Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I bought lariat take-off leather for $200
The 4a xfer case upgrade cost about $1200 all in.
The PB comes with a lot of features for the $ -- the easiest 'engine' option there is.
XLT with leather AND 4A

You know your value equations.
That's how you get your cake and eat it too.
Sponsored

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
157" wheelbase costs 21 lbs
A remarkable bargain, in my opinion
I agree that it's cheap in that sense but, considering how close we are to our current payload limit, I'm not sure I would be able to make use of the additional space. The bed is full in our current use but the 2.4KW inverter would eliminate my generator, freeing a bit more room then I have now.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
... I think a carefully appointed 302A Powerboost with Katzkinz leather could achieve a great Payload Capacity and still be a luxury yacht.
I'm fine without leather. It may even be cooler. I can always replace it if it gets damaged or stained.

The one thing I know for sure that I can't get in an XLT is electric-folding tow mirrors, but I also know that replacing manual tow mirrors with BLIS with the same with the electric-folding feature is a realistic goal, although expensive.

I use my folding mirrors frequently. They are, like the tailgate step, very valuable to me, though not necessarily to others.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I have the bed step and haven't used it once. It, combined with factory spray-in liner were ~110lbs of payload. The assist 2.0 and 360 cams are worth every pound. Max tow is worthless on the powerboost, you run out of payload before hitting limits (while reducing payload).

I laugh at the suggestion of any trailer being 'too much' for the PB vs any other F150. The base weight of a 4x PB is 5500lbs before options (also comes w/ 3.73s), and the only version with a stronger frame is the raptor. The PB's additional mass is ~ 18" off the ground -- It's a very solid platform with the most gimped GVWR vs the components on the truck.
The factory spray-in liner was in the truck when I bought it. It's not a work truck so is unlikely to sustain major damage. Am I correct in thinking other versions of bed protection are lighter, and perhaps cheaper?

I could live without the extra features of the bed utility package but the step itself is a must for me.

What's the max tongue weight for the hitch that comes with the standard trailer tow package? The PB obviously doesn't get a 36 gallon tank and suspension enhancements can be added, if it's even useful.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I can think of several 21 lb options I would be willing to give up before I give that extra cargo storage space. The 6.5' bed, the factory Tow Mirrors, and the 7.2KW generator are now deal breakers for me. Instant spoiled by them all.

And although the turning radius suffers a bit, that extra wheel base adds some manners to a bumper tow rig. As well as a slightly improved empty ride.

By the way, I was toting a Yamaha 3000 and the 5 gallon gas can previously. That's a 200lb bonus to my Powerboost Payload capacity. So ~1500 really is 1700 in my glass half full way of looking at it. And NOT heaving that beast in/out of the truck?
I wanna KISS the gal or guy that first mentioned ProPower onboard in the engineering conference room at Ford! Simply brilliant.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I'm not certain that I can justify a PB over a standard 3.5 EB w/ MaxTow. My primary reason for considering a new tow vehicle is to get improved driving aids such as BLIS, adaptive cruise control, front/rear automatic braking and 360 degree cameras. Being retired and no longer driving the truck to work daily, I don't know if I would drive enough battery miles to justify the extra cost. The 2.4K inverter would be nice, but that's basically an expensive (and convenient) replacement for the 2K generator I already own.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
By the way, I was toting a Yamaha 3000 and the 5 gallon gas can previously. That's a 200lb bonus to my Powerboost Payload capacity. So ~1500 really is 1700 in my glass half full way of looking at it. And NOT heaving that beast in/out of the truck?
I wanna KISS the gal or guy that first mentioned ProPower onboard in the engineering conference room at Ford! Simply brilliant.
I have only a Honda EU2000i and don't need more, so I couldn't justify it that way.

Edit: I just weighed the generator with a nearly-full tank and the full 2.5 gallon supply tank: 71#.

Edit 2: I have solar panels and lithium batteries and have power at camp sites as often as not. I think I ran the generator twice on a 3 month trip last summer. I can run the A/C, microwave or Keurig with the generator, one at a time. We prefer camping where we don't need the A/C, anyway, which is the whole point of our long trips out of Florida. The point is I won't ever get a larger generator and the one I have isn't a monster.

Last edited:

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
My truck with all of the bits and bobs (including my WDH, a full tank of gas and ME) came in at 6500#. If you want an answer, you need all of your stuff (including you) plus a CAT scale. It was $15 and I think it would've been even less than that had I only wanted a number instead of a certified weight for my trailer registration.

My strong advice is to get concrete number from a scale, and then address the stuff in the vehicle. Apart from the moon roof, a lot of the truck's options are going to involve painful tradeoffs between weight and function. I found it easier to reconsider what items actually need to be in the vehicle at any time. Another issue for me is that my empty trailer weighs 2650#. I bet all of my kitting out (and by that I mean adding an interior...it is a SHELL right now) adds 2000# to that, but <5000# still pretty svelte for a 25' Airstream. I bring this up because sometimes the amount that we are carrying doesn't need to be quite so high. On the flip side, if you're hauling a utility trailer full of scrap iron, you may find that it's more important to have working trailer brakes than sweating exact numbers: really dense, low-drag loads aren't quite the issue that a travel trailer or boat is.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
The factory spray-in liner was in the truck when I bought it. It's not a work truck so is unlikely to sustain major damage. Am I correct in thinking other versions of bed protection are lighter, and perhaps cheaper?

