Livernois tuner for Powerboost?

Ajtalbon

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Anyone have a dyno sheet from Livernois for the powerboost? Curious to see the gains at the wheel.
Sponsored

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I don't recall anything posted by users, but I may be wrong. Livernois does post numbers in this video -

There have been a few revisions of the tune since that was created, so I suspect it may be making a little bit more power now as well.

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
The smooth power delivery, low noise and size are factors. If you want it to feel faster, turn off traction control for some added noise. :D
Yes, I just started playing with turning off the traction control and the truck is much better with this turned off as it's quite interruptive. My modified Corvette had the same issue.

I needed to pull out in to fast moving traffic and it was a bit scary to have the truck all but die in the middle of the road on me, and I had to let off the throttle completely, then slowly roll the throttle back on.

In my case, losing control of the vehicle due to no TC is no concern at all. I'm as comfortable and controlled while sideways in an automobile as I am going perfectly straight.

The other thing I noticed is that acceleration seems smoother and surer footed with TC turned off even at times that I didn't realize that TC was being disruptive.

Except for during inclement weather, I'll be turning TC off every time I fire the truck up moving forward.

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Yeah, I've had that happen as well - I knew I could pull out, gave it a little too much throttle, the torque management kicked in and it fell on its face.

I'm good with a little wheelspin or sideways action, knowing that it's going to actually do whatI tell it to. In general driving, I do think it does feel better turned off. There's still plenty of grip to not completely smoke the tires (unless wanted), especially in 4A.

I think the TC is a bit too aggressive in most cases - as long as you're not a complete idiot, it's fine off. In rain, it'll be on and I'll likely be in slippery mode as well.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Yes, I just started playing with turning off the traction control and the truck is much better with this turned off as it's quite interruptive. My modified Corvette had the same issue.

I needed to pull out in to fast moving traffic and it was a bit scary to have the truck all but die in the middle of the road on me, and I had to let off the throttle completely, then slowly roll the throttle back on.

In my case, losing control of the vehicle due to no TC is no concern at all. I'm as comfortable and controlled while sideways in an automobile as I am going perfectly straight.

The other thing I noticed is that acceleration seems smoother and surer footed with TC turned off even at times that I didn't realize that TC was being disruptive.

Except for during inclement weather, I'll be turning TC off every time I fire the truck up moving forward.
Are you in 2 or 4a? While I can't throw my XLT w/ 4a around like I can the MME, the MME's torque vectoring is the best 'put the torque where it needs to go' system I've ever driven. I've got a few more days on my insurance monitoring period before I can really get back to beating on the vehicles,

The higher trim MMEs has 2 identical motors front and rear w/ completely open diffs using the brakes to effortlessly and seamlessly put the power down. Daily I have a tire coming off of the ground due to stiff suspension and there's no wheel spin as the system instantly reacts without even a hint that the system is working. I suspect a very similar system is present in the F150, particularly in 4a. The MME drives like it's on rails that the steering wheel effortlessly moves around. It's very predictable and repeatable performance. You can scare the shit out of passengers without meaning to once you're used to its predictable capabilities, particularly pulling into traffic w/ cross traffic present. You see an opening and you go for it. No spinning / noise / fuss, it just does exactly what you want it to in the manner you expected it to do it.

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Are you in 2 or 4a? While I can't throw my XLT w/ 4a around like I can the MME, the MME's torque vectoring is the best 'put the torque where it needs to go' system I've ever driven. I've got a few more days on my insurance monitoring period before I can really get back to beating on the vehicles,

The higher trim MMEs has 2 identical motors front and rear w/ completely open diffs using the brakes to effortlessly and seamlessly put the power down. Daily I have a tire coming off of the ground due to stiff suspension and there's no wheel spin as the system instantly reacts without even a hint that the system is working. I suspect a very similar system is present in the F150, particularly in 4a. The MME drives like it's on rails that the steering wheel effortlessly moves around. It's very predictable and repeatable performance. You can scare the shit out of passengers without meaning to once you're used to its predictable capabilities, particularly pulling into traffic w/ cross traffic present. You see an opening and you go for it. No spinning / noise / fuss, it just does exactly what you want it to in the manner you expected it to do it.
There really is very little additional drag on an EV for AWD, such is the nature of EVs.

However, in the case of my Powerboost, engaging 4A induces notable drag in the drivetrain most assuredly reducing efficiency. Guessing the air lock hubs lock in? It's not something I would engage unless everyday conditions warranted it.

Another note regarding the Livernois tune: Some pages back there was an early dyno chart that showed only improvements above 4K rpm. However, I'm here to let you know that the truck feels notably better well below 4K rpm. In fact, I'd argue that's where you feel the most difference in everyday drive feel with the tune. When you go over 4K rpm things are happening faster and the differences are hardy to parcel out. But once you just began cruising around you really begin to notice how effortlessly it picks up right from idle.

It's very nice to drive like this.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
There really is very little additional drag on an EV for AWD, such is the nature of EVs.

