Sponsored

Bed Liner Options

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
In anticipation of my truck being built this week, it appears there can be quite significant delays on accessories so I'm looking to get moving on ordering some stuff. One of the options I didn't choose was any liner for my truck. I did this to ensure I had my payload goal, but also I just didn't know which route to go. Looking for some insights into the options for truck bed liners, pros and cons:

1. Line X/Rhino Liner type stuff: I personally don't like this because they scratch everything. The main thing I store in my bed will be my golf clubs and moving them in and out they will just get beat up, let alone anything else that goes in the bed. But I'm curious, should this still be considered an option if doing the other liner styles for long term protection?
  2. Rubberized bed mat: What I'm concerned about here is that they don't protect the side walls if you've moving stuff in and out, using a shovel, etc. For people that use these, do you also have the spray in liner?
  3. Plastic drop in: My last truck was a tacoma that had this option, and I generally liked it, things slide in and out easy, it's easy to clean, etc But it seems like many people don't recommend this, I'm curious why?
  4. Carpet system: These look pretty good, they protect the whole bed, but I've never seen/used them. For those that have them, when you need to haul dirt/rock that kind of stuff, does it perform fine with a shovel/broom beating into them? Again, is the bed underneath protected long term with this option or do people do the spray in liner as well?

So I guess I'm looking for what people like and why they chose that route. What is best for long term truck protection, what is best for protecting cargo, etc. Once I narrow down to what route I want to go, I'll have to research the best option in that group.
Sponsored

jwhracer

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT FX4
In anticipation of my truck being built this week, it appears there can be quite significant delays on accessories so I'm looking to get moving on ordering some stuff. One of the options I didn't choose was any liner for my truck. I did this to ensure I had my payload goal, but also I just didn't know which route to go. Looking for some insights into the options for truck bed liners, pros and cons:

1. Line X/Rhino Liner type stuff: I personally don't like this because they scratch everything. The main thing I store in my bed will be my golf clubs and moving them in and out they will just get beat up, let alone anything else that goes in the bed. But I'm curious, should this still be considered an option if doing the other liner styles for long term protection?
  2. Rubberized bed mat: What I'm concerned about here is that they don't protect the side walls if you've moving stuff in and out, using a shovel, etc. For people that use these, do you also have the spray in liner?
  3. Plastic drop in: My last truck was a tacoma that had this option, and I generally liked it, things slide in and out easy, it's easy to clean, etc But it seems like many people don't recommend this, I'm curious why?
  4. Carpet system: These look pretty good, they protect the whole bed, but I've never seen/used them. For those that have them, when you need to haul dirt/rock that kind of stuff, does it perform fine with a shovel/broom beating into them? Again, is the bed underneath protected long term with this option or do people do the spray in liner as well?

So I guess I'm looking for what people like and why they chose that route. What is best for long term truck protection, what is best for protecting cargo, etc. Once I narrow down to what route I want to go, I'll have to research the best option in that group.
Just picked up my 2021 XLT FX4 Lead Foot and decided to go with the drop in liner, the price is right and couldn't see paying double on the spray in liner for myself, I know it looks good but I always have stuff in the back so it didn't matter to me. Might go with a bed cover soon. Pendaliner has them with all the cut outs for the 2021.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I have a DualLiner in my 2021 which was a carryover from my ‘18 and ‘16. It’s a 5 piece system that installs quickly. The mat is heavy duty rubber that keeps things from sliding around.

https://www.dualliner.com/

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
I went for spray-in bedliner - although the bed is aluminum and wouldn't rust, I would hate to look at a scratched up bed over time and use *but* I teamed that with a BedRug Bedmat - cheapish and takes seconds to remove if I want to transport something messy, but there to protect my knees or MTB frame etc.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance

1. Plastic drop in: My last truck was a tacoma that had this option, and I generally liked it, things slide in and out easy, it's easy to clean, etc But it seems like many people don't recommend this, I'm curious why?

I got the drop in mostly for dent protection.
That and things will slide out easier
Had one in my Ranger and after 15 years, only a couple of small places where the paint was rubbed thru.
I live in south Texas, so snow/ice/salt is really not an issue.
I think the spray in and the drop in weigh about the same.
If I lived in a populated area where they use corrosive methods to melt snow and ice from the roads, I would probably opt for the spray in.
Hell, even where I grew up, rust wasn't an issue (Mountains of Eastern Idaho)
The thought process back then while growing up: "It will melt in June--no need to plow"

Sponsored

MN_Hockey_Fan

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09/14/21 F150, 10 Expedition
My first 2009 F150 had a line-x spray in. I planned for that after purchase. Typically hauled a few loads of mulch and dirt a year and never had any trouble with it other than it being hard on items in the bed. Items in the bed also still tended to slide around.

My current 2014 F150 had the drop in installed when I purchased it. Mulch and dirt manage to get underneath it every time I use it. So am constantly flushing it out with the hose after those uses. The bed itself is not exactly in pristine condition underneath. You can't haul anything in the bed and expect it to stay put, tap the breaks hard and it will sound like it is coming into the cab. This problem was solved with a bedrug carpet mat. Nothing slides on it. It is very easy to hose off and clean, though I do remove it when hauling dirt and mulch. It would handle a fair amount of abuse from a shovel, but you could damage it.

I ended up getting a 2020 Colorado for my son and just went with the bedrug on the bed and tailgate. He hasn't managed to scrape anything up yet and will likely never actually haul a load of anything that could damage the sides of the bed.

