Sponsored

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
Comparing trip pulling 7000 lb trailer (6200lbs unload) this year with new 2022 max tow 3.5 EB vs last year with my 2010 F150 5.4L. Both with 3.55 gear ratio.

Conclusion
No comparison. While I loved the 5.4l for most things I hated towing with it. It was a real screamer - high rpm to get the torque required. The 3.5 EB was a real pleasure particularly in the PA "mountains". The torque vs rpm curve vs 5.4l (or the 5.0l coyote) is amazing - big fan of the turbos No issue in speeding up to pass even on the hills.

Details

Setup (Picture below)
- 27ft Jayco - 30ft overall length
- setup truck per WDH instructions (same WDH on both trips)
- trailer I-beam had 1/2" tilt forward and truck was completely flat
- increased pressure of truck tires by 10psi (5 psi below max rating)

Speed
- 100-105 k/hr (~65 mph)
- locked out 9 and 10 gears
- used tow mode mostly

Payload - 1843 lbs
- spent a lot of time ensuring good payload as was constantly at or over on my old truck. Use information gained from this forum to estimate payload of build when ordering. Was within 7lbs of actual payload
- really wanted the 20" sport wheels and the extra items from max tow (insurance vs absolute need). Those cost ~ 80lbs but ok with that. Also being in Canada 4 wheel drive was a requirement
- biggest regret (really really regret) was not getting copilot assist. The add-ons for an XLT are crazy and big miss on my part. Know from this forum people have added it and man I would pay to have it done to my truck!

Sway
- no issues with either truck. Was a bit worried with the lighter wt 2022 (both were short box) but didn't seem an issue
- we were lucky though no real wind except in hills of PA which we handled fine

Gas Mileage ESTIMATE
Going - 26.0 l/100km or 9 mpg
Back - 22.7 l/100km or 10.3 mpg

This is from truck meter. As an engineer with OCD I am careful not starting things (slide rulers and spreadsheets) that will send me down the rabbit hole
- only 5k miles on truck so not fully conditioned yet - that might have helped a bit on way back
- wind and speed differences would easily be the key factors here. The 3.5l was such a joy that i likely ran a bit fast particularly on way down vs last year due to the joy of towing with the 3.5l

My general observations is that on the flat and cruising at 65mph with 10 and 9 locked out to minimize the turbos, the gas mileage was significantly better than the 5.4l but in the hills due to the capabilities of the 3.5l to maintain speed thru them, it really sucked the gas and likely much worse than the 5.4. Observation based only.

Oh and I used the trailer backup assist quite frequently. While I have backed this trailer up frequently on old truck I loved the assist. Man it made it really easy getting trailer into spaces and kept my wife and I out of arguments.

Ford F-150 Ontario to Mrytle beach 1500km (~900 miles) towing 7000lb trailer with 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost Max Tow PXL_20230415_154359504
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
Comparing trip pulling 7000 lb trailer (6200lbs unload) this year with new 2022 max tow 3.5 EB vs last year with my 2010 F150 5.4L. Both with 3.55 gear ratio.

Conclusion
No comparison. While I loved the 5.4l for most things I hated towing with it. It was a real screamer - high rpm to get the torque required. The 3.5 EB was a real pleasure particularly in the PA "mountains". The torque vs rpm curve vs 5.4l (or the 5.0l coyote) is amazing - big fan of the turbos No issue in speeding up to pass even on the hills.

Details

Setup (Picture below)

Speed
- 100-105 k/hr (~65 mph)
- used tow mode mostly

Payload - 1843 lbs
- spent a lot of time ensuring good payload as was constantly at or over on my old truck. Use information gained from this forum to estimate payload of build when ordering. Was within 7lbs of actual payload
- really wanted the 20" sport wheels and the extra items from max tow (insurance vs absolute need). Those cost ~ 80lbs but ok with that. Also being in Canada 4 wheel drive was a requirement
- biggest regret (really really regret) was not getting copilot assist. The add-ons for an XLT are crazy and big miss on my part. Know from this forum people have added it and man I would pay to have it done to my truck!

Sway
- no issues with either truck. Was a bit worried with the lighter wt 2022 (both were short box) but didn't seem an issue

Gas Mileage ESTIMATE

This is from truck meter. As an engineer with OCD I am careful not starting things (slide rulers and spreadsheets) that will send me down the rabbit hole
- only 5k miles on truck so not fully conditioned yet - that might have helped a bit on way back
- wind and speed differences would easily be the key factors here. The 3.5l was such a joy that i likely ran a bit fast particularly on way down vs last year due to the joy of towing with the 3.5l

My general observations is that on the flat and cruising at 65mph with 10 and 9 locked out to minimize the turbos, the gas mileage was significantly better than the 5.4l but in the hills due to the capabilities of the 3.5l to maintain speed thru them, it really sucked the gas and likely much worse than the 5.4. Observation based only.

