Sponsored

5.0L V8 Cylinder Deactivation

Haulin455

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150
I’ve seen several auto news sites (including C&D) mention that Ford has implemented cylinder deactivation technology into the 5.0L V8. I don’t see this mentioned anywhere on the Ford website or in the released documents.

Is Ford actually moving forward with this and if they are do we know if we can fully disable it? I haven’t heard many good things regarding this technology within GM.
Sponsored

Blackout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I just backed out of the 5.0 and switched to the 3.5 Eco for my order.

Too many issues with the 2018-2020 5.0's with oil consumption that seem to have not been fully remedied, and now they adding another technology that has hampered other manufacturers V8 reliability.

Not suggesting you do the same, but seriously look into both Ford's issues, as well as other engine deactivation issues and decide what is best for you.

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
I heard that too. Ford is going into this technology. I was on the way to choose a V8 but with this new tech i'm gonna go with the 3.5 or 3 5 powerboost if this one is affordable in Canadian dollars.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Haulin455

Haulin455

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150
Any updates on this? Find it extremely odd that it isn’t mentioned anywhere on Ford’s site. Not even on the B&P Tool...

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, Mazda 3
Occupation
Nurse
I’m hoping they backed out of it. I’d take a 3.5 if they roll it out in the 5.0. Every 5.3 Chevy I’ve had or known has had problems from cylinder deactivation. Though my BIL’s Ram 5.7 hasn’t had any issues.

3Ranger11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ranger
Occupation
Interstate commerce transport engineer
I’m still holding out hope that its just a rumor. I remember a year ago, they were saying Ford was dropping the 5.0 for an all new 4.8 V8 that was going to make 420hp and 420lb/ft. Then a week later, the site that first reported it said that not only were they not dropping the 5.0, but the 4.8 was never even in development.

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
But , this is Ford that announced this new feature.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
But , this is Ford that announced this new feature.
As far as I know Ford has not communicated Cylinder deactivation anywhere. This is just a well known rumor all around the web.

I am skeptical because fords website or press releases do not mention this anywhere.

Sponsored

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
As far as I know Ford has not communicated Cylinder deactivation anywhere. This is just a well known rumor all around the web.

I am skeptical because fords website or press releases do not mention this anywhere.
Agree.
I read on another forum that it was put on the back-burner.

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
I hope VCT does not stand for variable cylinder technology.
2CE170A9-F68A-4FC2-AE03-1D016D1AFD1B.png
Ti-VCT. Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) is the name given by Ford to engines with the ability to advance or retard the timing of both the intake and exhaust camshafts independently, unlike the original versions of VCT, which only operated on a single camshaft.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
I hope VCT does not stand for variable cylinder technology.
2CE170A9-F68A-4FC2-AE03-1D016D1AFD1B.png

“ DescriptionVariable Camshaft Timing is an automobile variable valve timing technology developed by Ford. It allows for more optimum engine performance, reduced emissions, and increased fuel efficiency compared to engines with fixed camshafts.”

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst

They annouced it when they unveiled the truck. Take a look at TFLtruck website.
Sponsored