I could live without the extra features of the bed utility package but the step itself is a must for me.

What's the max tongue weight for the hitch that comes with the standard trailer tow package? The PB obviously doesn't get a 36 gallon tank and suspension enhancements can be added, if it's even useful.
It really depends on what you're after. Some chase a higher 'sticker' rating by forgoing options from the factory, only to add them back in (logical, huh?). Ford is all over the place in regards to their sticker ratings. The 145/157 powerboosts share the same components sans the frame / bed. Ford considers the longer bed's front axle with the same components as magically able to support more weight, but doesn't give it to the truck in the GVWR. I made a post on the inconsistencies here....
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/the-pbs-franken-frame-and-gimped-gvwr-sticker.13070/

As for the generator, option the 7.2kw and don't look back -- it's worth the $700 as you can do all sorts of additional things w/ it the 2.4 can't (the 2.4 is 120v, the 7.2 is twin 3.6kw 120v legs 180 out of phase, aka, 240v). If you want the step, you got to get the bed utility package. Personally given my findings of the frame and other components, I really don't care about the sticker and its magical protections. A decently optioned PB comes in at 5800lbs with a lot of the weight down low. It handles well towing -- the more mass your tow vehicle, the better authority it has over the trailer. The longer wheel base provides a more stable towing platform, but not some game changing amount. You're chasing margins.

The 360 cams and the assist 2.0 are worth their costs. You can add the folding tow mirrors to the XLT 302a w/ a $100 harness. The mirrors with telescoping button included is $15xx (still need the fold switch from lariat+ -- $35.

Nice price drop! https://www.ebay.com/itm/165088233167

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have only a Honda EU2000i and don't need more, so I couldn't justify it that way.

Edit: I just weighed the generator with a nearly-full tank and the full 2.5 gallon supply tank: 71#.

Edit 2: I have solar panels and lithium batteries and have power at camp sites as often as not. I think I ran the generator twice on a 3 month trip last summer. I can run the A/C, microwave or Keurig with the generator, one at a time. We prefer camping where we don't need the A/C, anyway, which is the whole point of our long trips out of Florida. The point is I won't ever get a larger generator and the one I have isn't a monster.
Yes, but you can run a larger battery system and the 7.2 can quickly charge it instead of leaving the truck in gen mode over-night. Easier to just start it for an hour and let it run -- it's also more efficient on gas than all of the honda inverter gens, and both of the gens in the PB are pure-sinewave inverters.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
My truck with all of the bits and bobs (including my WDH, a full tank of gas and ME) came in at 6500#. If you want an answer, you need all of your stuff (including you) plus a CAT scale. ...
I've used them often enough that it aggravates my wife. That's how I know that my current truck is within all specs when fully loaded.

If I have payload sticker information off a current truck (as above) and option weight information I can use to adjust it to what I'd order, I can make a more informed decision.

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
It really depends on what you're after. Some chase a higher 'sticker' rating by forgoing options from the factory, only to add them back in (logical, huh?). Ford is all over the place in regards to their sticker ratings. The 145/157 powerboosts share the same components sans the frame / bed. Ford considers the longer bed's front axle with the same components as magically able to support more weight, but doesn't give it to the truck in the GVWR. I made a post on the inconsistencies here....
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/the-pbs-franken-frame-and-gimped-gvwr-sticker.13070/

As for the generator, option the 7.2kw and don't look back -- it's worth the $700 as you can do all sorts of additional things w/ it the 2.4 can't (the 2.4 is 120v, the 7.2 is twin 3.6kw 120v legs 180 out of phase, aka, 240v). If you want the step, you got to get the bed utility package. Personally given my findings of the frame and other components, I really don't care about the sticker and its magical protections. A decently optioned PB comes in at 5800lbs with a lot of the weight down low. It handles well towing -- the more mass your tow vehicle, the better authority it has over the trailer. The longer wheel base provides a more stable towing platform, but not some game changing amount. You're chasing margins.

The 360 cams and the assist 2.0 are worth their costs. You can add the folding tow mirrors to the XLT 302a w/ a $100 harness. The mirrors with folding / telescoping buttons included is $1900.
The 7.2kw can serve as my home generator (in hurricane country) but I haven't needed one for years (decades?). Also, being retired, my adjustment to no power can be to hitch up the trailer and travel. I put Lexan hurricane panels on the windows for that reason.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 7.2kw can serve as my home generator (in hurricane country) but I haven't needed one for years (decades?). Also, being retired, my adjustment to no power can be to hitch up the trailer and travel. I put Lexan hurricane panels on the windows for that reason.
The 7.2 can do other things like run a welder, backup a house, etc... It turns your truck into a little power plant. Nothing to throw in the bed, it's also the most efficient gen on the market. It's why I and many others swear by the 7.2 being worth it.

Keep in mind, we're REALLY close to the Ai singularity. Power grid going down is a real threat in the next year via many factors. Solar is the best bet, but a mobile power plant has loads of uses.
Sponsored