Sponsored

Android Auto Coolwalk out of beta today (public stable release)

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Stupid question from a new ford owner here.

When I was going through the update menu, it appeared as though you have to be connected to actual wifi??? It doesn't actually get legit OTA updates? What if you can't pick up your home's wifi?
I can't remember which thread it was, but it was actually shown that our trucks ARE NOT using Wifi to download and apply OTA updates, at least so far, despite what Ford encourages you to do. I think it was @Jesse-Infotainment who was tracking how OTAs were delivered (using PTS or FDRS) and almost none came over the Wifi connection. Sounds like our onboard cellular modem (AT&T connection, paid for by Ford at least for now) serves as the sole download mechanism for PowerUps. My truck has a strong wifi connection every single day all day long at my office and all night long in my driveway and I haven't received any more or any less OTAs than everyone else.
Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd

Nomis

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat FX4 w/ 5.0
Not a single OTA released thus far requires WiFi. The truck can do it with it's own data plan.
I don't have a data plan as far as I know. Might be cheaper to just connect to my phone for the updates as I doubt i'll use it for anything else.

I can't remember which thread it was, but it was actually shown that our trucks ARE NOT using Wifi to download and apply OTA updates, at least so far, despite what Ford encourages you to do. I think it was @Jesse-Infotainment who was tracking how OTAs were delivered (using PTS or FDRS) and almost none came over the Wifi connection. Sounds like our onboard cellular modem (AT&T connection, paid for by Ford at least for now) serves as the sole download mechanism for PowerUps. My truck has a strong wifi connection every single day all day long at my office and all night long in my driveway and I haven't received any more or any less OTAs than everyone else.
Interesting. I'll have to fiddle with it some more I haven't fully figured all that stuff out yet. I'm in Canada so it may be different too. I'll do some reading.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
I don't have a data plan as far as I know. Might be cheaper to just connect to my phone for the updates as I doubt i'll use it for anything else.

Interesting. I'll have to fiddle with it some more I haven't fully figured all that stuff out yet. I'm in Canada so it may be different too. I'll do some reading.
Your phone has nothing to do with downloading OTA updates. It does not act as an internet connection source to update your truck software. Your truck does have its own cellular data plan (antenna inside one of the black plastic bulges on the roof), invisible to you, included with the ownership, paid for by Ford, at least for now. Same in Canada. If "Auto Updates" is enable in the "Software Updates" section on your screen then you're (probably) all set. Post your VIN in this thread if you want to know what updates are available: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/request-vin-lookup-thread.13393/page-38

Yeah, you have a lot of reading to do if you're into following the OTA update and software mod process. Start with the PowerUp discussion threads and you'll learn a lot.

Sponsored

Nomis

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your phone has nothing to do with downloading OTA updates. It does not act as an internet connection source to update your truck software. Your truck does have its own cellular data plan (antenna inside one of the black plastic bulges on the roof), invisible to you, included with the ownership, paid for by Ford, at least for now. Same in Canada. If "Auto Updates" is enable in the "Software Updates" section on your screen then you're (probably) all set. Post your VIN in this thread if you want to know what updates are available: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/request-vin-lookup-thread.13393/page-38

Yeah, you have a lot of reading to do if you're into following the OTA update and software mod process. Start with the PowerUp discussion threads and you'll learn a lot.
Thanks for all the information. I didn't realize it just had its own network without paying for it. For connecting the phone I just meant mobile tethering for wifi to do the update. The salesman did activate auto updates but it was a long day and I just wanted to get out of there so I didn't ask many questions about it.

I'll check my VIN and see what it says.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
LOL! What the hell! Cool walk i just work great on my 2021.

Ford F-150 Android Auto Coolwalk out of beta today (public stable release) 20230106_171604

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
Thanks for all the information. I didn't realize it just had its own network without paying for it. For connecting the phone I just meant mobile tethering for wifi to do the update. The salesman did activate auto updates but it was a long day and I just wanted to get out of there so I didn't ask many questions about it.

I'll check my VIN and see what it says.
No worries. I came from a 2006 F-150 so I didn't know any of this either. This forum's a wealth of tech nerd information. Let the feast begin!

Jmendoza

First Name
JORGE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Lariat
Coolwalk still requires Google server side to actually push update , may happen next time u boot or days weeks. ..🤣🤷🏻‍♂️. Side loading latest app APK does nothing.

Nomis

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIght but pretty sure Jesse can also tell whether an OTA was delivered via cell or Wifi in each instance. Think the trend was overwhelmingly

No worries. I came from a 2006 F-150 so I didn't know any of this either. This forum's a wealth of tech nerd information. Let the feast begin!

Im pretty nerdy, but this is all pretty foreign to me. Trying to figure out all the terminology at the moment.

APIM

FDRS 22228

I'm totally lost at the moment haha.

My '14 GMC had a very basic setup. No OTA software updates, very basic UI.

It also never had android auto so this is the first time I've used it.

Sponsored

TJE

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150 xlt
I saw on the bronco forum that people are starting to get their full screen AA update via OTA as of this morning.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
I saw on the bronco forum that people are starting to get their full screen AA update via OTA as of this morning.
Hmmm maybe I'll resume connecting my battery charger overnight then. I suppose it makes sense for PowerUp 3.5.3 (with an obvious GUI change) to coincide with a major Android Auto refresh. Why a few hundred/thousand got PowerUp 3.5.3 months ago? Beta testing? We may never know.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Hmmm maybe I'll resume connecting my battery charger overnight then. I suppose it makes sense for PowerUp 3.5.3 (with an obvious GUI change) to coincide with a major Android Auto refresh. Why a few hundred/thousand got PowerUp 3.5.3 months ago? Beta testing? We may never know.
Somebody reported getting 3.5.4 on this forum today.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
What version of android auto is the latest one?

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd