-2
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-3
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-16
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-17
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-5
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-6
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-7
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-8
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-9
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-10
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-11
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-12
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-13
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-14
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-15
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-18
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-19
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-20
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-21
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-22
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-23
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-24
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-25
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-26
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-27
Ford F-150 Lightning Electric F-150 Prototype Caught With Large Mach-E-Style Infotainment Screen ev-f150-electric-mache-large-infotainment-screen-28
Sponsored

Deleted member 2919

Not my cup of tea, but PB guys will probably love that screen.

Instead of posting MPG data on 14 mile trips, they will post MPG data on 14.384152679 mile trips...

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Not a fan of the tablet glued to the dash look most new cars are sporting and really was hoping the integration of the 12” screen in the F150 and Bronco was going to change that trend.

Hopefully still will because if I wanted that look I would have just velcro’d an iPad to the center stack of my 2011 escape and saved myself 50k.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I'm not going to speak for the PB guys, but this PB owner likes the screen in my current truck and would prefer that they stick with that. I like the tech of the touch screen, but I also like physical buttons. The 2021 has a good mix of both. They can say what they want, I don't think Ford is designing the All-Electric F-150 for guys who own a pair of work gloves.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Speaking as one of the PB guys, I hate it. I think Ford nailed it with the 12'' screen with all the physical buttons, in fact that was one of the reasons I went with Ford. I actually wish there were even more buttons, like for selecting the specific drive mode.

Is it so hard to make an all electric vehicle that's not controlled by a giant iPad? Physical controls rule, and I'm willing to bet good money the people who want an E-F-150 are not the same kind of crowd as someone who wants a Tesla.

Sponsored

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
I will never buy one so I don't care if the whole dash is a screen.

john.noonan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150, VW GTI
Occupation
IT Project Manager
I am really not a fan of that style of screen. I prefer the 12" display on the ICE F150. I am also a fan of analog buttons, I had a Ford Edge back in 2013 that had the heated seat buttons on the screen and it was very annoying on a cold morning that I had to wait for the computer start up to turn on the heated seats. I also do not like the trend of losing the shifter for dials or sliders.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
A 12" screen as on the PB is NOT going to cut it. That's a hybrid and I appreciate the old-school switches. But my son has a Mach-E and for an full EV, it has a way better mix of switches and touch screen control. My Tesla Model X is all touch screen and is truly great. It is 17", which is twice the area of a 12" screen. Going forward, a 12" screen will look like an 8" screen looks today. Just not enough for modern needs as we phase into self-driving. I hear all you "not me" folks, but you are like my old boss who insisted his secretary keep her typewriter because word processing was a passing fad.

Sponsored

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
Big mistake going to tablet style infotainment...way too much area down low that takes your eyes too far from the road. I'll be glad when this trend passes and we get back to high-mounted landscape screens again. That said, I'd just buy a Rivian R1T if I wanted an electric truck. It's their hardware underpinning the electric F150 anyway.

Longhorngary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F150 302A soon to be 2021 F150 KR PB
Speaking as one of the PB guys, I hate it. I think Ford nailed it with the 12'' screen with all the physical buttons, in fact that was one of the reasons I went with Ford. I actually wish there were even more buttons, like for selecting the specific drive mode.

Is it so hard to make an all electric vehicle that's not controlled by a giant iPad? Physical controls rule, and I'm willing to bet good money the people who want an E-F-150 are not the same kind of crowd as someone who wants a Tesla.
I agreed...I like everything about my PB's 12 inch screen with the exception that I wish they had given us physical radio preset buttons.

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget