Sponsored

texag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Silverado
I saw your post earlier, very sorry this happened to your truck, and I hope you get your replacement soon!
Yea that was in May 21. I’ve got 24k on the replacement truck and the tow mirrors I regretted not getting initially. It all worked out in the end but certainly sucked waiting on the replacement to get built.
Sponsored

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
My Ecoboost had 12,000 miles on it, idk what happened. Smoking, then pulled over, and things started blowing up. Night mare. Do not buy a new truck from Ford. The dealer Phil Long told me to get it off of thier property. Only asked me what I did to it, which I only changed the antenna.

Screenshot_20221116-231416_Photos.jpg
not trying to sound like a dick I really am not but I think any manager would want it out of there instead off risking many millions in inventory and buildings. you must have insurance. At least once per week I drive by a smudge mark from burned up cars, all do it but some more than others. I am vary glad to see you live to buy another truck. Dont let the insurance dick you around

Last edited:

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
You probably right, it probably will break down, and I have been somewhat angry about what happened. A chevy 2500 is not made of vibranium or something.
Although, I don't think anyone in my shoes would be lining up to buy another f-150. I know you guys are partial to these trucks, mine was an awesome truck with really cool features, but from my point of view the risk of having a fire in an F-150 is significantly higher than in a Chevy 2500. I will miss having my F-150, i really loved that truck.
If I do buy the Chevy, and it does have some major unexpected break down in the future, I will come back here and tell you guys about it.
you know most would not say that, good on you. You will take that fire with you forever and not in a good way.

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
My Ecoboost had 12,000 miles on it, idk what happened. Smoking, then pulled over, and things started blowing up. Night mare. Do not buy a new truck from Ford. The dealer Phil Long told me to get it off of thier property. Only asked me what I did to it, which I only changed the antenna.

Screenshot_20221116-231416_Photos.jpg
Besides yours and the other fire posted, the NHTSA site has the following fire reported.

October 20, 2022 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11490183
Components: ENGINE

NHTSA ID Number: 11490183
Incident Date September 18, 2022
Consumer Location GARLAND, TX
Vehicle Identification Number 1FTFW1RG4NF****
Summary of Complaint
CRASH No
FIRE Yes
INJURIES 0
DEATHS 0

The contact owned a 2022 Ford F-150. The contact stated while driving 65 mph, he started to smell a burning odor inside the cab. The contact stated no warning light was illuminated. The contact was able to park on the side of the road and when exiting the vehicle he saw a fire had started under the engine. The contact and his family were able to exit the vehicle safely. The contact stated no one was injured nor sought medical attention. A fire department was able to extinguish the fire. A fire report was not filed. A police report was filed. The insurance company deemed the vehicle a total loss. The vehicle was towed to towing lot. The contact called the local dealer and made them aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer had not been informed of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 1,800.

jmargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB
So how does a warranty claim work with that ? The truck has a bumper to bumper warranty and it's a good guess an item under warranty failed. Does insurance go after the manufacture ? If it hasn't already It may end up on a couple automotive sites like Jalopnik. Ford would be smart to look over the vehicle sooner than later.
Ask them to write is up as "owner noted burning smell coming from under the hood. Check and advise. Also perform multi point"

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Yes, search for: subrogation

It can take years for these cases to take their course depending on the amount of money at stake.

An under warranty, low mileage and unmodified truck might get a quick payoff from the manufacturer to the insurer if they have a good relationship.

Three trucks out of a million doesn’t exactly make a pattern but hopefully there’s someone looking into this. Unfortunately, it’s pretty hard diagnosing what went wrong when everything went up in smoke. Pretty much every high pressure direct injection vehicle is vulnerable to sudden engine fires like this when the requirements for combustion are all met and it’s not inside the cylinder :/

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired
So sorry this happened to you. Sucks. Will insurance cover the loss?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
You probably right, it probably will break down, and I have been somewhat angry about what happened. A chevy 2500 is not made of vibranium or something.
Although, I don't think anyone in my shoes would be lining up to buy another f-150. I know you guys are partial to these trucks, mine was an awesome truck with really cool features, but from my point of view the risk of having a fire in an F-150 is significantly higher than in a Chevy 2500. I will miss having my F-150, i really loved that truck.
If I do buy the Chevy, and it does have some major unexpected break down in the future, I will come back here and tell you guys about it.
Personally based on statistics alone I'd get another F150. The odds of you having 2 of them burn down is slimmer than having that used cheapie er, chevy do the same. I owned a 2022 GM and I let it go in less than 2 months. Can't really speak to their quality pre taxpayer bailout, but that's one company that should have went to liquidation because there's no such thing as too big to fail. I was rather unimpressed w/ the shortcomings and lack of quality on the little things. Various panels and final trim / installation was horse poo to put it nicely. Carvana gave me more than I paid for it so it worked out in the end.

Turbo vehicles in general have far more heat and thus ignition sources under the hood -- especially highway towing that brick wall you had behind you. Weight isn't even an issue at that point, it's all aero drag. Twin turbos are large hot plates waiting to flash any combustible liquid that hits them. Unfortunately the computer sits right over one of them so it was likely toast before the trucks were rolling towards you w/ no chance of pulling data from it. Any indication to what it was that sparked the blaze? The post-fire battery incident was likely the result of the fire guys failing to cut the negative cable which is typically SOP (could have been the aux battery if they aren't current on their training). Figured you'd at least get a whiff of something, each of the combustible fluids have a unique smell when they burn.

No indicators / smells, or was it just suddenly a massive fireball?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Sold by at least one sponsored vendor of the forum. I have one in the underseat storage. But honestly I don't know if it would have saved a truck in an immediate engulfed fire like that described.

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 EcoBoost burned down while driving it Screenshot_20221120_175016

Ford F-150 My 2021 F150 EcoBoost burned down while driving it Screenshot_20221120_175131

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I'm looking online right now!:oops:
Yes -- EVERYONE should have extinguishers in all vehicles, trailers, homes (kitchens and garages) etc...
AND keep them accessible (ie: don't hide them under trunk tire covers where luggage or other items could keep it buried and the first instinct should be to grab it when you smell something burning).

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150
Occupation
Cooking burgers and hotdogs is not BBQing, it's grilling! Thx, All of Texas!
No indicators / smells, or was it just suddenly a massive fireball?
My 2022 is a September build and I have just over 900 miles on it now. I've been following the break in process like usual (maybe a couple of 3K+ RPM ramp ups), anyway..... I notice a "something is hot smell" when I test drove it with 4 miles on it. Not like a new engine, metallic, brakes, residual oil, solvent, exhaust, lubrication odor, more like plastic or even wire maybe. Obviously I don't see smoke or flames like the OP, but it's definitely odd smelling. I looked around, this and that, took temps with an IR thermometer, nothing out of the ordinary that I could find, no nests or dead cats anywhere..... I'm not smelling it as much lately, maybe it burned off, but it was concerning....

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Geez....my heart goes out to ya brother. I would be devastated too but I also agree with the one poster not to rush into any financial decisions yet as you're still reeling in from the shock which most humans will naturally do.

OldmanFord

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 XLT Chrome Series
Occupation
EMT
Back in the 80’s in Louisiana, a handful of ford police cars were catching fire. The end result was that at the factory they over filled the tranny fluid. When it got hot it sprayed on the exhaust and caused the engine fire. Not related to new trucks like ours.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I saved my truck and have saved two cars from electrical fires getting out of hand and all it took was a 5" adjustable spanner wrench to disconnect the positive lead from the battery. Installing a manual cut-out switch on the positive lead of the battery would be a good idea and they cost less than $20 and take minutes to install.

I have only used a fire extinguisher one time and that was for an alcohol fire in a boat. With a boat one cannot step out and watch it burn so being prepared is critical. I had a heat activated halon fire extinguisher installed in the engine compartment of my boat.

When a vehicle catches fire all the fire department truck can do is pump water and flood the vehicle and that is only partically effective as tires will continue to burn. Where I live half there is a major freeway and half the calls for the fire station involve vehicle fires.

The worst vehicles for fires are the ones that are not dual-fuel and where the owner puts ethanol mix in the gas tank. This is known to damage fuel lines and special materials need to be used for cars and boat engines. Diesel is far safer as it does not generate the fumes of gasoline and it is the gasoline vapors that are combustible.

In terms of the numbers, the NFPA report for 2018 states that there were 212,500 vehicle fires that year. The leading causes were mechanical failures or malfunctions and elecctrical failures and malfunctions. Older vehicles accounted for three-quarters of the fires. Tires play a larger role in large truck and bus fires than in car fires. These numbers are based on US fire department reports after responding to a vehicle fire.

The good news is that newer vehicles are safer and there were 60% fewer vehicle fires in 2018 than in 1980. And this is despite the number of miles driven having more than doubled in that same time period.

When it comes to fires that are the result of collisions or overturns or overturns the data shows that a very hire percentage of the drivers were in the 15 to 34 year age group and 80% were male. Most of these fires occured from 3 pm to 5 pm. Young guys rushing to get some place were the most likely to be in an accident which is hardly surprising when one has observed them in a mindless frenzy rushing down the highway.
Sponsored