Oh and I used the trailer backup assist quite frequently. While I have backed this trailer up frequently on old truck I loved the assist. Man it made it really easy getting trailer into spaces and kept my wife and I out of arguments.

PXL_20230415_154359504.jpg
Great information to know. I actually live 45 miles from Myrtlr Beach ..Nice setuop you have there!

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist

Conclusion

Details

Setup (Picture below)

Speed
- 100-105 k/hr (~65 mph)
- used tow mode mostly

Payload - 1843 lbs

Sway

Gas Mileage ESTIMATE

Thanks for the observations. I too came from a 5.4,2000 XLT 4x4 3.55 to 21 Powerboost, 3.73 4x4. I'm noticing pretty much exactly what you're saying, I just have to get used to seeing the boost gauge move on a normal toe with my 32 ft RV. I'm hoping these engines will be good longevity because you're correct, the towing is pretty nice and day and night difference.

OP
OP
Northguy

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the observations. I too came from a 5.4,2000 XLT 4x4 3.55 to 21 Powerboost, 3.73 4x4. I'm noticing pretty much exactly what you're saying, I just have to get used to seeing the boost gauge move on a normal toe with my 32 ft RV. I'm hoping these engines will be good longevity because you're correct, the towing is pretty nice and day and night difference.
Yeah is nice that we have an option to have boost gauge on the dash. I like watching that - locking out 9 and 10 ran the rpm slightly higher but reduced the boost.

I hear you on longevity. I am considering getting extended warranty due to that concern before my truck hits a year old. I have never bought extended warranty on anything before but given tech in this truck am considering it.

U must love the power boost for camping. We stayed at several harvest hosts on way back and having trailer power built into the truck would have been great. I was just worried about payload perhaps too much so as now realizing what I gave up not getting the PB.

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Yeah is nice that we have an option to have boost gauge on the dash. I like watching that - locking out 9 and 10 ran the rpm slightly higher but reduced the boost.

I hear you on longevity. I am considering getting extended warranty due to that concern before my truck hits a year old. I have never bought extended warranty on anything before but given tech in this truck am considering it.

U must love the power boost for camping. We stayed at several harvest hosts on way back and having trailer power built into the truck would have been great. I was just worried about payload perhaps too much so as now realizing what I gave up not getting the PB.
Well, like I told my son, there's no free lunch, I imagine the fuel savings in all of the extra features that I'm enjoying could bite me on the butt later as it needs repairs, but for now I'm going to live life and enjoy it. I figure if I live in fear of something breaking I'm always going to be worrying about something. I have only used the power to run my RV once, but it was a lifesaver, I plan on boondocking with it soon. Maybe you can get you one in a few years after they have got all the bugs out of the PB. Mine's been good, but there are a few with hiccups.

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
@Northguy Good to know. We're looking at going up from our current trailer to a 24'-26' bunkhouse with a slide. So weight / hitch weight is something I'm keeping my eye on and wondering how the truck will do with a longer / heavier trailer. Current trailer is only 23' hitch to bumper an about 5,500 lbs loaded & wet.

I too tried to spec for payload with some conveniences (6.5" bed, Max tow, tow mirrors, tailgate step, underseat storage +20's for looks... skipped moonroof, co-pilot assist & PowerBoost)But, I also regret not getting co-pilot assist now. Especially after driving my wife's Bronco Sport that has it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
As for longevity with the 3.5 Ecoboost....

I've been a long time member of a forum pretty much dedicated to the motor. And although like any forum, all the issues with the motor are historically documented over the last decade or more.
However, one of the interesting things about the 3.5 Ecoboost is that on occasion you will have a new member pop in and post about his high mileage Ecoboost that has been pretty much trouble free and not experienced any of the common issues with the motor. (example: phasers/timing chain)

When asked what has been the nature of the truck's use by the owner, it's amazing how often they describe the opposite of a babied life. Instead they are trucks that have been "worked", like farm towing or construction towing.

My point being is that although anecdotal, the 3.5 Ecoboost just might have a healthier longterm life if those waste gates get some use!

OP
OP
Northguy

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Northguy Good to know. We're looking at going up from our current trailer to a 24'-26' bunkhouse with a slide. So weight / hitch weight is something I'm keeping my eye on and wondering how the truck will do with a longer / heavier trailer. Current trailer is only 23' hitch to bumper an about 5,500 lbs loaded & wet.