I have a 2021 F150 on order and will be getting the factory spray on bedliner and then ordering a new bedrug for it as well (or possibly even just using the one from the 14).

OP
OP

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
My first 2009 F150 had a line-x spray in. I planned for that after purchase. Typically hauled a few loads of mulch and dirt a year and never had any trouble with it other than it being hard on items in the bed. Items in the bed also still tended to slide around.

My current 2014 F150 had the drop in installed when I purchased it. Mulch and dirt manage to get underneath it every time I use it. So am constantly flushing it out with the hose after those uses. The bed itself is not exactly in pristine condition underneath. You can't haul anything in the bed and expect it to stay put, tap the breaks hard and it will sound like it is coming into the cab. This problem was solved with a bedrug carpet mat. Nothing slides on it. It is very easy to hose off and clean, though I do remove it when hauling dirt and mulch. It would handle a fair amount of abuse from a shovel, but you could damage it.

I ended up getting a 2020 Colorado for my son and just went with the bedrug on the bed and tailgate. He hasn't managed to scrape anything up yet and will likely never actually haul a load of anything that could damage the sides of the bed.

I have a 2021 F150 on order and will be getting the factory spray on bedliner and then ordering a new bedrug for it as well (or possibly even just using the one from the 14).
Are you saying you've done a bed carpet on top of a plastic liner? (when doing dirty work?) So far some combo option maybe seems best: spray liner with a carpet/rubber mat to protect when I need it to be soft, and when hauling dirty stuff, pull it out and have the nice spray liner protection....

OP
OP

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I went for spray-in bedliner - although the bed is aluminum and wouldn't rust, I would hate to look at a scratched up bed over time and use *but* I teamed that with a BedRug Bedmat - cheapish and takes seconds to remove if I want to transport something messy, but there to protect my knees or MTB frame etc.
Do you know how much the rug weights? Did you get it all the way up the sides? Or just for the flat portion of the bed? I am concerned about weight, so doing a liner and something softer, I would want the something softer as light as possible....

OP
OP

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have a DualLiner in my 2021 which was a carryover from my ‘18 and ‘16. It’s a 5 piece system that installs quickly. The mat is heavy duty rubber that keeps things from sliding around.

https://www.dualliner.com/
I have yet to come across this, thanks. This kind of looks like the best of both worlds. So this is essentially plastic around the sides and a rubber mat for the floor? How does the rubber mat hold up to dirty work (rock/gravel/dirt) using shovels and brooms and such? Do the plastic sides "seal" to the rubber bottom or is water/dirt,etc allowed to travel down through it to the bed itself?

Also they don't support pro power yet, will need to see when they have that option available....

Last edited:

Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I have yet to come across this, thanks. This kind of looks like the best of both worlds. So this is essentially plastic around the sides and a rubber mat for the floor? How does the rubber mat hold up to dirty work (rock/gravel/dirt) using shovels and brooms and such? Do the plastic sides "seal" to the rubber bottom or is water/dirt,etc allowed to travel down through it to the bed itself?

Also they don't support pro power yet, will need to see when they have that option available....
Exactly as you said, the sides and tailgate are tough, high impact plastic and the floor is a rubber mat.

The mat fits in a channel/groove at the bottom of each of the side panels so it’s difficult for dirt and other material to get underneath the mat.

The mat itself is thick, very durable and non-skid. It has small nubs on the bottom to keep it raised off the bottom of the bed for drainage. It brooms easily and holds up to shovels and other tools well. Mine is now 5 years old and is no worse for the wear with moderate abuse. It still looks fantastic.

The only thing I had to do when installing it on my 2021 was, you guessed it, cutting a window for the power receptacle panel in the back. Pretty easy work with a Dremel and file.

MN_Hockey_Fan

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09/14/21 F150, 10 Expedition
Are you saying you've done a bed carpet on top of a plastic liner? (when doing dirty work?) So far some combo option maybe seems best: spray liner with a carpet/rubber mat to protect when I need it to be soft, and when hauling dirty stuff, pull it out and have the nice spray liner protection....
Yes, bedrug has a version to sit on top of a plastic liner. I have always removed when doing dirty work.

OP
OP

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Exactly as you said, the sides and tailgate are tough, high impact plastic and the floor is a rubber mat.

The mat fits in a channel/groove at the bottom of each of the side panels so it’s difficult for dirt and other material to get underneath the mat.

The mat itself is thick, very durable and non-skid. It has small nubs on the bottom to keep it raised off the bottom of the bed for drainage. It brooms easily and holds up to shovels and other tools well. Mine is now 5 years old and is no worse for the wear with moderate abuse. It still looks fantastic.

The only thing I had to do when installing it on my 2021 was, you guessed it, cutting a window for the power receptacle panel in the back. Pretty easy work with a Dremel and file.
Do you know how much the whole system weights? I'm kind of leaning towards this options as it provides sidewall protection, cargo protection and I could do a sprayliner on the floor if I plan on doing "real" dirty work and don't want to damage the rubber liner.

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
I’m getting Line-X premium spray in and then a Black Armor rubber mat. Mat already ordered and delivered.

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
Do you know how much the rug weights? Did you get it all the way up the sides? Or just for the flat portion of the bed? I am concerned about weight, so doing a liner and something softer, I would want the something softer as light as possible....
I just have the mat for the flat portion of the bed - the sides wouldn't serve any purpose since I have the spray-in liner. This is just to provide protection for delicate cargo - and my knees!

Weighs very little - its some sort of foam with polypro tufted material bonded to it - according to Amazon it weighs 8lbs but that may include packaging, it's really light.
Sponsored