proximity sensors on front bumper?

2dogcamper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport FX4
I have seen Proximity sensors on the front bumper in many of the Ford photos and videos but I have seen nothing in the ordering guide referring to front parking sensors. Has anyone heard anything about front parking sensors?
Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I beleive they do in the online brochure. It is just somewhat confussing with what they are calling it.

Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), Pedestrian Detection and Forward Collision Warning with Dynamic Brake Support (std.on all F‑150 models)

Can't see it not working as my wife's Lexus, has the sensors for auto stop and beeps as you get closer.

Ah, I see Granger beat my post with an even better answer.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I beleive they do in the online brochure. It is just somewhat confussing with what they are calling it.

Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB), Pedestrian Detection and Forward Collision Warning with Dynamic Brake Support (std.on all F‑150 models)

Can't see it not working as my wife's Lexus, has the sensors for auto stop and beeps as you get closer.
Ah
Ford Co-Pilot 350 is where you get the front sensors...

1601040478941.png
Is the Co-Pilot 350 part of the 360 birds eye view system? I need to check my order

Just looked and it's standard on the KR, so I'm good. Love that feature

Sponsored

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
Ford Co-Pilot360™ 2.0

Included
Standard on XLT, LARIAT, King Ranch®, Platinum and Limited.
Available on XL High.

• Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) Features: Pedestrian Detection; Forward Collision Warning; Dynamic Brake Support
• BLIS® with Cross-Traffic Alert
• Lane-Keeping System Features: Lane-Keeping Alert; Lane-Keeping Aid; Driver Alert
• Rear View Camera
• Auto High Beams
• Reverse Sensing System
• Reverse Brake Assist
• Post-Collision Braking

Note: Rear-Window, Fixed Privacy Glass with Defroster is required when Ford Co-Pilot360™ 2.0 is ordered;
Requires Drive's Side Manual-folding, Power Glass Sideview Mirrors with Heat, Turn Signal.

Last edited:

Pipe

First Name
Jj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Explorer
Ford Co-Pilot 350 is where you get the front sensors...

1601040478941.png
Is this actually from the F150 documentation? Otherwise it seems like a general CoPilot360 Tech blurb, but doesn't confirm anything on the 2021 F150. The 2020 had CoPilot360 but i don't think any of the trim levels or options had front bumper sensors.

If you look at the Availability by Vehicle chart here https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/ it clearly says "Forward/Reverse Sensing System" is available for 3 vehicles including the Ranger, but no mention of the others. Would be surprising if it wasn't a standard or XLT+ standard feature on the 2021 F150, but i have been pictures of even Lariats that don't appear to have the bumper sensors.

Pipe

First Name
Jj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Explorer

From what i understand the Pre-Collision Assist uses a camera in the windshield, not the proximity sensors as these wouldn't have much range? Unless it now uses and includes both?

Edit: I did look through several more pics online, seems MOST pics show the front sensors, and perhaps the ones that don't are just some of the renders (including the pics on the early build tool, which only shows them on Platinum and Limited).

Edit#2: Now I'm not so sure again, not seeing the sensors on this real-life Lariat: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/official-space-white-f-150-2021-photos-thread.321/

Last edited:

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
From what i understand the Pre-Collision Assist uses a camera in the windshield, not the proximity sensors as these wouldn't have much range? Unless it now uses and includes both?

Edit: I did look through several more pics online, seems MOST pics show the front sensors, and perhaps the ones that don't are just some of the renders (including the pics on the early build tool, which only shows them on Platinum and Limited).

Edit#2: Now I'm not so sure again, not seeing the sensors on this real-life Lariat: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/official-space-white-f-150-2021-photos-thread.321/
Every KR I've seen photos of have them.

Pipe

First Name
Jj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Explorer

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I wonder if its part of the Ford adaptive cruise control?
I've had adaptive cruise on my last 3 trucks, none had the small sensors in the the front bumper. It uses the camera above the rearview mirror.

Pipe

First Name
Jj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Explorer
Last edited:

Pipe

First Name
Jj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Explorer
Noticing something from the new dealer vids/pics showing up online recently. It's starting to look like the front bumper proximity sensors are only on XLT/Lariat/KR with BOTH CoPilot Assist AND 360 cam package.

So you might need to have the cameras before you can have front bumper sensors? How would that ever make sense? To me I don't NEED both, but really would want at least one or the other.
Sponsored