Sponsored

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
After driving a 2007 Tundra since new with zero issues, I really wanted to wait for the 2022 Tundra, but I am not prepared to wait yet another year, and despite the Tundra being the most reliable , the fuel economy is horrendous, and it has no locking axle. The Rams have all of the gizmos and gadgets , but between the poor reliability record, and the lack of a competitive engine, I couldn't consider it as an option. GM had no competitive engine either, so that left me with the F-150. I had two Lemmon Fords previously in the 90s, but with no real options, I am giving Ford another chance.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
After driving a 2007 Tundra since new with zero issues, I really wanted to wait for the 2022 Tundra, but I am not prepared to wait yet another year, and despite the Tundra being the most reliable , the fuel economy is horrendous, and it has no locking axle. The Rams have all of the gizmos and gadgets , but between the poor reliability record, and the lack of a competitive engine, I couldn't consider it as an option. GM had no competitive engine either, so that left me with the F-150. I had two Lemmon Fords previously in the 90s, but with no real options, I am giving Ford another chance.
And then there was one...

Welcome back to the Fold fold!!

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
For 2021 I feel Ford F150 is the best option. While I have always driven fords, in going with the F150 I wanted to genuinely give others a chance.

I test drove several Tundras and not only did the interior feel terribly outdated but the ride and handling was not as good to me.

I’m into high tech so the Ram sounded interesting but in seeing how the screen was integrated I was turned off and also poor reliability reputation.

GM to me seemed outdated as well.

I also tried the small truck offerings of each but ultimately decided to go with the F150.

Maybe it’s a comfort/style thing from already being used to ford designs but it just felt the most like home to me.

I really did go into Toyota thinking with all the good things I hear this will be my next truck and kinda felt disappointed that it seemed so much like an old truck. I have also heard rumors that Toyota is dropping the V8 for 2022 which for me would also kill it.

Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
50 less HP and 11 mpg less in town was all I needed to know about the Tundra. And the interior looks a decade old. Figures why Ford out sells them 8:1.

Ford F-150 Hands On Opinion -- Half Ton Truck Interiors Compared: 2021 F-150 vs Tundra, Silverado, Sierra, Gladiator, Ram 1500 ? iu

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
50 less HP and 11 mpg less in town was all I needed to know about the Tundra. And the interior looks a decade old. Figures why Ford out sells them 8:1.

iu.jpeg
The Tundra holds one distinction, it has been the most reliable pickup for many years. But that was not enough to have me buy a 2021 Tundra. Other than cosmetics, and a larger fuel tank, it is no different than my 2007. It has simply fallen behind, and that won't change until the 2022 Tundra is released.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Tundra holds one distinction, it has been the most reliable pickup for many years. But that was not enough to have me buy a 2021 Tundra. Other than cosmetics, and a larger fuel tank, it is no different than my 2007. It has simply fallen behind, and that won't change until the 2022 Tundra is released.
That was my thought as well. It’s a fact the Tundra has been on the same em generation with only minor updates since 2007. Almost just like Nissan has done with their Frontier.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Wrangler JLU; 20 Navigator L; 19 Volvo XC60 T8
I'm really struggling with this decision. I thought I was all sold on a Ram Limited EcoDiesel (comfort, ride, highway economy being my primary preferences) but driving the new Ford PowerBoost has me hedging.

I love the ride and interior of the Ram but the new Ford is right there. I like the split tailgate and available Ram Boxes on the Ram but are they needed? Yes I want the diesel for max economy but it's not really that reliable and dependable. Maybe the PowerBoost is the nice middle compromise in terms of economy?

I love the GM Duramax but those interiors are hideous.

I think I am going to wait to see what the fall brings as GM brings the Tahoe, Yukon interiors over and see if Ram has a few things up their sleeve. Maybe the Tundra as well. Feels like this supply problem might be here to stay for a while. Part of me just says, screw it ... and run off to find an F-150 somewhere.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm really struggling with this decision. I thought I was all sold on a Ram Limited EcoDiesel (comfort, ride, highway economy being my primary preferences) but driving the new Ford PowerBoost has me hedging.

I love the ride and interior of the Ram but the new Ford is right there. I like the split tailgate and available Ram Boxes on the Ram but are they needed? Yes I want the diesel for max economy but it's not really that reliable and dependable. Maybe the PowerBoost is the nice middle compromise in terms of economy?

I love the GM Duramax but those interiors are hideous.

I think I am going to wait to see what the fall brings as GM brings the Tahoe, Yukon interiors over and see if Ram has a few things up their sleeve. Maybe the Tundra as well. Feels like this supply problem might be here to stay for a while. Part of me just says, screw it ... and run off to find an F-150 somewhere.

I don’t see Chevrolet making any drastic changes as I think they had a mid-cycle refresh just a year or two ago if I recall correctly.

Toyota has yet to debut their next gen Tundra, but it should be all new for 2022.

Of course, I’m a tad biased, but the Ford is incredibly well appointed in reference to its interior.

Go ahead, just go grab ya a PowerBoost!!

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Wrangler JLU; 20 Navigator L; 19 Volvo XC60 T8
I don’t see Chevrolet making any drastic changes as I think they had a mid-cycle refresh just a year or two ago if I recall correctly.

Toyota has yet to debut their next gen Tundra, but it should be all new for 2022.

Of course, I’m a tad biased, but the Ford is incredibly well appointed in reference to its interior.

Go ahead, just go grab ya a PowerBoost!!
I think it's official that the GMs are changing their interior but I could be mistaken.

I like your thinking though ... just do it :) Feeling it might be hard to find one the way I want it though. Fortunately I don't need one yet.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think it's official that the GMs are changing their interior but I could be mistaken.

I like your thinking though ... just do it :) Feeling it might be hard to find one the way I want it though. Fortunately I don't need one yet.

You may know better than me at this point. I try to keep up with what all the manufacturers are doing, but may have missed something.

Not having to buy is a good position to be in!

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
I did a lot of research on Tundras. My buddy has one and it's a fine truck, runs well. That being said, there's an issue that could potentially affect any Tundra's made since 2007, cam shaft oil leak that requires open heart surgery to fix. A huge thread on the Tundra forums about it, looks like Toyota just never bothered to fix it, even in the 2021 model.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/cam-shaft-tower-seal-leaking-please-read.20102/

So that, plus how inefficient it is, plus how relatively ancient its tech is...F-150 all the way.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did a lot of research on Tundras. My buddy has one and it's a fine truck, runs well. That being said, there's an issue that could potentially affect any Tundra's made since 2007, cam shaft oil leak that requires open heart surgery to fix. A huge thread on the Tundra forums about it, looks like Toyota just never bothered to fix it, even in the 2021 model.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/cam-shaft-tower-seal-leaking-please-read.20102/

So that, plus how inefficient it is, plus how relatively ancient its tech is...F-150 all the way.

Great point.

MannyManX

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram 1500
New guy here.
Driving a 2019 Ram 1500.
This is a great thread with a lot of good information, Thank you for that.
I love my Ram but I need a change in my life, So I'm really considering the new F150,
The only problem is, YOU CAN'T GET THEM!!! :LOL:
Sponsored