Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Its been about 5 days.... ?
No big I guess,just fire it up and let er run a bit....
Fire it up and run it in generator mode. Charges the 12V batteries pretty well.
Sponsored

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
Have not driven my '22 for a few days and got this notice while sleeping last night.
Is this okay?
Do I 'have' to drive it daily? Been driving my '15 lately.

Screenshot_20230515_070241_FordPass.jpg
Mine is doing this now after about 15 hours of driving it. This has gotten worse each week, so I dropped it off to the dealer today and left with a loaner. I will keep you guys posted as to what they found out.

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
I've been driving my truck regularly for the past week. Drove it 8 hours straight to Ohio last Wednesday, multiple trips every day (some long some short but most over 20 min), then 8+ hours home yesterday and got in about 7:30 PM.

FordPass gave me a "deep sleep" message at 8:29 AM this morning. I call BS. No messages the entire week otherwise.

Ranger621

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
I drive my 2022 Lariat every day, and I still get this message every so often. I had read another post that stood the battery was bad. Dealer was replacing them. Can't confirm this though, just what I read.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Just one old man's opinion, who has monitored his 12V battery SOC meticulously for many many days.....

An otherwise healthy battery, whether oem or aftermarket, is not treated to an abundance of charging voltage regardless of how much you drive. (Although driving does help)

The charging strategy is hellbent on dragging the battery down to the 80-85% SOC. At some point, the lack of headroom left in the battery isn't enough to STAY above the deep sleep threshold.

I can't do much about the factory charging strategy, but I can supplement it with either a trickle charger for long periods between driving, or an occasional overnight full charge.

I'm currently at day 401 on the oem battery. I seriously do not believe without my diligence it would still be healthy enough to avoid deep sleeping on me.

Sponsored

stlgrym3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB Lariat
so if we randomly receive this message when driving the vehicle on the daily basis is a sign of battery going bad? can anyone confirm this? so far i've seen it twice (all happened last week) since we took delivery of the truck a month ago, and we have 1300 miles on the odometer as of today

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I’ve had mine on a trickle charger for over a week at a time and if I took it out for a short trip or two and left it unplugged, I would get the deep sleep message. That’s why I think something is up with the battery or maybe a parasitic drain. I wouldn’t be that upset about it but not having the approach lights is a big feature for me and not having it kind of stinks. Something about walking up to your new truck in a dark parking lot and seeing those DRLs light up. 😍

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
I’ve had mine on a trickle charger for over a week at a time and if I took it out for a short trip or two and left it unplugged, I would get the deep sleep message. That’s why I think something is up with the battery or maybe a parasitic drain. I wouldn’t be that upset about it but not having the approach lights is a big feature for me and not having it kind of stinks. Something about walking up to your new truck in a dark parking lot and seeing those DRLs light up. 😍
So I accidentally got the 4.2.4 update last week. Not sure if that is part of the equation or not.
I am going to drive the '22 today and see ifit resolved. But I should be able to leave a truck alone for a week or so, (vacations, drive 2nd car, etc) without having the thing have a dead battery.

For what its worth (I know its not a trickler) but these things are lifesavers, jet skis, boat, each family member, etc all has one.

Ford F-150 "Deep Sleep" 2023-05-16 11_01_26-Window

Last edited:

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Maybe try BMS reset. See if it fixes.

marekjk

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23’ F150 Powerboost Lariat
I have this issue every couple of weeks even though I drive about 1 - 1.5 hours per day at least 5 days per week. I’ve installed a Bluetooth battery monitor that Mr Snakebitten recommended and it seems the battery just gradually runs down over two weeks.

I thought that the battery may be bad. I’ve topped it off twice and load tested it right after…. It passed just fine. Then I sat there monitoring the voltage after a load test…. Looks like the batter is fine as far as testing is concerned.

I have seen folks talking about Fords BMS algorithm not being aggressive enough in terms of charging the 12v battery. I must agree. I feel like when I get going every morning the truck will pump ~14.5v to the battery for just a few minutes and then just drop down to ~13v. I know you can alter the SOC goal via FORSCAN from Fords default of 80%? To 90%, but I am afraid of doing it.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've posted it on a few threads, but for $20 you can know beyond a doubt what is going on with your battery.

