Sponsored

What do you use to wash your truck at home?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
I was wondering what is everyone's technique for cleaning their truck? With my last truck I tried the 2 bucket method but seems to take a long time. I was considering getting a foam cannon and trying that method. Can anyone recommend a good foam cannon and cleaner?
Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Ford F-150 What do you use to wash your truck at home? 16182307452864896827343087089440
The guy who did my ceramic coating recommends this.

For foam cannon reviews, check out Pan the Organizer on YouTube.

desertlivin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3, 2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Network Architect
I have been using this foam gun and it works quite well.
https://www.mckees37.com/mk37-half-gallon-foam-gun.html

I have been using this same setup on a few cars now, my F-150 included. I still have a soapy bucket with a wash mitt. I blast the vehicle with the foam cannon first, then go over it with the soapy mitt. After that I rinse and dry one section of the truck at a time to prevent hard water stains.

McKees37 also has some great waxes and polishes. I generally wax once a year, and use their paint sealant twice a year. It makes each was much easier to do and a lot less time consuming with the vehicle looking fantastic when done.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
I used a foam cannon (do by by hand) and products from Chemical Guys. A lot of their products are also found in the automotive section of Walmart. Never had issues with affecting my paint It ends up glassy smooth - with a great wet type shine. 100% comfortable using their products.

Last edited:

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
It’s gonna take some time because it’s big. Mine is ceramic coated so it washes easier. My method:
- Wash wheels with Griots green wheel cleaner and wool small hand mit. Use brush on white lettering, or Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
- Wash truck top to bottom using Griots microfiber hand mit and their wash, single bucket. Never rub hard.
- Open hood to let water run off. Dry using Griots microfiber drying towels. Two passes, two towels. Inspect all towels for debris before using.
- Use a third dedicated towel to dry door jambs, wheel wells, wheels, inside hood and tailgate.
- Empty and shake out floor mats, wipe down interior and glass, treat tires and exterior plastic every other time
- No treatment of any type on interior
- Use a stool or stand inside doors to get high parts. It’s a pain

Takes 45-60m start to finish. About 10m more than my cars.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jwgreene

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT supercrew in leadfoot with 5.0
I was wondering what is everyone's technique for cleaning their truck? With my last truck I tried the 2 bucket method but seems to take a long time. I was considering getting a foam cannon and trying that method. Can anyone recommend a good foam cannon and cleaner?
I use 3D Pink Soap and a $20 foam cannon from Amazon that is highly recommended and it works great. I still use the two bucket method on top of the foam using microfiber wash mitts. Wheels first using iron x, then foam and 2 bucket wash. Follow that up with a spray wax while it’s wet to both dry and spread some gloss. The wax provides an added lubrication/barrier to micro scratches that can be gotten with towel drying if not super careful.
A good detailed wash takes awhile on trucks this size ...... don’t skimp on the necessary steps used to maintain and protect the paint in order to save some time.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
@bleedgreen4133,

I’ve long done the 2-bucket/microfiber mitt method and it works well. Many detailers swear by it for reducing the chances of introducing tiny scratches in the Clearcoat.

Even better is to use a touch-less prewash, as with a foam cannon. That removes most of the grime and softens the remainder before you use the 2-bucket/mitt step to mechanically agitate.

I recently purchased a snow cannon (Adam’s) and the new CarPro product ‘Lift’, based on reviews including Pan The Organizer. I used bit just this weekend on my wife’s Explorer (in month 4 waiting for my F-150) and was very impressed.

Then I followed up with the 2-bucket clean with a microfiber mitt. Boy that car was squeaky clean!

(I was so inspired that I even deconned the wheels, clay barred the car, and coated it with a hybrid ceramic wax (Meguires).)

There are lots of good pH Balanced soaps on the market but I strongly recommend the Foam Cannon + the 2-Bucket methods.
Best of luck!

OP
OP
bleedgreen4133
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
I ended up going with MTM pf22.2 foam cannon and optimum car wash. Thank you for the informative feedback.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Foam cannon with Maguire's giant jug o' carwash from Costco.

Rinse with the pressure washer, foam it with the cannon, wash with a mitt and two bucket method. Foam again, pressure wash to rinse. Second foaming seems to help with any streaks that may have dried during the hand wash.

Follow up with a few sprays on each panel of Maguire's Hybrid Ceramic Wax. Pressure wash to rinse again.

I haven't been drying the truck as it sits outside anyway and it would take several towels. I'm tempted to try blasting it with my leaf blower to try and keep the drying residue to a minimum.

RamblinMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I haven't been drying the truck as it sits outside anyway and it would take several towels. I'm tempted to try blasting it with my leaf blower to try and keep the drying residue to a minimum.
Leaf blowers work great for drying. I use a battery powered Dewalt leaf blower and can get the majority of the water off my truck rather quickly. You still have to use a few towels but the leaf blower makes drying much easier.

Sponsored

oddlou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Star White Platinum 4x4 Powerboost
First, when you read this, know that I have zero affiliation with Chemical Guys, lol. I just use their stuff because I've always heard good things, the price is right, and they're California based, so I like that I'm supporting a local business. Plus, now that I use their products, I know they work well.

Like with everything else with this truck, I spent too much time researching and landed on this foam cannon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CE78VO8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Everything I've read and seen points to these cheap cannons working just as well as the way pricier versions. I also bought the smaller orifice recommended online, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F81LHP8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share, but I haven't actually changed it out yet and got plenty of foam from the stock foam cannon and this watermelon foam wash from Chemical Guys: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HMPR1M?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

My truck is ppf wrapped and, like Lippy's, ceramic coated, so most contaminants come off pretty easily and there's very little agitation actually needed, especially after the foam sits for a few minutes. Still, I use the two bucket method with separate mitts for the wheels/tires and the rest of the truck.

So, pressure wash rinse, foam cannon, wash wheels, then wash the rest of the truck from the top down. Then rinse and dry with microfiber towels. I like the Chemical Guys towels for the first drying pass: https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...ds=chemical+guys+towels&qid=1618278339&sr=8-6, then I use the Costco microfiber towels to finish. I've read that a blower is great for drying, but haven't tried that....yet. ?

As for the inside, I also had that treated with a ceramic coating, so not much sticks, but I just give a quick vacuum, then use the Chemical Guys interior cleaner that I got when I saw it on sale a while back: https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
I just spray it on a microfiber cloth and give the whole interior a quick wipe down.

OP
OP
bleedgreen4133
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Leaf blowers work great for drying. I use a battery powered Dewalt leaf blower and can get the majority of the water off my truck rather quickly. You still have to use a few towels but the leaf blower makes drying much easier.
I almost forgot about that. Time to head to Home Depot. Thanks for the reminder.

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Can someone tell me what is The 2 Bucket Method? This is a new term for me. Thanks!

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
@RamblinMan,

‘Love the idea of the leaf blower. I have that DeWalt 60v blower but haven’t tried to dry a vehicle.

One other really good idea is to use a very thirsty Towel. The Rag Company makes one called ‘The Gauntlet’. It’s really fast. This weekend I dried an entire Explorer with just 1 towel - never even ringing it out. Zero water marks left.

I know it’s just a dumb towel but it’s unbelievable what a great (and fast) job it does. Endorsed by Pan the Organizer

Ford F-150 What do you use to wash your truck at home? 1618340121968
Sponsored