Sponsored

Modifying Power running boards for 2021 2022 Platinum F150

MikeA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 150 Antimatter Platinum FX4
So I have problem with the deployed height on the new F150 Platinum. They deploy nearly level with the bottom of the Cab. My AMP Research boards on my Lariat deploy nearly 7 inches lower. So much easier for entry and exit
I've ordered a New Platinum without first thinking this thru. I hate to remove the factory setup and install the amp boards and then have to worry about selling the OEM power boards SOOOO ! Is anyone aware of a mod for the factory boards ? Longer folding brackets ? I looked pretty close and it does not look like there is any compatibility between the Ford and the amp boards in so far as using the AMP folding brackets with the rest of the Ford hardware ! I know the Amp boards work Great "Better than the Ford boards" But then comes the "What to do with the Way too expensive Brand New take offs
Thanks for any input that you might have.
MikeA
Sponsored

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Nothing to add other than I miss the power boards on my 2015. They did fold out much lower than my 2022. I have gotten used to the 2022 boards, but yeah the 2015 were nicer.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
If you can take a pic of the boards extended. I have them coming on my Lariat (hopefully before Halloween) and from the limited pics I saw they were much lower than regular steps.

OP
OP

MikeA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Kodiak I cant take a pic right now. Dont have the Truck. I just ordered the 23 platinum a week ago so its not here But any 22s I see on the lot all deploy way high "about 2 in below the threshold.
My amp boards that I put on my 22 Lariat are about 7 or 8 in lower

‘22Powerboost

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost, Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher
Nothing to add other than I miss the power boards on my 2015. They did fold out much lower than my 2022. I have gotten used to the 2022 boards, but yeah the 2015 were nicer.
Yup, when I picked up my ‘22 Platinum back in late June…I too noticed immediately how much higher the 22’s powerboards were when deployed. However, I too have quickly gotten used to them, and I do have to say that the new poweboards on the 21’s and 22’s, are much nicer looking and are thicker/heftier in their girth and thickness..a much more premium and quality looking set up In my opinion than in the previous generation(my ‘19 KR).

So for me I am happier with them overall, even though they deploy much higher than before.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MikeA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yup, when I picked up my ‘22 Platinum back in late June…I too noticed immediately how much higher the 22’s powerboards were when deployed. However, I too have quickly gotten used to them, and I do have to say that the new poweboards on the 21’s and 22’s, are much nicer looking and are thicker/heftier in their girth and thickness..a much more premium and quality looking set up In my opinion than in the previous generation(my ‘19 KR).

So for me I am happier with them overall, even though they deploy much higher than before.
Glad they are working for you But Im pretty sure Im pulling mine off. Aint as young as I used to be and I plan this to be my last Truck so it needs to be easy entry going forward :)

OP
OP

MikeA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Glad they are working for you But Im pretty sure Im pulling mine off. Aint as young as I used to be and I plan this to be my last Truck so it needs to be easy entry going forward :)
I taking the Amp boards off of this 22 Lariat next week and then selling that truck while the price is high.

‘22Powerboost

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost, Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher
Oh I completely understand you’re situation. All the best with the ‘23👍👍.

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
I too prefer boards that extend lower. I have to duck down more on entry, and I tend to slide out instead of stepping out of the truck. I got used to the power deployable boards on my Ram Limited. They look and operate very much like the Amp boards. When retracted they tuck up tighter against the bottom of the cab as well.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 f-150 powerboost, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
There are a couple (actually many) of Drivers Seat Module (DSM) config values that control every aspect of the Power Running Boards, and could be changed via Forscan. Values 744-31-01 to 744-40-04. But to my knowledge noone has yet tried them. They mention things like stow or deploy "threshold", "limit", "distance". However, these may just be about how quickly they move or detect obstructions.

The two main advantages of these PRBs compared to AMPs or earlier model F-150s (which I believe were made by AMP whereas these are made by Magma) are that they extend from wheel to wheel so that you can get in the cab or clean the rear window, and that they have the kick-switch.

The problem with selling as take-offs is that it's pretty difficult for people to retrofit these, they need to add quite a few new wires between the boards, the seats and also a few connectors to the DSM. And probably need a new DSM as some (many?) of the variants don't have the chips for the PRBs even though they have the pins.

Sponsored

Stap9716

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 liconic silver lariat sport 5.0 157 wheelbase
So I have problem with the deployed height on the new F150 Platinum. They deploy nearly level with the bottom of the Cab. My AMP Research boards on my Lariat deploy nearly 7 inches lower. So much easier for entry and exit
I've ordered a New Platinum without first thinking this thru. I hate to remove the factory setup and install the amp boards and then have to worry about selling the OEM power boards SOOOO ! Is anyone aware of a mod for the factory boards ? Longer folding brackets ? I looked pretty close and it does not look like there is any compatibility between the Ford and the amp boards in so far as using the AMP folding brackets with the rest of the Ford hardware ! I know the Amp boards work Great "Better than the Ford boards" But then comes the "What to do with the Way too expensive Brand New take offs
Thanks for any input that you might have.
MikeA
I am going through the exact same thing,they are useless and noisy!
Had a 2011 Platinum they were great and I orderd this truck with them
and that was a waist,,ordering some AMP steps now

Also let down by the soft seats (Lariat sport 502A) my 2011 with 150k seats feel more supportive

OP
OP

MikeA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are a couple (actually many) of Drivers Seat Module (DSM) config values that control every aspect of the Power Running Boards, and could be changed via Forscan. Values 744-31-01 to 744-40-04. But to my knowledge noone has yet tried them. They mention things like stow or deploy "threshold", "limit", "distance". However, these may just be about how quickly they move or detect obstructions.

The two main advantages of these PRBs compared to AMPs or earlier model F-150s (which I believe were made by AMP whereas these are made by Magma) are that they extend from wheel to wheel so that you can get in the cab or clean the rear window, and that they have the kick-switch.

The problem with selling as take-offs is that it's pretty difficult for people to retrofit these, they need to add quite a few new wires between the boards, the seats and also a few connectors to the DSM. And probably need a new DSM as some (many?) of the variants don't have the chips for the PRBs even though they have the pins.
Yep. You are right. Its quite the task to put the Platinum boards on something else So When they come off for the Amp Boards to be installed I,ll likely just store them in the basement and let them go with the truck when I,m too old to drive it any more

BTW I bookmarked a link this morning where a guy gives all of those DSM config valuse. He laid out the entire instillation But Still a lot of work. I might even Back out of the Platty deal once the 90 days expires I can get the deposit back. Then I could just go for another Latiat with the options I want.
Only drawback was I wanted the Carmello interior and If Iwent Lariat Id have to go with Baha Tan which they also put on the door panels and the lower dash, which I didnt want.
Other reasons for switching were to get Black headliner and posts, 360 cameras and the Pro 2.0 power haha And I wanted the Connected Nav to be "Built In" Yeah I really blew it on my last order. Shoulda just stepped up.

OP
OP

MikeA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am going through the exact same thing,they are useless and noisy!
Had a 2011 Platinum they were great and I orderd this truck with them
and that was a waist,,ordering some AMP steps now

Also let down by the soft seats (Lariat sport 502A) my 2011 with 150k seats feel more supportive
Yep....I didnt like the seats in my 2015 xltor the 2016 xlt. They were a little better in the 2018 Latiat but not great.

Tobstertx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Yes! I thought I was one of the few who liked them extending lower. It’s the main reason I removed my Pro Amp from my 2020 and had them installed on my 2022.

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
Move over, I'm in the same boat with you 😊
Sponsored