Sponsored

Switch to 2022?

bcd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
I put in my order for my truck back in December, and it keeps getting pushed back (first it was early Feb, then late Feb, then early April, then late April, now mid May) just like a lot of others. What are the thoughts on switching to a 2022 build instead? For me the truck is just a nice to have purchase, and I don't necessarily need it right now. I am just not thrilled about getting my truck towards the end of the build year, but I may be overthinking it. I'm also tired of getting disappointed every time the date is pushed back. Thoughts?
Sponsored

macsinbragg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 f 150
I put in my order for my truck back in December, and it keeps getting pushed back (first it was early Feb, then late Feb, then early April, then late April, now mid May) just like a lot of others. What are the thoughts on switching to a 2022 build instead? For me the truck is just a nice to have purchase, and I don't necessarily need it right now. I am just not thrilled about getting my truck towards the end of the build year, but I may be overthinking it. I'm also tired of getting disappointed every time the date is pushed back. Thoughts?
What do we think the changes for the 2022 might be?

invalizo

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Charger Rt// 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Heavy equipment
What do we think the changes for the 2022 might be?
when do the 2022s start production? Even if there’s no changes it may be worth waiting if it’s super close

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I personally prefer the end of a build year as my unscientific gut feel says they should have all the kinks worked out and the workers are familiar with everything.

Sponsored

invalizo

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Charger Rt// 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Heavy equipment
I personally prefer the end of a build year as my unscientific gut feel says they should have all the kinks worked out and the workers are familiar with everything.
thats a good way to look at it. I was thinking they work out the kinks for the 2022. Do they actually fix stuff mid year production?

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I just got my VIN today. Don't know when it was actually generated. Tentative build date according to my dealer is May 1. Pretty sure it will get pushed back a few times before actually getting built. By the way order date was 11/4. Strongly considered asking it to be pushed to 2022 Model Year but since my VIN is already created I guess I'll just let it ride. Other than maybe a preference of not getting a build near end of MY it's not really going to matter much because I suspect the only differences in MYs will maybe be some option pkg changes & maybe an exterior color(s) change. Not to forget the overall price will increase.

Also I am paying cash this time but I remember the few times I have leased I was always told that the earlier you lease in the MY the better the residual value will be which typically makes your monthly lease payment lower.

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
Judging from my own experience, its when everything seems desperate that you finally catch a break and the tide turns. Hang in there. Like someone else mentioned, by the time yours gets built, they'll have squished a few more bugs. Ordering a 22, in my opinion, will take just as long, if not longer.

Itsjustmd

First Name
Jayce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
thats a good way to look at it. I was thinking they work out the kinks for the 2022. Do they actually fix stuff mid year production?
Most manufacturers do. If there's an issue, it costs less to fix it at the factory so that going forward it doesn't become a warranty issue.

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I’ve had cars where what part I got was dependent on build date so it seems to happen. I was mainly thinking of the workers being having had time to figure everything out and practice a few thousand times.

But the 2022 isn’t likely to be all that different so it probably doesn’t matter.

OP
OP

bcd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord
Not that I plan on selling the truck any time soon, but I would imagine the truck is depreciating before I even get it so my overall value feels like it is lower by not getting the truck until the end of the model year. I honestly think the 2022s will be virtually identical, so just by having it be a 2022 vs a 2021 it will automatically have more value. Again, I may be over thinking it, but I appreciate all the insight.

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I am in a similar situation- but also- does anyone anticipate the rebates/incentives to be radically different on a 2022 XLT early build vs a end of MY build on a 2021... *in these times*? (where inventory isn't high needing to be cleared from lots etc)

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I am trading my existing truck in, so the dealer wants it asap, before I put many more miles on it, and I want a truck with more power and mileage asap, so I am not even considering a 2022. My build date is the week of May 24, so at best I will get my truck in late June, which is long enough to wait. With the chip shortage, it will be fall or later to get a 2022.

Last edited:

Itsjustmd

First Name
Jayce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I am in a similar situation- but also- does anyone anticipate the rebates/incentives to be radically different on a 2022 XLT early build vs a end of MY build on a 2021... *in these times*? (where inventory isn't high needing to be cleared from lots etc)
I would bet they'll be better. Because if they're no different, people will just buy the 2022 instead. They don't want 21s sitting on lots. Now if there are none left at that time that's a different story. My local Ford Dealer always has the new F150s on the lot. You just might not find one with all of the options you want.
Sponsored