Pro Power on HEV Battery Only

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Is there a way to use the Pro Power system with a minimal draw and guarantee that the ICE will not start?

I have a Hail Protector with an AC adapter. It pulls a minuscule amount of current, and the HEV battery would likely be able to run it for days on end. But I would NOT want the ICE to engage ever with the cover on the truck!

Is this even possible?
Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
What is a hail protector?

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
That is pretty cool. I would think if you were at home it would be easier to just run an extension chord to a wall plug in your garage, assuming it has both a 12v and 110v power adapter. Away from home just plug it into the 12v or the propower 110v and don't worry about the ICE cycling if it has to? Are you worried about the exhaust pipe being hot enough to melt the cover? Maybe Bob's chopped off tail pipe is the easy answer to that problem? What is the main concern about not wanting the ICE to cycle on when you are using the cover? I assume you do not leave it on all day, but rather watch the weather when there is a hail risk and go out and put the cover on just before things are supposed to make it over your area?

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Those things aren't even that expensive. I'd like this sort of protective bubble for parking lot idiots too, I just cannot convince my wife to park way out in the outskirts of a lot and walk a little further to avoid door dings.

Sponsored

dantheman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT powerboost
Interesting idea. There isn't a way to prevent it currently. I think there are a few things they could do to mature the pro-power solution.

OP
OP
don.mullins

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is pretty cool. I would think if you were at home it would be easier to just run an extension chord to a wall plug in your garage, assuming it has both a 12v and 110v power adapter. Away from home just plug it into the 12v or the propower 110v and don't worry about the ICE cycling if it has to? Are you worried about the exhaust pipe being hot enough to melt the cover? Maybe Bob's chopped off tail pipe is the easy answer to that problem? What is the main concern about not wanting the ICE to cycle on when you are using the cover? I assume you do not leave it on all day, but rather watch the weather when there is a hail risk and go out and put the cover on just before things are supposed to make it over your area?
Yes, it comes with a AA battery pack, 12VDC adapter & 120VAC adapter. It pulls such a low current that it could run for like a couple of hours on the AA battery pack.

My concern is around exhaust heat and general engine bay air flow - this would cover the front radiator grill, as well as top and side venting. I know it would be idling, but I don’t want to do something stupid...

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
We haven’t gotten any hail to my knowledge in Rockwall, but then again I just got home from work. That protector is seriously cool. Hope the rest of your property is fine. Looked small enough to not be too bad, but I’m glad you could protect your shiny new aluminum truck, because that might have been big enough to dent it.

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
How fast can you get the protector up and running? I was a click away from buying one (live in DFW, hail all the time), but read several reviews that it takes way too long to set up and is a pain to store.

Sponsored

OP
OP
don.mullins

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How fast can you get the protector up and running? I was a click away from buying one (live in DFW, hail all the time), but read several reviews that it takes way too long to set up and is a pain to store.
I am in DFW area as well.

It’s pretty quick. I haven’t really timed it, but I easily get in on and inflated in < 20 minutes at a casual pace.

I think in a pinch I could have it on it on in 1-2 minutes. It takes about 10 minutes to inflate.

kman67

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150?
Has anyone figured out how to do this yet? I go tent camping but have an ARB fridge and it would be nice to plug into the bed and use the HEV battery over night. When trying to power the bed outlets, the truck said the engine had to be running to be in generator mode. I was able to put the fridge in the back seat and use the 12v outlet, but it shut off overnight, maybe because the truck's battery went below a certain voltage? The HEV battery is 1.5kW, which is the same as a GoalZero Yeti 1500X, which costs $2000, right?
Sponsored