First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
Was really hoping this was going to be a software update and not a new module.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Not surprised it's upgraded hardware though.

(Edit: was informed this was NOT a newer IPMA, but rather an existing one with 1.2 installed)

There's just no way to get around the fact that the last smartphone or TV or laptop isn't going to be able to support all the software development 3 or 4 years down the road.

Tesla is releasing V4 of its hardware/software platform. Retrofitting has been declared as all but impossible. At the very least, impractical.

If Bluecruise 1.2 IS retrofitable, that's actually pretty good news for someone who wants to keep their truck but get the more polished version.

And besides, who's to say that the software improvements regarding better lane centering and corner taking won't be partially or mostly compatible with the current IPMA?

Last edited:

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
I'm more interested in auto lane switching. If I have to put on the turn signal then I might as well grab the wheel myself.

BC 1.0 works pretty good for my needs currently. I don't really have any of the issues he brought up in the video. I think the biggest thing for me at the moment would be adding more miles of road it's available on.

Not sure he mentioned it or maybe he doesn't know 100%, but perhaps it won't need a new module to work. Could very well need more processing power since they have a lot better idea with people using 1.0 on a daily basis now. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought he did indicate it's an upgraded IPMA.

Sponsored

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought he did indicate it's an upgraded IPMA.
I saw he installed a new one but that could be for any number of reasons. Very well could have upgraded hardware in it. Not sure I'd pay for an upgraded IPMA unless all the features Ford says BC 1.2 can do are all released at that time.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I honestly wouldn't purchase an upgraded IPMA just to get lane changing IF most of the "polish" of the existing Bluecruise attributes are available with software updates to current IPMA.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I honestly wouldn't purchase an upgraded IPMA just to get lane changing IF most of the "polish" of the existing Bluecruise attributes are available with software updates to current IPMA.
Yeah right now 1.0 works pretty good for me. I don't take a lot of long trips but if I have to intervene 5 minutes out of every hour with the current set up then I'm good. I've never had issues lane centering. Corners I usually hover a little bit over the wheel more than straight aways just because you never know. Software updates could probably polish up some of the nuisance alarms it pops up with.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I would definitely spend the cash on a new IPMA if BC1.2 is that much more stable on lane centering and lane biasing. I don't care about auto lane switching, but logging 30K interstate miles a year I really wish BC worked like it should, because for me it's not really hands free yet since I have to grab the wheel every time I pass someone since I can't trust it not to wander too close to them. At the moment I'm refusing to renew my subscription next week when my trial expires, but 1.2 could convince me to renew and upgrade the IPMA if I had to.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
The question for me is , Cost! We have been told that to renew our subscription to BC will be $600 for 3 years. I like using Bc, but the cost is prohibitive for the amount of times I will use it. Now we add in a new module and who knows what that cost will be. It would be nice if the current IPMA could handle the "polish" gears and gadgets spoke of. Lane changing is nice, but not cutting out and ping ponging within the lane would be nicer.

Sponsored

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
Ok…. Now that half a day has passed and I’m over the grief of this not being a software update… what is the part number of this new IPMA and what do we need to do to get it installed and working..

zacko11288

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet
Occupation
Engineering
Ok…. Now that half a day has passed and I’m over the grief of this not being a software update… what is the part number of this new IPMA and what do we need to do to get it installed and working..
Still not seeing anything definitive that a hardware upgrade is needed.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost
Was really hoping this was going to be a software update and not a new module.
Sorry guys, it is going to just be a software update. The process I went through to get BlueCruise 1.2 was to buy a new IPMA that had BC 1.2 on it and swap it out only because it’s not available to download directly to my current IPMA. You won’t have to buy a new IPMA. Running pre-release software its a good backup to have my original IPMA incase the pre-release software gets weird on me. I actually had explained this in the video but then cut it for time since the YouTube video was already 14 minutes long which is like 7 hours in movie time.

Pretty cool to wake up and find my video posted in the forum though.

Also, in true Ford execution I anticipate this OTA being pretty far out in the future. Ford had a September 22 press release that said it would be available “this fall” for Mach E’s and last I checked the Mach E forums, nobody has seen it yet.

Last edited:

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I'm more interested in auto lane switching. If I have to put on the turn signal then I might as well grab the wheel myself.

BC 1.0 works pretty good for my needs currently. I don't really have any of the issues he brought up in the video. I think the biggest thing for me at the moment would be adding more miles of road it's available on.

Not sure he mentioned it or maybe he doesn't know 100%, but perhaps it won't need a new module to work. Could very well need more processing power since they have a lot better idea with people using 1.0 on a daily basis now. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
If you are in yout car, you might as well drive.....

I will never understand or agree with this hands free driving crap.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's great news!
Good to hear that you were using 1.2 on a current generation IPMA.

I suspect that means that some you-know-who's on this forum have already figured out how to load 1.2 (beta?) on our IPMA and are doing some testing. :)
Sponsored