Rear axle bolt failure...AGAIN!!

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat FX4 2022 Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Retired FDNY
But wouldn't that mean it's NOT a batch issue and we should see equal percentage of bolt failures for every model year and build date?
That's what I would think. Seems like there aren't many reports if any of 23's failing. I'll just keep an ear out for bolt rattle. Easy enough to pop the center caps off.
Sponsored

Dfc41889

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Sierra AT4 HD (Trade) - 22 F150 Plat (Ordered)
Occupation
Senior Financial Manager - CPA
19k miles and 700 miles from home and I hear rattling…..and it’s Memorial Day Weekend!
Ford F-150 Rear axle bolt failure...AGAIN!! 70682700073__ABC058DF-E5BD-4403-8192-26723EDC9461

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
19k miles and 700 miles from home and I hear rattling…..and it’s Memorial Day Weekend!
70682700073__ABC058DF-E5BD-4403-8192-26723EDC9461.jpeg
I'm just putting myself in your shoes when I say this....

First, you can clearly see that shoulder that huge washer was seated on. So you can also tell with the naked eye IF it appears the axle has moved inboard or outboard since the bolt broke.

That's what I would monitor. But I would NOT let it influence my vacation unless I witness the splined shaft move considerably inboard/outboard.

Dfc41889

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Sierra AT4 HD (Trade) - 22 F150 Plat (Ordered)
Occupation
Senior Financial Manager - CPA
I'm just putting myself in your shoes when I say this....

First, you can clearly see that shoulder that huge washer was seated on. So you can also tell with the naked eye IF it appears the axle has moved inboard or outboard since the bolt broke.

That's what I would monitor. But I would NOT let it influence my vacation unless I witness the splined shaft move considerably inboard/outboard.
Appreciate that but my vacation is over. Was going to drive home tomorrow but will be stopping at local Ford garage and figuring out a new way home. Ford already offered to ship the truck home after the fix and reimburse a rental car, so it will work out. Very frustrating though.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's my point though. I'm no expert, but my understanding is that there's little chance of the truck being un-drivable. Certainly the wheels won't come off.

The only thing I can envision is the axle moving inboard enough to throw gear alignment off, but I thought there was a lock ring on that end prevent that.
Moving outboard would be wild to see in your rear view mirror? The splines sticking out of the wheel?

I'm just suggesting that you could avoid the shipping the truck fiasco.
But I totally respect anyone's decision not to.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I'd only expect axle movement to be likely when it's completely unloaded and in a turn. Given that a lot of folks didn't know about the issue at all and basically tumbled the bolt into a different shape entirely means it'd gone over 1k miles of short range driving. There's only been one instance I saw where the axle slid in too much to the point of no longer engaging the wheel hub splines. Something is keeping it in else there'd be nothing to actually put load on the bolt itself. When the bolt was screwed in it'd still be able to be pulled out. Personally I'd drive it home and just not take wild left turns (if it's the driver side), vice versa if passenger.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Haven't we seen at least one or two 2023s pop up? Im sticking to thinking this is a consistent design issue.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's literally 100's of thousands of them. If it was a design failure, therefore all trucks are equally vulnerable, the numbers would be substantially different, don't you think?

I mean you could be right, but statistically there are legitimate bookends to the build dates for the vast majority of those documented.

And if it is equally likely for all trucks with the floating axle, then statistically it's an even smaller likelihood for any single truck to be affected.

It seems very similar to the leaking exhaust heat exchanger on the Powerboost.

Popped up out of nowhere. Got a ton of press as the rash of leaks got reported. Then it slowed down considerably. Matching up with the classic batch scenario.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
You could always take your truck to Wendle Ford in Spokane...
Being the proactive guy I am, I bought brand new bolts (Ford OEM unopened) and took them into Ford and asked them to replace the bolts...
They lost the bolts, couldn't find them anywhere.
(In my best Ron White voice), "They... Lost... The... F*****in... Bolts..."
Two months later, still waiting on replacements or them to cut me a check.
Wendle Ford, Spokane, WA

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
I can't get anyone at the dealer to tell me what the problem fix is. When the bolt fails then they replace the axle and the bolt but I don't know if the fix is to replace the bolt with a higher strength fastener or due to material capability they have to replace the axle as well when using a different fastener. The design team, materials group or the analysts should have caught this!!!
I’m guessing the engineering team DID know and spec’d the correct type of bolt.

then the value engineering team came over top and said to use a cheaper bolt.

Sponsored

JacobH

First Name
Jacob Herrmann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Project Engineer
I’m wondering if my leaking rear passenger axle is part of this problem. I seem to have an oil type substance leaking from my wheel and covering both it and my tire and my wheel well. It’s not like a massive amount but it does seem like a good bit 😬. I’m going to pop the cover off on my lunch break and see if the bolt is fine and see if that’s where the leak is but I have it set up to go in on the 21st as I had to schedule out a little ways to get hail damage repaired. Last year in October I had both my rear axle shafts replaced due to BOTH bolts being broken 8+ hours from home. Tbh I drove all the way home and even continued to drive for a week or more before I got it into the dealer and it drove fine. At the time I was talking on another thread about it and a bunch of people told me they were still driving on a broken bolt lmao. I haven’t heard the rattling since so hopefully I’m still good🤞.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Go look at the bolt spec. This is sounding like a brittle failure. It could be that Ford specified a bolt hardness higher than really needed. (Note: as hardness increases brittleness increases & ductility decreases) Similarly Ford might have received a batch of bolts that are harder/brittler (eg less ductile) than needed or spec'ed. Once that batch exhausts and bolts with a less brittle nature populate their shelvs it'll go away. For your way forward, see if you can get the bolt spec and go buy one meeting that spec independently and have it installed. (Note: so long as it meets the Ford spec the warranty will not be violated.)

JacobH

First Name
Jacob Herrmann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Project Engineer
I just popped the cap on my leaking rear axle to see mine is infact broken again. Second time, I had both sides replaced in October so hopefully it will still be covered under warranty.

Ford F-150 Rear axle bolt failure...AGAIN!! IMG_5247

Ford F-150 Rear axle bolt failure...AGAIN!! IMG_5248

Ford F-150 Rear axle bolt failure...AGAIN!! IMG_5250

Ford F-150 Rear axle bolt failure...AGAIN!! IMG_5251

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I just popped the cap on my leaking rear axle to see mine is infact broken again. Second time, I had both sides replaced in October so hopefully it will still be covered under warranty.

IMG_5247.png

IMG_5248.png

IMG_5250.png

IMG_5251.png
That's a 10.9 bolt. That's pretty hard. Check that that's what Ford specified first. Then see if you can get one independently from Ford and have it installed (this to sidestep the "bad batch" syndrome). Most NAPA stores carry such bolts. You may find that Ford specified something like a 10.8 bolt which would have a bit more ductility (less likely to crack).

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The fact it's leaking in ~8 months means those ass hats either damaged or didn't replace seals. I hate dealers. You should have a 12 month warranty on any work and parts.
Sponsored