Leather Stx steering wheel conversion

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Thank you. About to do the swap today hopefully I don’t mess it up lol.
It's pretty easy, just disconnect the battery before removing the airbag would be my main point of caution to you

fabioew14

First Name
Fabio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150
It's pretty easy, just disconnect the battery before removing the airbag would be my main point of caution to you
Yeah I’ll be disconnecting the battery and letting it sit disconnected for around 20 minutes just to be safe. Thanks for the help.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Still on my "too do" list!

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Still on my "too do" list!
I just sold my old non heated lariat wheel to a local guy. The leather on the non heated wheel was much nicer than the heated wheel.

I also did this swap on my 2018 STX and Made the driving experience sooooo much better

Sponsored

Static

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 - 2021 XL 4x4 Supercab
Just did this swap (thanks for the wheel @dolsen ), advice I can give is, leave the battery plugged in to rotate the wheel to unclip the airbag, then unhook the negative battery cable and let sit before taking it out. I didn't have to take any of the plastic off of the steering column to do that, with the wheel rotated 90 degrees left and right I was able to get a screw driver in to the slot and release the clip.

The 2 plugs for the airbag release by popping the orange parts out first, they dont come out fully, just release back. And I had to swap my wheel buttons, the ones on the leather wheel had some extra stuff that my truck doesn't have, and none of the buttons worked on that side until I swapped the original buttons back in.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Just did this swap (thanks for the wheel @dolsen ), advice I can give is, leave the battery plugged in to rotate the wheel to unclip the airbag, then unhook the negative battery cable and let sit before taking it out. I didn't have to take any of the plastic off of the steering column to do that, with the wheel rotated 90 degrees left and right I was able to get a screw driver in to the slot and release the clip.

The 2 plugs for the airbag release by popping the orange parts out first, they dont come out fully, just release back. And I had to swap my wheel buttons, the ones on the leather wheel had some extra stuff that my truck doesn't have, and none of the buttons worked on that side until I swapped the original buttons back in.
Sorry about that, I probably should’ve given you the heads up on swapping the controls. I had a similar issue when I changed out my SCCM.

but good job swapping the wheel. Post some pics!

fabioew14

First Name
Fabio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150

Is it hard to swap out the buttons?

Static

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 - 2021 XL 4x4 Supercab
Sorry about that, I probably should’ve given you the heads up on swapping the controls. I had a similar issue when I changed out my SCCM.

but good job swapping the wheel. Post some pics!
No worries, I was just being lazy at first and hoping I didn't have to. I ended up just pulling out the whole trim piece that holds the buttons and putting it in the new wheel, but it looks like the buttons are just held in by some torx bits and snaps to that piece. I recommend taking apart the old wheel first to see how it all goes together, the trim piece is just those 2 t25 i think bolts and then it snaps out of the rest of the wheel.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
I just sold my old non heated lariat wheel to a local guy. The leather on the non heated wheel was much nicer than the heated wheel.

I also did this swap on my 2018 STX and Made the driving experience sooooo much better
yup, will do this!

Sponsored

JCM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
I found the same - my stock non-heated leather wheel (for sale in the classifieds) was a nicer material than the Lariat spec heated one.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I found the same - my stock non-heated leather wheel (for sale in the classifieds) was a nicer material than the Lariat spec heated one.
I’m guessing they changed the material due to all of the warranty issues they had with peeling heated steering wheels. The heated wheel feels more plasticized/rubberized. Had I not had the other wheel first, I probably wouldn’t have noticed or cared.

fabioew14

First Name
Fabio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150
Now I’m having issues with taking out the air bag. I put my screw driver through the hole and it won’t even release the air bag.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A

JCM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
I’m guessing they changed the material due to all of the warranty issues they had with peeling heated steering wheels. The heated wheel feels more plasticized/rubberized. Had I not had the other wheel first, I probably wouldn’t have noticed or cared.
Yes the heated wheel material is fine. If not for the comparison I wouldn’t have noticed it like you say.
Sponsored