First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
Would be nice if they cared about customer satisfaction/feedback buuuut...

Considering Ford is first and foremost a business, you can bet that they have not seen a significant monetary loss on dealing with these broken bolt warranty repairs. They just sell so many damn new trucks that is hardly affects their bottom line. That is the one and only reason why they have been publicly silent about a real solution. Money is the only thing that matters here. They don't care if people complain as long as they're ordering the 2023 model just as happily as before. I hate it.

/rant also
Ford would care if more dissatisfied owners dumped their Ford for a GM or Ram. If I have too many issues with a truck, I'll switch manufacturers. I'm NOT brand loyal at all.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
But Ford gets new dissatisfied Ram and Chevy owners too.

So I don't think it's working.
At least not the last 40 something years.
All 3 have loyal customers, happy customers, and dissatisfied customers.
Kinda like AT&T/Verizon

Dfc41889

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Sierra AT4 HD (Trade) - 22 F150 Plat (Ordered)
Occupation
Senior Financial Manager - CPA
its all the max tow axles from what ive seen- they went back to a 1939 design "3/4 f;loat" axle, but splined it rather than taper fitted, the splines walking in its thou or two clearance, bolt gets stressed and breaks...mostly PB reports, but some 5.0 too...I think...or msaybe its all just a fine design and odd coincidence. ...
look at a hub nut/cotterpin on any even tiny FWD car holding the hub on, then look at these max tow axles little bolt...glaring difference?
5.0 here just broke this week. Max tow Platty. Drove to PA from Georgia (700 miles) for vacation. Noticed a banging sound coming from rear wheel at slow speed. Finally annoyed me enough a day later to take the hub off. Was due for tire rotation so would have found it later this week regardless.
Ford F-150 F150 Powerboost Axle bolt sheared off 70682700073__ABC058DF-E5BD-4403-8192-26723EDC9461

bowling

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
5.0 here just broke this week. Max tow Platty. Drove to PA from Georgia (700 miles) for vacation. Noticed a banging sound coming from rear wheel at slow speed. Finally annoyed me enough a day later to take the hub off. Was due for tire rotation so would have found it later this week regardless.
70682700073__ABC058DF-E5BD-4403-8192-26723EDC9461.jpeg
DFC, what’s your truck’s build date?

Dfc41889

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DFC, what’s your truck’s build date?
Custom order 11/2021 build 3/2022 delivery 4/5/2022

currently sitting at just shy of 20k miles

Sponsored

bowling

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Custom order 11/2021 build 3/2022 delivery 4/5/2022

currently sitting at just shy of 20k miles
yours is a little newer than mine. I'm fixing to get the repair done for the second time. I'm starting to hear the same "ting" noise when starting from a dead stop and one of the two bolts has rotated about 15º from when it was installed about 5,000 miles ago. It would be nice to read a full write-up from Ford that details the real long-term fix and not just warranty repairs until the fleet ages out and it becomes our problem and not theirs. :(

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
This in and of itself is worthy of a ext warranty. Can you imagine a full rearend replacement 100 miles after drivetrain expires?

