Sponsored

How to determine trailer length?

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
With a tape measure duh! I'm a noob trailering. What exactly is the trailer length? I will be towing my son's BSA Troop cargo trailer. It's small. The box is about 10 ft. Is the trailer length the length of the box or is it from the very back of the box to the very front to include the tongue? I'm asking because I'd like to enter the trailer's info into my truck.
Sponsored

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Measure from the truck bumper to the back of the trailer.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
With a tape measure duh! I'm a noob trailering. What exactly is the trailer length? I will be towing my son's BSA Troop cargo trailer. It's small. The box is about 10 ft. Is the trailer length the length of the box or is it from the very back of the box to the very front to include the tongue? I'm asking because I'd like to enter the trailer's info into my truck.
This is the measurement that you're looking for for the purposes of adding the trailer dimensions into the truck's memory.

Since you're a "trailering noob," I'll give you one pointer: when the scouts are loading the trailer with their gear, try to have them load more gear towards the front of the trailer. It doesn't need to be all in front of the axle, but you generally want the hitch to carry 10-15% of the total trailer weight to minimize trailer sway. I know that you probably won't have any way to weigh the trailer, so you're probably going to have to go on gut feelings more than anything else. The factory weight of the trailer should be labeled on a sticker in the front left corner of the trailer, but that won't take into account any modifications that the troop has done to the trailer (shelves, permanent trailer gear, etc.)

But you might be able to physically lift the tongue of the trailer empty to get a feel for it's balance (pivoting around the trailer axles). Once it's loaded, you can try the same task--if it's rear-weighted, lifting the tongue will be easier than it was before...and that means that you'll be headed for a world of pain when you get on the highway. It's a balancing act (literally), and having the trailer slightly (10-15%) overweighted towards the front of the trailer will keep you from experiencing much trailer sway.

cheesedogf150

First Name
CheeseDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
word of advice, write down the dimensions somewhere like on paper, in your phone and keep it handy

the truck will randomly forget the measurements and replace them with the default values - lame

Sponsored

Gutshot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT screw
Occupation
Aggregate junkie
Sooner or later you will need to back the trailer into a spot. If you plan on using the backup assist, good luck, I couldn’t get it to work properly. But I can give you a method that my high school buddies MOM taught me. When backing up, keep one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel (6 o’clock position) and either looking over your shoulder or in the mirrors, slowly move the wheel to the direction you need the trailer to go. Ex: trailer is wandering to the passenger side, move your the wheel to the driver’s side until it straightens out, long wheelbase trucks and short wheelbase trailers are a challenge, take your time, use a spotter, and practice in an open lot. Good luck to you.

OP
OP
oneinch

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
Thank you all. Great answers and good advise. Each is much appreciated. 👍
Sponsored