I too tried to spec for payload with some conveniences (6.5" bed, Max tow, tow mirrors, tailgate step, underseat storage +20's for looks... skipped moonroof, co-pilot assist & PowerBoost)But, I also regret not getting co-pilot assist now. Especially after driving my wife's Bronco Sport that has it.
You won't have any issue towing the larger trailer with the EB. With 6.5ft box it will tow even better than mine. 6.5ft wouldn't fit into my garage.

Yeah it bugs me everyday that I didnt get the copilot assist. Really didn't realize what was in the full package. I saw the 8-10 lb payload hit and thought I didn't need it. Talk about over thinking stuff. Plus I have ended up loving the truck and I am someone that keeps vehicles a long time. Oh well.

OP
OP
Northguy

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As for longevity with the 3.5 Ecoboost....

I've been a long time member of a forum pretty much dedicated to the motor. And although like any forum, all the issues with the motor are historically documented over the last decade or more.
However, one of the interesting things about the 3.5 Ecoboost is that on occasion you will have a new member pop in and post about his high mileage Ecoboost that has been pretty much trouble free and not experienced any of the common issues with the motor. (example: phasers/timing chain)

When asked what has been the nature of the truck's use by the owner, it's amazing how often they describe the opposite of a babied life. Instead they are trucks that have been "worked", like farm towing or construction towing.

My point being is that although anecdotal, the 3.5 Ecoboost just might have a healthier longterm life if those waste gates get some use!
Thanks @Snakebitten. Your opinion carries a lot of weight with me. I have a friend with a gen 13eb that had to replace both turbos which was an expensive fix. Based on this forum really hoping the gen 14 (I know the engine upgrade was a bit before the gen14 model year) have improved the reliability of the turbos. But good thought about using the turbos - certainly in the hills of PA pulling 7000lbs they got a workout as evidenced by my gas bill. 😭

Last edited:

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Very close here. Currently have an 01 XLT 4x4 4.6L with 3.55 LS. Going to a 23 Lariat 4x4 PB. Within weeks I hope.

The 01 has towed my boat perfectly for the entirety. Same for utility loads. The heaviest I ever towed was ~4500lbs. Hilly terrain. No problems but I knew I had to upgrade when we decided to get a 7K 30' class TT.

If not for that, I'd keep it. It has been super dependable.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Flattering words, but now I'm a bit intimidated! 🤣

I'm now on the hook for you to get 200,000 miles out of your 3.5 Ecoboost BECAUSE you are towing 7000lbs up and down grades.

Seriously though..... I honestly feel like the anecdotal implications have more to do with the Ecoboost motor benefiting from several factors. Primarily the motor being able to operate at full operating temps, rather than the typical daily short tripping that I suspect many (most) experience?
Also, the 3.5 Ecoboost has had a variable pressure oil pump since 2017. At low load the motor is at 20-30 psi. Even cruising at 80mph!
But under load, it's 60-70 psi. So when towing? Yea, you guessed it. :)

I also like to believe that folks that work their vehicles often pay closer attention to most maintenance needs? A bit of stereotyping admittedly, but I don't think it's a stretch to assume that folks that are asking more of their vehicle, especially when away from home, are also likely to err on the side of changing oil and air filters and transmission fluid and...... earlier and more frequently than most.

These aren't fragile motors. They are designed for what you fellas are using them for.

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance

Conclusion

Details

Setup (Picture below)

Speed
- 100-105 k/hr (~65 mph)
- used tow mode mostly

Payload - 1843 lbs

Sway

Gas Mileage ESTIMATE

I went from a 2016 EB 2.7L XLT to a '21 3.5L Lariat because I figured out the 2.7 was so limited on towing capacity. However, I've never towed a TT and was completely ignorant about how it really works. Was a bit disgruntled that I fell for Fords marketing about tow limits greater than 11000 lbs. My fault. Loved seeing this as you evidently have essentially my same truck,but confused because you state 1800lb payload and mine is like 1450lbs? I do have the big moonroof, but is that 400lbs?? And does that mean your trailer is now outside my realm of reality? I was thinking your TT was an example of the absolute maximum I could consider...now I'm worried that's unattainable.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If your Payload is 400lbs less, you likely have the heavy, but nice, options.
Panoroof and bed utility package are both heavy taxes. As is power running boards and factory spray in bedliner and/or tonneau cover.

Of course 4WD VS 2WD is a big bite too.

