Sponsored

Cephas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT 302a Sport Carbonized Grey
When I was ordering my truck, it was available and I paid 50 bucks to have it removed. :ROFLMAO: Money well spent if you ask me.
Sponsored

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Never understood why people hate it. If I have to sit in traffic rather save some fuel. Love that my 21 has it.
Same. I rent a fair amount of cars and most have it and I could not care less. I figure it’s designed to do it and most cars it’s pretty seem less. I have a PB so it’s not even an issue for me. My wife has a 22 equinox and the stop/start is so smooth if I’m not looking at the tach I’m not even aware of it half the time. Lol.

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum 701A
Bringing back Auto Stop/start? Now I know the world is going to hell in a hand basket.

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
The supply constraint excuse Ford keeps using is well past it's prime at this point. They have had years to sort this crap out and continue to fail to do so.

It's not that big of a deal really. It's easily circumvented with Forscan or the various adapters on the market. The one I used in my Ranger would remember the last state the Auto S/S switch was in so if it was turned off at vehicle shut down, it would be off the next power on event or vise/versa. I don't mind it on the PB since the AC continues to run when at stop lights where the traditional ICE variants stop and when it's 100 outside it gets warm pretty quick.
I do understand your point but i'm sure the majority wouldn't want to take auto start stop at the end of the day Lol. I'm not sure on how it works with other automotive makers but my Ram keeps A/C on while auto start stop is enabled.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Auto start/stop is one of my favorite features on my F-150. I've sat in traffic for hours without burning fuel except as necessary to keep the system charged. Saves pollution, saves fuel, less time on the engine in idle… all good.
As a pedestrian and cyclist more than I am in my truck, I wish more vehicles would have it. Unfortunately, all it takes is one old jalopy or some dickhead to tune his just off lease 2019 BMW to backfire at idle to ruin the air quality that is only possible because of all the tighter emissions controls.

Some people either forget or never knew the misery of living in a city where you could barely breathe because of smog from leaded gas, unburnt fuel from worn out carburetors and chain smoking on every street corner and stoop.

The people who actually like auto start/stop and consider it a feature instead of a bug probably also eat glue.
Ford F-150 F-150 gets back Auto Start/Stop feature starting on 3/24/23 748759A4-D3E1-46A2-BD05-5476723DC7F3

I wouldn’t mind being able to turn it on when I know it will be beneficial. I absolutely hate it when first turning the truck on and then it immediately turns off again when I am waiting for the heat to start working and I stop at the end of my street.

Based on the banner of the post, it seems like there’s a button to disable it?..
There’s a button front and center on the dash. Problem is; that you have to remember to press it every time you start the truck.

Another way around the start stop is not to push the brake all of the way down at a stop...
A problem with this is if you are rear ended in traffic, you’ll be launched into the car in front or the intersection rather than just getting a folded up rear bumper in a lower speed collision.

Even if you keep one eye in the rear view mirror, it might not help in a chain reaction collision. Watch a few YouTube crash compilations and it’s pretty surprising how far a car stopped at a light can go when bumped, even if its brake lights stay on the whole time.

I’ve learned to wiggle the wheel before I want to drive off from a stop when the engine is killed or while parking if I forget to press the button.

HeadBanger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
My 21 doesn't have it and I'm glad. To me, that's just a weird feature. I tried the 'hill hold' feature and thought it was weird as well.
I guess they both have their places..

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
My 21 doesn't have it and I'm glad. To me, that's just a weird feature. I tried the 'hill hold' feature and thought it was weird as well.
I guess they both have their places..

agreed.

I wouldnt care if they made the ASS control a regular switch. leave it off or leave it on. your choice. not every time I get in.

its the one delete in my truck I was excited about.

TylerNinetyTwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL Regular Cab
@Pedaldude in heavy, and i mean heavy, stop and go traffic maybe it makes a difference in the amount of co2 pumped into the air but in light stop and go traffic if it's constantly turning on and off again i can't imagine that is helping the environment let alone the life of your engine. im happy to see you can buy your glue in bulk.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Pedaldude ...but in light stop and go traffic if it's constantly turning on and off again...
Which is why there’s a switch on the dashboard.

Besides, in light stop and go traffic; try leaving a little more space in front of your truck. Just make sure to scan the adjacent lanes for dickheads trying to hop lanes.

I’m surprised that your AS/S functions. My truck always has Max AC selected, even in the winter to keep recirculate on so that the shitty highway air doesn’t get pumped into the cab. It’s not like it gets cold in Phoenix.

It really does need a better threshold for activating, as it’s annoying as hell when it kills the engine when you’re just pausing to check for cross traffic at the end of a residential street.

It’s definitely effective though for five minute traffic lights and was crucial for the one tank that I got 20MPG on. It’s not so much the individual savings on emissions but the cumulative effect. Unfortunately, it only takes one Mitsubishi box truck with bad rings and worn spark plugs to undue all those gains.

I took an eTransit out for a test drive and it’s truly a miserable experience driving around a 3-ton golf cart. If things like auto stop/start, cylinder deactivation and hybrids keep V-8 trucks on the road longer, then I am all for it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Uncorked

Uncorked

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL
agreed.

