5th-wheel hitch fitment compatibility with 2021 F150 Powerboost

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
Thank you! That would be very helpful indeed. I believe the underbody changes in 2021 F150 have required some adjustments from all the manufacturers.
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I've been in the RV/ truck business over 40 years. Even "small" fifth wheels on a half ton pickup make no sense. The hitch weight is much greater than a travel trailer and then you add in a heavy hitch that takes up almost all of you bed cargo space. The height makes them harder to pull in the wind and much less stable. They require taller storage awnings. There is no stability advantage over a travel trailer equipped with the proper weight distribution hitch.
But hey, in the end, it's your $$$$.
I won't sell a fifth wheel to be towed by a half ton pickup.....period.
I've been around too long. Just sayin'.
I’ve been reading thru this only because the previous owner of my shortbed ext cab Chev had it fitted with a gooseneck ball.
My little so called 1/2 ton is a very stout truck and it was used to tote hay trailers, stock trailers, and implement trailers.

I don’t want to get into “it’s okay vs bad idea” about it, but I do have a question.
I have not ever towed gooseneck or 5th wheel, but I do understand there will be different characteristics as opposed to conventional towing.
I’m wondering if maneuvering the bed pivoted trucks is easier?
If it is easier to jockey about in tight spaces, that would explain the desire to have the pivot in the bed.
I would also be inclined to think that moving the trailer weight to over the axle would also be a plus as opposed to having the weight hanging off the bumper and lightening up the the steering end.

I seldom drag anything around anymore, but I really don’t see a downside to to dragging a bed pivoted trailer with a 1/2 ton if it is equipped to do so.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do not have any personal experience. In fact, Norris is the first, though very experienced, voice I have heard cautioning about F150 and (small trailer) fifth wheel towing. We are buying an Escape trailer and I have got feedback from the owners. They all say that the towing characteristics of the (small 21’) fifth wheel are much better than those with a pull behind. Obviously, some may struggle to keep within the payload (as the tongue and hitch weights are higher) but as long as you have that covered, it does seem to tow better. The reasons you have outlined are mentioned.

That said, Norris has a lot of experience as well. So, that’s something to be considered.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I have never towed a 5er but those that have done both absolutely swear that the 5er is easier to maneuver, steer, and the weight distribution is already done for you. Plus your total length is far less, for an equivalent length trailer.

Disadvantage is that 20% tongue weight vs 10-13% of a conventional TT, which makes using a 1/2 ton hard unless trailer is small or ultra-lite.

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
I’ve been reading thru this only because the previous owner of my shortbed ext cab Chev had it fitted with a gooseneck ball.
My little so called 1/2 ton is a very stout truck and it was used to tote hay trailers, stock trailers, and implement trailers.

I don’t want to get into “it’s okay vs bad idea” about it, but I do have a question.
I have not ever towed gooseneck or 5th wheel, but I do understand there will be different characteristics as opposed to conventional towing.
If it is easier to jockey about in tight spaces, that would explain the desire to have the pivot in the bed.
I would also be inclined to think that moving the trailer weight to over the axle would also be a plus as opposed to having the weight hanging off the bumper and lightening up the the steering end.

I seldom drag anything around anymore, but I really don’t see a downside to to dragging a bed pivoted trailer with a 1/2 ton if it is equipped to do so.
Bryan,
Fifth wheel and gooseneck trailers are fine if they are "fitted" to the tow vehicle. Where most get into trouble is they are told by the trailer salesperson that their tow vehicle can handle a fifth wheel that has a dry weight of say 9000lbs, which translates to a gross weight of approximately 12500lbs. There is not a 1/2 tone truck built that can handle that weight because with a 12500 gross the tongue weight will be around 3000lbs. In the case of fifth wheel trailers, the big concern is tongue weight(overloading the truck). Then you factor in the extra height of a fifth wheel travel trailer and you get into even more trouble with stability.
I've had a few customers through the years that "knew more than I did" and tried it anyway....inevitably they took one trip and were ready to trade it in on a bumper pull travel trailer with the correct weight distribution hitch that fit their needs.
There are also many 3/4 ton owners that buy fifth wheels that are too large for their truck. I won't sell a 37' plus fifth wheel to a guy with a 3/4 ton as they just aren't stable enough with a single rear wheel truck because of the height and tongue weights on these trailers.
The ultra-lite fifth wheels (like our friend in the above post is considering) will be fine because the trailer he is looking at fits his truck in both gross weight and tongue weight. The only concern he might notice will be wind resistance and loss of use of the bed on his truck for cargo.
All of this stuff is common sense.....just don't let a salesperson talk you into more than you can safely tow.

Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
I do not have any personal experience. In fact, Norris is the first, though very experienced, voice I have heard cautioning about F150 and (small trailer) fifth wheel towing. We are buying an Escape trailer and I have got feedback from the owners. They all say that the towing characteristics of the (small 21’) fifth wheel are much better than those with a pull behind. Obviously, some may struggle to keep within the payload (as the tongue and hitch weights are higher) but as long as you have that covered, it does seem to tow better. The reasons you have outlined are mentioned.

That said, Norris has a lot of experience as well. So, that’s something to be considered.
My parts manager spoke with B&W about fifth wheel hitch configuration for our 2021 F150s this morning. He thinks the hitches and rails that fit the 2020 and down may fit the 2021s, but couldn't confirm this....especially in the case of the Powerboost.
He thinks it could be a month or two before they know.....so, the same thing you heard on the retail end.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Norris McCarty - I have an open ticket with B&W and am getting direct info.... What I heard was:

... I talked with my engineers on this and they are actively working on hitch fitment for both the gooseneck application and the industry standard rails that you are looking for. I was given an ETA of end of March for this.

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Yes, a gooseneck/5th wheel has a much easier time making tight turns. Making a 90-degree or smaller turn into a small barn aisle is tough with a conventional trailer, but easy with a gooseneck.

A gooseneck can also make a 180-degree turn on a small road when a bumper-pull simply wouldn't manage it. That's saved us a couple of times when trying to find a remote trail to a barn and taking a wrong turn. A bumper-pull would have had to back up all the way down the road until you reach a wide spot to turn around.

sumosumo

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
It looks like Reese may have a rail system that works for the 2021 - PB and all models except Raptor.
Ford F-150 5th-wheel hitch fitment compatibility with 2021 F150 Powerboost E88F0375-546A-41E7-9F27-CFE90583B3E5
Ford F-150 5th-wheel hitch fitment compatibility with 2021 F150 Powerboost C02CB7C9-A7F5-45AD-A315-14AD40C59615

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks a lot! Do you have an idea what difference between the two is?

Sponsored

sumosumo

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Thanks a lot! Do you have an idea what difference between the two is?
. i'm not positive, but I think the main difference is in the grade of the hardware. The cheaper one is grade 5 and the more expensive one is grade 8. I was skeptical about whether this would work for my 2021, since it's the same kit that works for prior model year F150's. However, after watching some installation videos from etrailer and taking a good look at my truck frame, I'm pretty confident they will work.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do let me know if you succeed with it. My truck is still 5 weeks away at a minimum. So, I will be trying to get it done 6-9 weeks out from now. My first choice would be B&W - as they have been very responsive to me and I know that they are making modifications to the parts make this work. My understanding is that their parts will be available by the end of March. So I plan to take stock of where things are in early April at the earliest.

2014fx4

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 f150 fx4, 2020 hyundai palisade
Wondering if anyone has confirmed that the above reese brackets and rails do fit? I compared the frame to my dads 2018 and they seem quite similar. The biggest difference is the drivers side shock mount. Also the factory holes in the frames are in different spots making it seem like you would have to drill holes in your frame for the above brackets to work. Thanks.

Raicilla

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat SCREW AMB 157" PowerBoost 7.2kW
Ha! "End of Month!" but... Which month?
Ford F-150 5th-wheel hitch fitment compatibility with 2021 F150 Powerboost iler-hitch-for-88-98-chevy-gmc-long-bed-trucks-

Seriously, 'had a brief on-line chat with B&W:
They said indeed the engineering and fitment is done (by the end of March, as previously reported), but production and documentation (those cool pdf-instructions) won't likely be ready for shipping until the "End of April."

AND, their 2021 unit will fit the Hybrid, too!

...just sayin'
Sponsored