Sponsored

What did you NOT expect, but LOVE about your '21 F-150?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
37K on mine and still love it like day one, too much to list. Surprisingly I haven't used the "auto hold" feature in a while, but I recently started using it again and I forgot how much I enjoy not having to hold the brake down the entire time while stopped.
So glad to hear you love your F-150!
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Doggone built in tailgate step with the extendo-matic handrail is very useful. Never thought it would be so!
Glad to hear that feature is working for you and your experience with the F-150. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I knew from all the reading I had done that the 5.0 in a RCSB would be "fast" but I wasn't prepared for how shockingly fast it is.
I have every option available-3 and I do love all the cool tech but I honestly wasn't expecting so much power with such quick response from a 10 speed.

Ronin1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XL STX SuperCrew 4x4 5.0 Avalanche
Gas mileage of the 5.0 and 10spd transmission combo. I just did not realize how good it would be, especially coming from a 2019 Toyota Tundra. I average around 24mpg. Couldn't be happier.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Gas mileage of the 5.0 and 10spd transmission combo. I just did not realize how good it would be, especially coming from a 2019 Toyota Tundra. I average around 24mpg. Couldn't be happier.
i get 18 to 18.3 at real highway speeds of 75 etc...not impressed with that. but everything else is SUPER DUPER
my 2021 f250 4x4 crew cab got 23 on highway and 19 around town...it was no where near as aero as the f150 . crazy

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
i get 18 to 18.3 at real highway speeds of 75 etc...not impressed with that. but everything else is SUPER DUPER
my 2021 f250 4x4 crew cab got 23 on highway and 19 around town...it was no where near as aero as the f150 . crazy
What engine do you have because if you are getting 18MPG on the highway with the 5.0, something is wrong. Mine (when stock) would do 22MPG even at 80mph.....and that was during the first 500 miles. Between 70-75mph it was closer to 23MPG.

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
My very best mpg was 25.8, done over 496 highway miles between Winchester VA and Boston last July. That blew me away. Way better than I had ever done on the same run in any other vehicle other than a CRV.

What's wowed me is just how comfortable it is. Incredible comfort for long rides. Long to me is just under 1000miles in a day. It also makes towing things easy and stress free. I've done 6000lb loads on two occasions. First time was a learning curve. Second time was easier, and honestly more fun.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
What engine do you have because if you are getting 18MPG on the highway with the 5.0, something is wrong. Mine (when stock) would do 22MPG even at 80mph.....and that was during the first 500 miles. Between 70-75mph it was closer to 23MPG.
3.5 eco boost
this pic is from my 2021 f250
next is my 2013 f150 eco boost with 3.55 gears
and my 2016 exp with 3.73 gars all 4x4
truck has great power and comfort. i was jsut surpised at mpg difference from my other eco boost powered fords

Ford F-150 What did you NOT expect, but LOVE about your '21 F-150? june 2021 fl trip (1)

Ford F-150 What did you NOT expect, but LOVE about your '21 F-150? june 2021 fl trip (2)

Ford F-150 What did you NOT expect, but LOVE about your '21 F-150? fuel and trucks (1)

Ford F-150 What did you NOT expect, but LOVE about your '21 F-150? fuel and trucks (2)

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
It's not just an old man step ;) I'm 35 and will never have a truck without one again! lol!
It is two feet from the tailgate to the ground and that is a very big step for most people regardless of age. The grab post is a great detail as well and this setup is only available from Ford.

What surprised me the most was how well the auto high-beam lights work. I live in a rural area with winding roads and when I come around a turn and there is a car coming toward me the high beams are switched in a second and when the car gets past they switch back to high beam in another second. When manufacturers stopped putting the high beam control on the floor of the vehicles it meant one needed to take one hand off the wheel and move a stalk on the steering column and this did not work nearly as well.

Sponsored

rb304

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL FX4
It is two feet from the tailgate to the ground and that is a very big step for most people regardless of age. The grab post is a great detail as well and this setup is only available from Ford.

What surprised me the most was how well the auto high-beam lights work. I live in a rural area with winding roads and when I come around a turn and there is a car coming toward me the high beams are switched in a second and when the car gets past they switch back to high beam in another second. When manufacturers stopped putting the high beam control on the floor of the vehicles it meant one needed to take one hand off the wheel and move a stalk on the steering column and this did not work nearly as well.
There are two things I don’t like about the auto high beams, and it’s the same in my wife’s Subaru also, the cameras don’t detect cross traffic and they’re quick to turn on and bright people inadvertently in hilly areas. Other than that, they’re great.

Wvmtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

There are two things I don’t like about the auto high beams, and it’s the same in my wife’s Subaru also, the cameras don’t detect cross traffic and they’re quick to turn on and bright people inadvertently in hilly areas. Other than that, they’re great.
My experience is opposite. It is difficult to engage auto high beam. Once engaged, it is quick to shutoff with signs or other vehicles, then takes forever to go back to high after passing signs/vehicles.

i even cycle the high beam stalk, and auto high will work once in a while.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
On my truck the auto high beams automatically engaged with no change from the factory settings. I seldom encounter cross traffic on open road so it might be different in town.

I have disabled the auto collision detection front and rear as on the front the truck would severely brake if a motorist in the freeway exit lane hit the brakes and one the rear the brakes would activate when I had a bike track mounted to the hitch receiver.

mrtull

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SCrew SB, FX4 with Tow
Occupation
Teacher
I went from 20 to 22, and I was not expecting as many improvements as I did:
  • Engine sounds better. Both were 3.5L ecoboost but my new one has a lower rumble to it.
  • Shifting is smoother. I'm not sure if I just ran it rough to soon but my '20 was always rough especially in mid gears.
  • Didn't know I needed Dual Climate until my wife got her Bronco... now wouldn't live without it. And so glad I didn't have to go up to Lariat to get it.
  • Bed Utility - the lights are brighter than expected and I will never go without that step!
There's more that I like but it's possible I'm still in the honeymoon phase. I have not had any issues with backup camera, high beams, etc (knock on wood) so hopefully it's smooth sailing. :sneaky:

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Okay then.
22 months and 24,000 mi
21 XLT 301 a, 4x4, 5.0, SuperCab 8’ box
Im not a techy person and have been more than content with not much higher than “base” pickup trucks.
All prior pickups sans 1 of them have been manual trans pickups
The auto trans was a 78 k10 full time 4x4,.
most recent pickups
’05 Ranger Ext Cab, v6/5spd. Bought new.
Never was very happy with this little thing. Rode too hard and not really capable. Relegated to backup vehicle after finding the 98 Chev. Sold just a week or so before getting the new one.
’98 Chev k1500 Ext Cab, 5.7/5spd, lockers front and rear.
Nice riding workaholic

This is my first auto trans truck in over 20 years, and the first with power windows ever.

Im rural and the fuel mileage for my commute averages 20+.
Flat land, lower speeds, no lights.
However, after a 3000mi trip recently, that mileage drops a lot in hilly country and cruise control set to 80+ (averaged 17.5), but this is just a heavy brick.
Ride, not as nice as the 98, but a bit firmer and more responsive.
5.0/3.31, plenty zippy about what little city traffic I encounter, but really shines in the 40 to 80 window. This happens pretty quick.
Most of the safety/assist stuff is turned of except for blis, cross traffic, and collision warning.
Comfortable ride, and do not feel achey after a long trip.
Ordered console helps keep the truck tidy

I do really dislike the late model vehicles tilt column.
Since all of my vehicles (except the 65 Ranchero) had or have tilt, I prefer the the older type tilts that actually altered the angle of the steering wheel to a more vertical position.

The only creature comforts I ordered on top of a base 301a was the console and step boards. Most of the options were underneath the truck.

Auto trans—-have no idea what to think about it due to lack of experience with them. Still get the old truck out so I keep up with 3-pedal usage.

all in all, pretty happy with this thing, but sheer length makes it difficult to park at times.
Sponsored