Illinois title and tax

mconster

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 f150,2016 fusion
Super excited to be picking my truck up at granger tomorrow! However first out of state new car purchase and would be appreciative of advice and tips to make the titling and taxes/registration easier in Illinois. Anyone who has gone through it necessary documents and info. Thanks
Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Call Granger and see how they could help you handle that. Neighboring states normally have some reciprocity agreements and procedures already in place. I live in MI and bought in IN. IN collected the sales tax and registration for IN and let MI know what was paid. I got an IN temp tag, but MI sent me real tags and issued a refund due to over payment in taxes/registration fee.

Additionally, I did this at the dealer to avoid the 6+ months wait it could have taken processing it between 2 DMVs + bank lien holder because of COVID and limited state functions at the time in early 2021.

SWFLGuy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
It’s been since the 80s when I was in Illinois as a teen and going through vehicles at a high rate.
All I can offer is tell them you only gave $100 for it, it used to work.:unsure:
Good luck

Static

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 - 2021 XL 4x4 Supercab
When I bought my truck from out of my home state the dealer sent me the paperwork and I had to go to the DMV myself and get it titled, registered and pay taxes.

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
When I bought my truck from out of my home state the dealer sent me the paperwork and I had to go to the DMV myself and get it titled, registered and pay taxes.
Yep, that’s how it works here in Ohio- not sure about Illinois.

Sponsored

bwwF150

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 BMW X7, 18 Jeep JLU, 13 QX56(23 F150 replaces)
Super excited to be picking my truck up at granger tomorrow! However first out of state new car purchase and would be appreciative of advice and tips to make the titling and taxes/registration easier in Illinois. Anyone who has gone through it necessary documents and info. Thanks
Keep me posted as I’m hoping to pick mine up from
Granger Friday or early next week. I’ll need to title, Reg, pay sales tax (and I’m trading at Granger).

Glad you are going 1st 😀

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
TIP - look to your state's DMV website and download the required forms. In Texas the title application has a space for the selling dealer (Granger's) representative's title, name, and signature - I was glad I carried that with me when I picked-up the truck, the the financial person at Granger gladly signed it, no problem.

Fortunately TX DMV has an excellent webpage detailing all the steps and forms required to title and register a new vehicle purchased out-of-state.

Your state may be different of course.

? who the heck waits until the day before pickup to get informed about their state's specific requirements for tax, title, and registration of an out-of-state new vehicle purchase ? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP

mconster

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 f150,2016 fusion
Keep me posted as I’m hoping to pick mine up from
Granger Friday or early next week. I’ll need to title, Reg, pay sales tax (and I’m trading at Granger).

Glad you are going 1st 😀
Will do

bwwF150

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

OP
OP

mconster

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 f150,2016 fusion
Have you checked out DMV website and docs needed?

https://www.ilsos.gov/departments/vehicles/title_and_registration/pert.html

Are we a passenger vs truck?
Pretty sure it a truck because of the B plates. Picked up yesterday and drive home. The folks at granger were very helpful. So there’s a document in the e-sign papers that explains the title a bit. They(granger) apply for a what I think is called a certificate of title and in a couple of weeks they receive that from
They’re DMV and overnight it to you and when you receive it that’s when you can go to the Secretary of State/DMV to pay taxes register for plates and title in Illinois. Will post with any info that might be helpful after I get-er-done 😁

bwwF150

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pretty sure it a truck because of the B plates. Picked up yesterday and drive home. The folks at granger were very helpful. So there’s a document in the e-sign papers that explains the title a bit. They(granger) apply for a what I think is called a certificate of title and in a couple of weeks they receive that from
They’re DMV and overnight it to you and when you receive it that’s when you can go to the Secretary of State/DMV to pay taxes register for plates and title in Illinois. Will post with any info that might be helpful after I get-er-done 😁
This is super helpful. Thanks! You will drive a “transit tag” until all that is complete? Thanks again.

OP
OP

mconster

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 f150,2016 fusion
This is super helpful. Thanks! You will drive a “transit tag” until all that is complete? Thanks again.
Yes even if the 15 transit tag expires they said you can drive for 30 days on it in your state but you do have to keep the sales documents in the truck.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
My truck is the second out of state purchase as far as vehicles is concerned. Both times, tax and registration were paid when I picked up the vehicle. When I bought my Mustang in Kansas, they transmitted the info to a tag agency in Oklahoma and a few weeks later I got my tag in the mail. When I bought my truck in Missouri, dealer did the same thing and my home tag agency informed me when the tag was ready for pick up. I had overpaid by $5 or so, so trust the dealers, they do this for a living and will know what needs to happen.

I would be curious how much you guys get raped in Illinois though.... :D Here in OKC, it's 4.25%.

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
My truck is the second out of state purchase as far as vehicles is concerned. Both times, tax and registration were paid when I picked up the vehicle. When I bought my Mustang in Kansas, they transmitted the info to a tag agency in Oklahoma and a few weeks later I got my tag in the mail. When I bought my truck in Missouri, dealer did the same thing and my home tag agency informed me when the tag was ready for pick up. I had overpaid by $5 or so, so trust the dealers, they do this for a living and will know what needs to happen.

I would be curious how much you guys get raped in Illinois though.... :D Here in OKC, it's 4.25%.
4.25%? Wow….6.75% here in Greene County Ohio.
Sponsored