Dfc41889

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
yours is a little newer than mine. I'm fixing to get the repair done for the second time. I'm starting to hear the same "ting" noise when starting from a dead stop and one of the two bolts has rotated about 15º from when it was installed about 5,000 miles ago. It would be nice to read a full write-up from Ford that details the real long-term fix and not just warranty repairs until the fleet ages out and it becomes our problem and not theirs. :(
I’m fixing to cash out my equity. Had 3 GMC’s prior to this (my first Ford - which I love), but I will not keep this unless Ford extends the warranty. This happens less than two weeks after it was just at the shop for a bad window switch. Not to mention the 10 recalls of which I think 5 affected my truck. I’m still waiting for this mysterious wiper motor.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I’m fixing to cash out my equity. Had 3 GMC’s prior to this (my first Ford - which I love), but I will not keep this unless Ford extends the warranty. This happens less than two weeks after it was just at the shop for a bad window switch. Not to mention the 10 recalls of which I think 5 affected my truck. I’m still waiting for this mysterious wiper motor.
My max-tow didn't fail but with that possibility and the Powerboost drive motor issues I had. I dumped my F150 early this year. I might have considered a King Ranch 3.5l Ecoboost but Ford can't seem to build anything fully equipped (missing chips). I bought my first GMC and at this point I'd have a hard time going back to an F150. Now reading about some nutty parts elimination on the refresh, I think Ford execs have lost their mind.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I currently have the keys to a 2023 Chevy Suburban (provided by employer) for some extensive travel. It's pretty dolled up and seems to be a sweet ride, but I'm just getting to know it barely. I'll put a couple of thousand miles on it, but probably won't keep it long enough to invest the time necessary to dig into it much. At least not under the surface. If I purchased it though, like you have your truck, I think it's pretty clear that I'm someone who would be digging and participating on the forum(s) that are so helpful in doing so.

You've had yours a while now.
Since you are this forum's consistent gatekeeper to "welcome, come on over greener pastures" member, I'm just curious if the equivalent forum for GM has any unhappy truck owners? 😉

Or I guess a better question might be "what is GM's current axle bolt"?

Cuz they have them. And the line to get in the service department to get the warranty repair ain't shorter.

The dealership I've been doing business with for 25 years is Ford/Jeep/Ram/Chevrolet. And I ordered/purchased my current F150 from a friend that officially works and offices at the Chevrolet side. (He's got enough clout that they allow him cross pollinate at his will)

I enjoy your posts. You may not believe that. But sometimes it comes across a bit opportunistic when it follows a rant, if you know what I mean. 🤣🤣 Kinda like ambulance chasing?

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
The Suburban is a great package with the 6.2L L87 and 3.0 Diesel motors. The 5.3 just isn’t enough anymore, there is nothing inherently wrong with it, it’s just fallen too far behind. I drove a Sierra before I pulled the trigger on my F-150 and I just couldn’t spend $50+k on an engine that antiquated. I like that Ford let’s you pick any engine as a stand alone option that you want—that’s how it should be.

The 5.0 felt so much stronger everywhere, and to be honest the 5.0L is every bit of a match to my aunts 6.2L Denali Ultimate Yukon when we floored them next to each other. The 6.2 gets a little punch out of the hole then the 5.0 never lost another inch to the governor. My hood never fell behind her drivers side door handle and toward the end the 5.0 was actually inching forward on the 6.2!! The 5.0 can breathe and move so much air, it’s hard to match that with a push rod without mega displacement.

I will note I am sure the Yukon is a heavy truck. I believe GM still utilizes steel bodies.

Last edited:

Hog_Johnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That was really the point I was making. :)

I am admittedly a fan of Ford trucks. There's no way I could get away with denying that around here.
But I have plenty of posts ranting about what I personally believe are the shortcomings of the Blue Oval empire. I don't think I'm blue blind.

I have other brands of vehicles, as well. On 4-wheels I have Mazda and Porsche products.
On 2-wheels I have Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM

So not a brand zombie by any means.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I'm just curious if the equivalent forum for GM has any unhappy truck owners?
yes - I was one. I came from a 2019 Silverado that they couldn't fix a window leak after multiple attempts, TSBs, replacement, etc. And they still have that problem today.

This thread started in Nov of 2018, it is now 232 pages, and still going.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/216705-rear-window-leak/page/232/

Go to the main page and plenty of threads with issues too.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/forum/236-2019-2023-silverado-sierra/

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I have other brands of vehicles, as well. On 4-wheels I have Mazda and Porsche products.
On 2-wheels I have Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM

So not a brand zombie by any means.
Sounds like a healthy / enviable / fun mix of marques in your 'fleet' - kudos!

(and yep, I'm betting nice as each is there's not a perfect / flawless vehicle among 'em - they're all products of human (therefore imperfect) endeavors ;))
Sponsored