Sponsored

Dmusick757

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 powerboost xl
So as the title suggests I have a 21 powerboost, and no dog bone ( My fault). After a loud explosion thanks to the At&t fiber installers the power is out. The power company has pushed back the estimated power restore time from 12pm to 2:30 to 5:30 to 9:30 to 1030pm to ummm we are working on it. I decided to use my damn truck so I grabbed cords and started plugging shit in. Here's what I have plugged and I will show y'all what it's pulling.

Phone charger
Oscillating fan
Laptop
2-side by side fridges
1- deep freezer
1 lamp
1 jump box charger ( that we drained )

This is off 3 extension cords and one powerstrip.
I am so glad I bought this truck.

Ford F-150 Real world power outage dealt with using Powerboost ProPower 7.2kw with dropcords Screenshot_20220915-225507_FordPass
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketFistMooga

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Sport Powerboost.
So as the title suggests I have a 21 powerboost, and no dog bone ( My fault). After a loud explosion thanks to the At&t fiber installers the power is out. The power company has pushed back the estimated power restore time from 12pm to 2:30 to 5:30 to 9:30 to 1030pm to ummm we are working on it. I decided to use my damn truck so I grabbed cords and started plugging shit in. Here's what I have plugged and I will show y'all what it's pulling.

Phone charger
Oscillating fan
Laptop
2-side by side fridges
1- deep freezer
1 lamp

Screenshot_20220915-225507_FordPass.jpg
What do you mean by "dog bone". And what would that do for you?

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
I had originally ordered my PB with the default 2.4Kw option, but after being without power for a day in an ice storm, contacted the dealer and upgraded the PPO to 7.2kw before the order progressed beyond the point of no return. Have not used it yet but nice to know it is there.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I have used mine to power our house on two occasions with power outages, one that lasted 40 hours. Was great to keep the furnace running in the winter!

OP
OP
Dmusick757

Dmusick757

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 powerboost xl
I had originally ordered my PB with the default 2.4Kw option, but after being without power for a day in an ice storm, contacted the dealer and upgraded the PPO to 7.2kw before the order progressed beyond the point of no return. Have not used it yet but nice to know it is there.
It was the first time for power outage problems.

Sponsored

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
I did it also with several extension cord and since then I did get a transfer switch installed to connect my truck. Of course this is more expensive but it's so nice. The other Sunday my kids and their kids came for breakfast and we ran out of power.... My son look at me and said it would be nice to have a coffee. So I walked to the garage connect to the L14-30 then to the truck, put the truck in generator mode and flip the breakers and within 5 minutes the coffee machine was up and running. :) . Power came back 30 minutes after but it is so easy now!!!!

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
I got this power ext cord so I can just have one cord into my garage and then run 4 other ext cords into my house. This one is flat so it goes under the garage door when its closed and the truck is outside. Also I like it because it runs on the 30 amp circuit so both A and B circuit are used for the full 7.2k.
Ford F-150 Real world power outage dealt with using Powerboost ProPower 7.2kw with dropcords 1663364250142

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
What do you mean by "dog bone". And what would that do for you?
A "dogbone" adapter for the F-150 Propower would have an L14-30 P on one end (fits the 240v 30amp outlet), then another type of receptacle on the opposite end. In my case, that is a 3 blade 30 amp RV outlet (I forget the NEMA designation). With this I can power my RV directly from the truck (no extension cords). It only uses bank B of the Propower, so I still have bank A at the ready (I can charge my wife's Escape PHEV).

For supporting my house in a power failure, I have the L14-30 extension cable going to a receptacle that is wired via manual transfer switch. This taps all available power from the truck, and it is the SAFEST way to go.

BTW that cable posted by Cobraman428 is waay cool - super easy to lay out in an emergency, then stash away when the party is over...

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
I got this power ext cord so I can just have one cord into my garage and then run 4 other ext cords into my house. This one is flat so it goes under the garage door when its closed and the truck is outside. Also I like it because it runs on the 30 amp circuit so both A and B circuit are used for the full 7.2k.
1663364250142.png
I have a similar cable I picked up for the same reason. Haven't had to use it yet but it'll be a little more convenient running this into the garage then branching from there compared to running 2-4 extension cords out to the truck. I leave it under the rear seat in the off chance I need it away from home.

Still debating installing a permanent solution like a transfer switch, but the truck has saved the day at least 3 times since I bought it in April.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
1663364250142.png
As a Star Wars fan I will only buy power cords from Yodatek. :cool:

Sponsored

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired

Phone charger
Oscillating fan
Laptop
2-side by side fridges
1- deep freezer
1 lamp

Screenshot_20220915-225507_FordPass.jpg
I did the same thing last spring when we got a late snow storm that knocked out our power for 3 days. Worked great. Had all the normal things running except our gas furnace. I used a portable electric heater to keep the house comfortable. I doubt I'll ever do any more than extension cords since our power is very dependable. That was the first power outage that lasted more than a couple hours since I got here in 1992.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
3 days after hurricane Ida. 3/4 tank of gas used.

OP
OP
Dmusick757

Dmusick757

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 powerboost xl
1663364250142.png
Thats is awesome I need one

OP
OP
Dmusick757

Dmusick757

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 powerboost xl
I did it also with several extension cord and since then I did get a transfer switch installed to connect my truck. Of course this is more expensive but it's so nice. The other Sunday my kids and their kids came for breakfast and we ran out of power.... My son look at me and said it would be nice to have a coffee. So I walked to the garage connect to the L14-30 then to the truck, put the truck in generator mode and flip the breakers and within 5 minutes the coffee machine was up and running. :) . Power came back 30 minutes after but it is so easy now!!!!
How much did the transfer switch install run you? And how did they overcome the neutral issue I see everyone talking about

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
How much did the transfer switch install run you? And how did they overcome the neutral issue I see everyone talking about
A number of years ago I paid about $1600 for a full install. It actually was pretty extensive work and took most of the day. It even started with 2 guys working for about 1/2 the time. He also made me a thick gauge 50' 30 amp cord for the generator to the transfer switch plug in.

I have not used it yet for the truck as I do not have it yet. I hope it goes well when I try it and do not have to call an electrician back to change something.
Sponsored