I wouldnt care if they made the ASS control a regular switch. leave it off or leave it on. your choice. not every time I get in.

its the one delete in my truck I was excited about.
I agree with your take. I don't mind ASS being there, and I don't mind it being turned on by default, but there should be an option to disable it off. Having to turn it off manually at every engine start is annoying.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I love that I have a 2023 V8 engine that just runs and doesn’t have start/stop. It’s like the holy grail, 400 horsepower, sounds good, AND no start stop BS?!?!? I was jumping up and down with excitement on the test drive when the salesman told me it’s not available. He said most customers had the same reaction. I have my contracts and checked, nowhere did I sign an affidavit for missing features. I didn’t sign one at the dealer either, I signed X-plan price agreement and the College student purchase program agreement those are all I have besides the sales contract…but nothing on auto start stop

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
I agree with your take. I don't mind ASS being there, and I don't mind it being turned on by default, but there should be an option to disable it off. Having to turn it off manually at every engine start is annoying.
I put one of those AutoStop dongles in my 21 Ranger. the ASS worked like it should. it remained in the position I left it. And there were a few times in heavy stopped city driving I gave it a try, let it do its thing. But it was my choice (jeez, I sound like a protester ). So I get it. some people like it. for me its not worth it, I dont commute in stop and go traffic.

I left the dongle in the truck when I traded it in, so somewhere there is a guy/girl in a 21 ranger going, whats all this talk about pushing it each time? as theirs is magically staying where they left it. like it should from the factory.

TylerNinetyTwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL Regular Cab
Which is why there’s a switch on the dashboard.

Besides, in light stop and go traffic; try leaving a little more space in front of your truck. Just make sure to scan the adjacent lanes for dickheads trying to hop lanes.

I’m surprised that your AS/S functions. My truck always has Max AC selected, even in the winter to keep recirculate on so that the shitty highway air doesn’t get pumped into the cab. It’s not like it gets cold in Phoenix.

It really does need a better threshold for activating, as it’s annoying as hell when it kills the engine when you’re just pausing to check for cross traffic at the end of a residential street.

It’s definitely effective though for five minute traffic lights and was crucial for the one tank that I got 20MPG on. It’s not so much the individual savings on emissions but the cumulative effect. Unfortunately, it only takes one Mitsubishi box truck with bad rings and worn spark plugs to undue all those gains.

I took an eTransit out for a test drive and it’s truly a miserable experience driving around a 3-ton golf cart. If things like auto stop/start, cylinder deactivation and hybrids keep V-8 trucks on the road longer, then I am all for it.
So you would rather change your driving habits and deal with ASS? I shouldn't have to leave more room in front of me in traffic to accommodate this bs. Sure I guess it could be effective, if I'm being charitable, during a 5 minute traffic light but where I live that isn't the norm. I agree with you that it takes all of us to do our part to not pump the atmosphere full of co2 but the real solution is electric vehicles, not ASS on a combustion engine. Let me guess, you also think your active air dam saves you a ton of money on fuel...it's a bunch of bs that ford uses to look better in the eyes of the EPA and whatever else 3 letter agency can get them grant money/tax credit. Yes, a simpler solution would be to have a setting within software to disable it through the touch screen but clearly ford isn't interested in doing that because it would hurt their bottom line. Luckily my truck had it deleted from the factory and I got $50 off the sticker price.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So you would rather change your driving habits and deal with ASS?...Let me guess, you also think your active air dam saves you a ton of money on fuel...
It’s how I’ve always driven, mostly a habit from most of the vehicles that I’ve owned having manual transmissions. I’ve gone 60K miles on a set of brake pads. I don’t like stopping; even if the engine stays on.

Ford F-150 F-150 gets back Auto Start/Stop feature starting on 3/24/23 B2E35B33-7D00-466B-8703-F6981052BCA5

I’d say that I am ambivalent towards the active air dam:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/active-air-dam-issue.3398/page-2#post-53356

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...on-deploying-at-45-mph.2024/page-2#post-27997

Though if given a choice, I would much rather have whatever money the air dam cost than the air dam.

What I would give up for free and maybe even pay to have removed is the cylinder deactivation, which; of all the gimmicks to game the EPA drive cycle, is the one I worry the most about.

The AS/S is probably the only one that actually saves fuel for the average urban user. Since our trucks get zero miles per gallon when stuck at traffic lights or in traffic.

On a regular 12 mile route that I drive, which is optimized to avoid lights and maximize right hand turns; I can spend up to 30 minutes stuck at lights or waiting at stop signs for traffic. Usually that’s due to people driving like they have 2X4s under their accelerator pedal and that it’s their mission to hit every red light, because at 4AM or on Sunday afternoons the same route will take me 22 minutes.

Someone could probably make a spreadsheet and figure out what fuel price is needed to justify each one of these features and extrapolate the diminished service life of the starter motor and its replacement cost over the life of the vehicle.

Again, my auto start/stop doesn’t even activate when I want it to over the last year or so, since my battery has been on the weak side since new and I have Max AC selected 99% of the time. So this is all academic.
Sponsored