First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Flight Instructor
So like many people, my new 2021 developed a severe leak from the sunroof. I never left it open but it would regularly leak all over my seat and floor mat. The microphone on the roof essentially became a funnel for all the water build-up. I read multiple forums and everyone suggested cleaning the drain, well I ran a weedwhacker cord through almost the whole thing but still, no water would drain. After trying compressed air and a few more weedwhacker cord attempts I decided to tear it apart. I kind of went overboard and took too much apart but I did find an issue with the drain tube. Near the exit point, the drain tube was pinched behind another part, it was difficult to see what exactly was compressing it but once I gave it a few tugs it freed up and a rush of water ran through the drain. Hopefully, this will be the end of the flooded interior!

This is what my microphone looked like after any decent amount of rainfall

Ford F-150 Leaking Sunroof Fix DIY tempImagezW7k8f

The exit drain is accessible behind this vent. I attempted compressed air, a vacuum, and the cord but nothing would get through. The block seemed to be about 6 inches back from here.

Ford F-150 Leaking Sunroof Fix DIY tempImageyJ9F99

Ford F-150 Leaking Sunroof Fix DIY IMG_0115

The drain tube comes down the pillar and goes down through the dash as shown, it isn't really necessary to take this part off but it helps get an idea of the routing.

Ford F-150 Leaking Sunroof Fix DIY IMG_0116

This image is sideways but the floor is on the right side of the image, and the steering column is at the top. But I had to remove these two bolts so this black electrical box could hang down and I could reach up towards the drain. Otherwise, it was impossible to get an arm in there.

Ford F-150 Leaking Sunroof Fix DIY tempImageSLDuNx
Ford F-150 Leaking Sunroof Fix DIY tempImagexEBSf6

The drain comes down behind that white foam block, once I found it with my fingers I just traced it down until I felt a spot that was very snug, and after some tugs, it popped out of its pinched spot and everything started draining properly. So if anyone else is having flooding issues but there isn't a blockage, this may be what's wrong with yours as well. Hope this helps someone.

Ford F-150 Leaking Sunroof Fix DIY tempImageYMg7xK
Sponsored

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you for taking the time to put this together. Being a fellow sunroof owner, it may come in handy someday. Knock on wood that I’ve had no issues in over 18000 miles, but one never knows when that could change.

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
So unacceptable for Ford to be having these issues. I really wanted the pano but reading all the issues made me take it off my order. I definitely dont regret it.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Dealer going to replace the headliner or anything for you? Should be warrantied.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mach-E
I hate unnecessary holes in the roof. Nothing but trouble. I leave my sunshade closed and try to make believe I don't have one. I know eventually it will be a problem.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Ah, reason 462,381 why I won't ever own another car/truck with a sunroof....

Nice find though.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
Bravo, OP Cody! Doing Ford's quality work for them, since they won't.

Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
OP
OP
Cody

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Thank you for taking the time to put this together. Being a fellow sunroof owner, it may come in handy someday. Knock on wood that I’ve had no issues in over 18000 miles, but one never knows when that could change.
I have never made one of these before but figured since I hadn’t found any other write ups that I should take the time and possibly help someone else out. Hopefully yours holds strong and there’s no issues!

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
my 2010 drain was pinched in the A pillar, some assembly person pinched it
wife found out as we came down in elevation and the ice and snow melted on the roof and drained on her...brsssssrrrrr cold

great that you found the source GOLD START (y) (y) (y) (y)

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
I think I will proactively send a weed wacker line through mine once the truck gets delivered. Thanks for the write up.