However, in the case of my Powerboost, engaging 4A induces notable drag in the drivetrain most assuredly reducing efficiency. Guessing the air lock hubs lock in? It's not something I would engage unless everyday conditions warranted it.
Air lock hubs?
I don't think the Powerboost even has IWE's? (electric on the Gen14)
I know that mine doesn't. The hubs are permanently "locked", therefore in 2WD, the front axles are spinning anyway.

I don't feel the 4A drag. I DO feel the additional contact patch(s) that is participating in the torque transfer to the tarmac.

4A is overkill for driving sedately, or for even normal driving on dry pavement. But if I am feeling even the slightest spirited? It's not overkill at all. And I don't sense the efficiency tax much either. A wonderful option. Should be included on every 4WD F150 regardless of trim level. (in my opinion)

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
I definitely feel something draggy when that 4A is engaged on my '21.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
One man's draggy is another's "connected". :)

I even enjoy the additional weighted steering and feedback.
Turn off level 1 traction nanny and become the pilot.

A rear Antisway bar really enhances the chassis dynamics too. Such a nice truck to drive.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I believe it was established that 2022+ MY 4A trucks were equipped with full-time locked/fixed hubs. Only us XL/XLTs that have put the 4a transfer case in still have the electronic locking hubs. There shouldn't be any binding feeling in 4a, not at least like locked 4WD provides. You can unquestionably feel it when the TC is locked. Only higher end tremors and raptors can truly lock the TC into 4wd, while still having 4a as an option as well.

Has the behavior you're seeing @Suns_PSD post tuning match pre? Ford went with locked hubs w/MY 2022 due to the hubs failing / making noise. I believe their 'fix' for the issue was to lock the hubs and then disconnect them so they couldn't be unlocked. This change also coincided with a reduced published mileage rating due to a continually engaged front axle / diff.

As for electric not having 'drag', unfortunately that's not true. Drag is drag. That front motor's presence costs about 40 miles in range vs those w/ out it. That hit is moot for those of us that don't need to charge daily.

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Does Ford alter the steering feel when 4A is engaged?

Like I said, it feels pretty drag-gy when I engage the 4A. Even feels like it doesn't coast as well. I'll get used to the truck and get a mpg baseline with my new AT tires, then I'll test a tank with 4A to compare mpg, and report back.

So some updates:
I'm only on like my 6th tank of fuel but best I can tell these are my economy numbers with each change:

1) stock with low tire pressure as it arrived (bought used) about 17-18.
2) stock with 45 psi in the tires I got low 21s.
3) added Tonneu cover and got mid 21s.
4) swapped to Premium fuel. First mixed tank came to low 22s. Next tank all Premium fuel came in at mid 22s.
5) Livernois tune, back to mid 21s but more fun to drive. I've reset it several times and it ends up back at 21.6mpg within 100 miles every time. The first couple of resets I was doing more full throttle runs than I did stock, but this last 250 mile stretch I drove it nicely and very little change. So it lost 1 mpg compared to stock with Premium fuel. Or I got the same economy as I did stock on RUG. No biggie and totally worth it. I'm not doing more 3/4> throttle runs on the tune than I was stock (about 1-2/ day), however one could argue that I'm doing more work when I do them because the truck accelerates faster now.

The lowest cost per mile is just stock, on RUG.
Most fun is Premium on the tune. But don't due it for economy improvements.

Next changes: All Terrain & 285 wide (but no leveling kit) tires being installed in a couple of days. I expect a drop to right at 20mpg, or a loss of 1.5mpg.

Then Amsoil for the oil change, expect no change in economy or any performance metric.

Then I have an AFE airbox on order. I expect no mpg change but a notable improvement in throttle response as that has been my experience with other AFE airboxes I've added, and I've done many. But will report back on this when I receive it.

That'll be it for mods for this truck.

Last edited:

Sixslow

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 powerboost
Occupation
Oil & Gas
Well, loaded both the Livernois 87-93 performance and finally the E-30 tune a few days ago. With the 87-93 and 91 in the tank, I was kinda disappointed at first, Kinda expected more.
Anyways, I quickly finished that tank of 91 and threw in some E-35 loaded the E-30 tune. Bam huge smile on my face. Truck is an absolute animal now. Truck honestly feels faster than my full bolt on 2015 supercab.
Datalogs and draggy times coming soon.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Well, loaded both the Livernois 87-93 performance and finally the E-30 tune a few days ago. With the 87-93 and 91 in the tank, I was kinda disappointed at first, Kinda expected more.
Anyways, I quickly finished that tank of 91 and threw in some E-35 loaded the E-30 tune. Bam huge smile on my face. Truck is an absolute animal now. Truck honestly feels faster than my full bolt on 2015 supercab.
Datalogs and draggy times coming soon.
@Sixslow Any concerns with e-30 sitting in the tank for a few weeks or a month?

Sixslow

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 powerboost
Occupation
Oil & Gas
@Sixslow Any concerns with e-30 sitting in the tank for a few weeks or a month?
No not really. But I burn through a tank every week or two tops. My previous truck I've never had issue with probably put 100k miles on the E30 tune.
You can get an ethanol gauge if your worried.
Sponsored