24/7/365 logging and you don't even have to wake the truck up to see what's going on. You can view what happened last night while you were asleep. :)

Ford F-150 "Deep Sleep" Screenshot_20230419_105615_Amazon Shoppin

Battery Monitor BM2 BM3 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Battery Tester 12V Automotive Battery Load Tester,Automotive Charging and Cranking System Monitor Digital Battery Analyzer for Android & iOS https://a.co/d/aPktN4X

The smartphone app connects to it and as mentioned previously, it doesn't wake the truck. And then the app downloads the log so you can view up to 7 days of battery SOC

This is right this moment, with me sitting in my Lazyboy in the RV. Truck parked outside.

Ford F-150 "Deep Sleep" Screenshot_20230516_134211_Battery Monitor

Log file for today.
(I ran a couple of errands a few minutes ago)
Note that orange vertical bar stating timestamp and voltage at the time. Anywhere you put your finger on the screen shows you that moment

Ford F-150 "Deep Sleep" Screenshot_20230516_134229_Battery Monitor

Yesterday. My commute to from the office

Ford F-150 "Deep Sleep" Screenshot_20230516_134247_Battery Monitor

We live in remarkable times.
I love the information age in this kind of respect.

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maybe try BMS reset. See if it fixes.
Had to Google both "BMS" and how to reset it...

:)

Ford F-150 "Deep Sleep" 2023-05-16 11_53_05-Window

Anyone else dumb like me, "Battery Monitoring (system?)"

Reset Steps:
Key\Push button on.
High beam flash 5x.
Press brake 3x.
Turn off Key\push button.
Turn key\push button back on again....

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have seen folks talking about Fords BMS algorithm not being aggressive enough in terms of charging the 12v battery. I must agree. I feel like when I get going every morning the truck will pump ~14.5v to the battery for just a few minutes and then just drop down to ~13v. I know you can alter the SOC goal via FORSCAN from Fords default of 80%? To 90%, but I am afraid of doing it.
That voltage of 14.5 or 13 when you are driving, isn't the problem.
It's the amount of charging current (amps) that Ford is supplying the battery with. They are incredibly stingy once the 12V battery reaches about 80% SOC. And I do have the Forscan edit set to 95%. So that's not as cut & dry as we might think. (aggravating, because it would be awesome if that setting actually increased the charging current to the degree we would expect)

Below is a snapshot of the 12V battery SOC at 90% (required an external charge a couple of days previous)

Notice that although the alternator (DC/DC converter) was supplying 14.4V, but ZERO charging current! The battery management system sees that SOC and decides that AGM isn't hungry enough to feed it. Lol

Ford F-150 "Deep Sleep" 20230516_135455

Here it is a couple of weeks previously, and with the battery at 75% SOC, it's providing ~6 amps of charging current to the AGM

Ford F-150 "Deep Sleep" 20230516_135915

I would love to hear the explanation, but Ford intentionally keeps the AGM in the ~12.3-12.4V range if you do nothing to intervene.

OP
OP

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have this issue every couple of weeks even though I drive about 1 - 1.5 hours per day at least 5 days per week. I’ve installed a Bluetooth battery monitor that Mr Snakebitten recommended and it seems the battery just gradually runs down over two weeks.

I thought that the battery may be bad. I’ve topped it off twice and load tested it right after…. It passed just fine. Then I sat there monitoring the voltage after a load test…. Looks like the batter is fine as far as testing is concerned.

Ok... again feel dumb... is this the underhood cranking batt, or the under the seat makes magical things happen, batt? My warning doesnt really tell me, 'what went to sleep'.
I guess Ill find out when I start herup in about 15mins.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok... again feel dumb... is this the underhood cranking batt, or the under the seat makes magical things happen, batt? My warning doesnt really tell me, 'what went to sleep'.
I guess Ill find out when I start herup in about 15mins.
Both batteries are connected EXCEPT during a high current cranking event.

Ford's way of saying that the voltage you read on the 12V system is both batteries combined. But when the pcm commands the high amperage ICE starter event, it also opens the battery isolator for the vehicle and protects the electronics of the truck by isolating them to the small battery under the seat.
Sponsored