Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information

Braeden

First Name
Braeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
+1 on this, did my raptor swap Friday with the BGG kit but had the factory harnesses already in place.
+2. Got a harness from BGG as well.
Sponsored

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
Just noticed my wheel sits slightly to the right when wheels area straight. Must have happened when tightening the bolt. I am not taking the wheel apart again, though, have ptsd from it 🙀. I guess no other way to straighten via rods or center link?

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Just noticed my wheel sits slightly to the right when wheels area straight. Must have happened when tightening the bolt. I am not taking the wheel apart again, though, have ptsd from it 🙀. I guess no other way to straighten via rods or center link?
Alignment is the only way to straighten these steering wheels since they are keyed on the steering shaft. Taking the steering wheel apart again wouldnt do any good to straighten it.

Mach725

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT Sport 302A 2.7L Space white
All I need now is the SCCM. Anyone have a lead on one?

Sponsored

JMoney17$

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PowerBoost
I have a 2023 powerboost XLT 302A

I went to run the wire for the HSW yesterday from the BCM to the SCCM and Slot 15 in the BCM is already occupied. This would lead me to believe that I already have the correct wiring for the SCCM but have not verified this yet. I was watching a video on HSW install on a 2020 using the BGG kit and the video said to use slot 15 or 16. Has anyone come across this in the 2021+ year trucks?

I plan on doing the full installation today so I should find out later.

JMoney17$

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PowerBoost
Completed Heated steering Wheel install.

I have a 2023 Powerboost XLT 302A

My truck did indeed come prewired to my surprise (I need to sell the wiring I purchased now if anyone is interested).

Items purchased:
Wheel: ML3Z 3600 RA
Wheel Bolt: W721079 S437
SCCM: ML3Z 3F791 BB

I purchased from Fairway Ford Parts and they were great.

Installation was a Breeze. I followed the video put up by Troy Randall on YouTube and everything went in easily. Thanks for the video!

My Forscan experience is limited but this is what I did:
1. Backed up my SCCM, APIM, and HVAC modules prior to doing anything.
2. Once installation was complete in forscan:
- Restored the Stock SCCM settings I had originally saved to the new unit.
- Enabled heated steering wheel in SCCM
- Enabled heated steering wheel in APIM
- Enabled Remote start Steering wheel in APIM
- Changed Vehicle type to F-Series in APIM - Interestingly I did not have a choice for superduty as was recommended much earlier in this thread so I went or F series.

These changes enabled a soft button but it could not be selected.

I found some info from Jesse in this thread with the recommendation to make the following adjustment in the HVAC module:

733-01-02
XXX8 XXXX XXXX

Add 8 to whatever is there. Probably a 1 so make it a 9.

This made the soft button active. I pushed it and everything is working.

I purchased a new HVAC module but am waiting to put it in as I want to do ambient lighting installation at the same time and would prefer not to remove all of the trim multiple times.

Thanks for all of the recommendations/tips/tricks in this thread. I am coming from a 20 year old Toyota Tacoma and feel fortunate to find this resource as I know nothing about these trucks.

Last edited:

SamE0717

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 Platinum
Having read the majority of this thread it appears most are other trim levels and only a few Platinum+ which is slightly different animal. Can anyone speak to SCCM part number for a loaded up '23 Platinum. I know a couple users were talking about it, @FordPrefect @PBJelly @bossbolognese @asouza68 were talking about Platinum trim level 23's. Sounds like I'm in your camp.

I have a '23 Platinum loaded up like a limited that was hit with a couple deletes including the "Sterling Wheel - Heat Removal" on the sticker.

Also I think having Active Steering play into this @dolsen? I believe my truck HAS ACTIVE STEERING.

In playing with truck yesterday and it would turn steering wheel for it’s self both with pro trailer backup and running blue cruise truck was turning steering wheel around bends in the road as well as lane centering it’s self.

So I believe my question is what is the SSCM part number for active steering?

My steering wheel and current HVAC control module w/out heated steering button
Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information IMG_4432 Lar

Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information IMG_4433 Lar

Last edited:

FordPrefect

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Platinum PB, R1200RT, Fuell Flluid
Ugh. The whole "active steering" thing makes me sad. It is also called (I think more appropriately) "adaptive steering". This is separate and apart from "electronic steering" which is essential to letting the wheel be turned by the truck (e.g. for the BlueCruise and trailer backup assist features). You can have both, if you can order the truck that way.

I wasn't allowed to order Adaptive Steering in my loaded '23 Platinum. The dealer just said Ford wouldn't permit it. I assumed this meant that they just didn't have the parts, but later heard from someone on this forum (@DcnPat) that their '23 Limited came with it. It is on his window sticker. My bad - I leapt to a conclusion there. It comes standard on the Limited and apparently Ford had enough parts to keep building them with it, but wouldn't sell it to me on a Platinum.

If you have a loaded '23 Platinum and somehow have Active/Adaptive Steering, that would imply that you managed to order it (on a '23 Platinum) and paid extra for it. It should appear on your window sticker, probably under "Optional Equipment/Other". If you don't see it there, you do at least have electronic steering, to support the features you noted are working.

I do not know the SCCM part number for trucks equipped with Adaptive Steering. I do know these parts seem to show up in the catalog with the "with Active Steering" language. I do know the part I bought for my loaded '23 Platinum, which does have BlueCruise and trailer backup assist (but not Adaptive Steering) is the ML3Z-3F791-BB. That is the complete assembly that comes with the turn signal stalk and connectors on both sides - for the wheel on one side, and the BCM on the other.

I haven't put it in yet (by the time I got it, it was already warm out here in southern New Mexico), but it _looks_ perfect for the job. Has all the right connectors on both sides. I probably won't even need to swap in my existing turn signal stalk. If I find out that I'm wrong I'll certainly report back here.

Mach725

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 XLT Sport 302A 2.7L Space white
Thought I purchased what was needed but I guess I only got the clock spring and not the actual SCCM. Everything else went in no problem. Anyone have insight on how to make the APIM to superduty? I couldn’t figure that out. I’m looking to just do the soft button on my 12”
Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information 64127612-5EBB-4628-8EB6-6E7757557731

Sponsored

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Thought I purchased what was needed but I guess I only got the clock spring and not the actual SCCM. Everything else went in no problem. Anyone have insight on how to make the APIM to superduty? I couldn’t figure that out. I’m looking to just do the soft button on my 12”
Vehicle (V) *To enable climate IOD side screen to enable HSW from the screen, only needed if not installing HVAC controls with HSW button
7D0-03-02 **xx xxxx xx--
0B = V P702 - F150
10 = V P558 - Super duty

SamE0717

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 Platinum
Ugh. The whole "active steering" thing makes me sad. It is also called (I think more appropriately) "adaptive steering". This is separate and apart from "electronic steering" which is essential to letting the wheel be turned by the truck (e.g. for the BlueCruise and trailer backup assist features). You can have both, if you can order the truck that way.

I wasn't allowed to order Adaptive Steering in my loaded '23 Platinum. The dealer just said Ford wouldn't permit it. I assumed this meant that they just didn't have the parts, but later heard from someone on this forum (@DcnPat) that their '23 Limited came with it. It is on his window sticker. My bad - I leapt to a conclusion there. It comes standard on the Limited and apparently Ford had enough parts to keep building them with it, but wouldn't sell it to me on a Platinum.

If you have a loaded '23 Platinum and somehow have Active/Adaptive Steering, that would imply that you managed to order it (on a '23 Platinum) and paid extra for it. It should appear on your window sticker, probably under "Optional Equipment/Other". If you don't see it there, you do at least have electronic steering, to support the features you noted are working.

I do not know the SCCM part number for trucks equipped with Adaptive Steering. I do know these parts seem to show up in the catalog with the "with Active Steering" language. I do know the part I bought for my loaded '23 Platinum, which does have BlueCruise and trailer backup assist (but not Adaptive Steering) is the ML3Z-3F791-BB. That is the complete assembly that comes with the turn signal stalk and connectors on both sides - for the wheel on one side, and the BCM on the other.

I haven't put it in yet (by the time I got it, it was already warm out here in southern New Mexico), but it _looks_ perfect for the job. Has all the right connectors on both sides. I probably won't even need to swap in my existing turn signal stalk. If I find out that I'm wrong I'll certainly report back here.
Great explanation! Silly / confusing naming on Ford's part but upon further research I believe you are correct. At least in the '23 model year, from the factory you can only get adaptive steering on the Limited line.

I went back and looked at the order guides. A maxed out Platinum has everything under the "Ford Co-Pilot360 Technology" section except Adaptive Steering.

* 360-Degree Camera
*Auto High Beams with Rain Sensing Wipers
Ford Co-Pilot360 Active (Blue Cruise)
Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist (Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control, Stop and Go, Lane Centering, Speed Sign Recognition, Evasive Steering Assist, Intersection Assist, Connective Built-in Navigation)

Which brings up a totally different thought. Whats missing that keeps Platinum's having Adaptive Steering when it's got everything else. But that's a rabbit hole to potentially chase another time.

Buddy726

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Can anybody on here give me pinpoint directions on how to program with foreskin the HVAC with the numbers in it and the clock spring anybody know the codes cause I’m doing this job this weekend and I’d like to get it done right the first time. Thank you.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Can anybody on here give me pinpoint directions on how to program with foreskin the HVAC with the numbers in it and the clock spring anybody know the codes cause I’m doing this job this weekend and I’d like to get it done right the first time. Thank you.
It depends on what your truck has for options, so what worked for me might not be the values you need to put in. For example, 733-01-02 you need to change xxx*, but the value you input also depends on if you have a heated windscreen, if the vehicle has a battery pack cooler, if the vehicle has a front in-car sensor. You need to look at what your current asbuilt values are in order to determine what value to enter.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
My truck is a 2023 platinum. I know I have a heated steering wheel because I was the first to post on here that the clock spring had to dummy ports. But the steering wheel is a heated steering wheel so I have my clock spring and with the HVAC I have it with the heated steering wheel button and to make the buttons light up with the temperature
Sounds great, but my above post still applies where you need to see what your current asbuilt values are so you can determine what you need to input. How familiar are you with Forscan?
Sponsored