But you are far from the only person to bite on "towing capacity" marketing VS Payload capacity. And Ford isn't the only one that markets with the emphasis on the one you won't run out of first. :)

OP
OP
Northguy

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I went from a 2016 EB 2.7L XLT to a '21 3.5L Lariat because I figured out the 2.7 was so limited on towing capacity. However, I've never towed a TT and was completely ignorant about how it really works. Was a bit disgruntled that I fell for Fords marketing about tow limits greater than 11000 lbs. My fault. Loved seeing this as you evidently have essentially my same truck,but confused because you state 1800lb payload and mine is like 1450lbs? I do have the big moonroof, but is that 400lbs?? And does that mean your trailer is now outside my realm of reality? I was thinking your TT was an example of the absolute maximum I could consider...now I'm worried that's unattainable.
Thankful with the help of this forum I was able to spec my truck to ensure I had enough payload - 1843lbs because with my old f150 I was pushing or over the limit. My new truck with max tow and 3.55 gear ratio has a rating of 14,000lbs towing but reality is I would hit payload limit well below that even with my high payload rating.

As @Snakebitten highlights, options add up fast. You have a Lariat vs my xlt so you have a lot of payload eating options (though very nice to have when u aren't towing). For example - these are just high level estimates and are off a bit but on this forum there is a great list of payload hit per option
- Pano roof - 80lbs
- tailgate step - 45 lbs
- power running boards - 30 lbs
- navigation as part of copilot assist -8 lbs
- depending on stereo u got - 30 lbs
- adjustable gas/brake pedals - 8 lbs.

Any factory add on - bed liner, wheel covers etc also take away from payload.

So all the nice things you get with a Lariat do hit the payload but you get to enjoy them on a daily basis. As mentioned above I really regret not getting a few options that my Lariat owning friends have and highlight to me everytime I get in their trucks.

Because of this forum and having owned an under-payload truck before, I ended up learning a lot more of the details for this order which far exceeded what the salesperson knew and who quoted the 14,000lb towing capacity constantly! Also using Chandler's voice from friends - "Could Ford make towing calculations ANY MORE difficult?"

Lots of really good people on this forum know the calcs better than me and I am not giving recommendations but will share how I did my own if it helps (rightly or wrongly - lots will say payload is only an estimate that trucks can handle lots more or there are different ways to calc)

- 7000lbs *13% =910 lbs
- hitch - 100lbs
- wife and I plus a dog - 400lbs

Total before anything else in the truck is 1410 lbs. For us, that leaves 433 lbs for cargo in the truck - generator, bikes, luggage etc. For us that gives us lots of room. Again this is what I used and I am not suggesting it is the only way.

Hope that helps.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Thankful with the help of this forum I was able to spec my truck to ensure I had enough payload - 1843lbs because with my old f150 I was pushing or over the limit. My new truck with max tow and 3.55 gear ratio has a rating of 14,000lbs towing but reality is I would hit payload limit well below that even with my high payload rating.

As @Snakebitten highlights, options add up fast. You have a Lariat vs my xlt so you have a lot of payload eating options (though very nice to have when u aren't towing). For example - these are just high level estimates and are off a bit but on this forum there is a great list of payload hit per option
- Pano roof - 80lbs
- tailgate step - 45 lbs
- power running boards - 30 lbs
- navigation as part of copilot assist -8 lbs
- depending on stereo u got - 30 lbs
- adjustable gas/brake pedals - 8 lbs.

Any factory add on - bed liner, wheel covers etc also take away from payload.

So all the nice things you get with a Lariat do hit the payload but you get to enjoy them on a daily basis. As mentioned above I really regret not getting a few options that my Lariat owning friends have and highlight to me everytime I get in their trucks.

Because of this forum and having owned an under-payload truck before, I ended up learning a lot more of the details for this order which far exceeded what the salesperson knew and who quoted the 14,000lb towing capacity constantly! Also using Chandler's voice from friends - "Could Ford make towing calculations ANY MORE difficult?"

Lots of really good people on this forum know the calcs better than me and I am not giving recommendations but will share how I did my own if it helps (rightly or wrongly - lots will say payload is only an estimate that trucks can handle lots more or there are different ways to calc)

- 7000lbs *13% =910 lbs
- hitch - 100lbs
- wife and I plus a dog - 400lbs

Total before anything else in the truck is 1410 lbs. For us, that leaves 433 lbs for cargo in the truck - generator, bikes, luggage etc. For us that gives us lots of room. Again this is what I used and I am not suggesting it is the only way.

Hope that helps.
That's a pretty impressive payload for a Lariat! 501 or 502?
My XLT 302 payload is 1,777....
Sponsored