Sponsored

Where is the Power Running Boards module?

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 f-150 powerboost, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
Anyone know where this module is located exactly? Other forums suggest that 2018-2020 models, it was somewhere in the console and, prior to that, it was behind the rear seats. I can't see anything like a module in the center console, but perhaps it's under the cup holders...
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
The 2022 Workshop Manual (WSM) states the Power Running Boards (PRB) are controlled by the DSM (Driver's Seat Module) located under the driver's seat. The DSM relies on inputs from the BCM (Body Control Module) to determine its action (one small excerpt from the WSM on the topic):

The DSM determines the need to move the PRB's and applies voltage and ground on 4 circuits to the PRB motors in order to stow (retract) or deploy (extend) the PRB's. To stow the PRB , the DSM applies voltage on the RB STOW circuit and ground on the RB DEPLOY circuit. To deploy the PRB the DSM switches the voltage and ground so the voltage is applied to the RB DEPLOY circuit and ground to the RB STOW circuit. The DSM monitors the movement and position of PRB with a hall-effect switch that is part of the PRB motor. The DSM supplies a 10 volt controlled voltage and a ground circuit to the PRB motor hall-effect sensor and receives a sensor signal from the hall-effect sensor.
The DSM should be easy to spot with up to 5 connectors plugged into it (C341 A through E).

There's no mention of a physically separate dedicated 'PRB module' in any of this system's discussion in the 2022 WSM. Most likely this is valid for all Gen 14 (2021 & 2022).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
petemill

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Thanks @Buyer2021. Do you happen to have connector diagrams for those connectors on the DSM? I found the wiring diagram for the PRB as they pertain to the DSM but not the connector pins. Thanks!

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Thanks @Buyer2021. Do you happen to have connector diagrams for those connectors on the DSM? I found the wiring diagram for the PRB as they pertain to the DSM but not the connector pins. Thanks!
Sorry, that goes beyond what I'm willing to undertake here (lots of connectors and pins).

Note you can see and save all of the info you seek for only $22 - You must have a PC (I can't vouch for running in whatever you call a PC emulator on a MAC), choose the 72-hour Motorcraft Manuals subscription here: - FordServiceInfo.Com (motorcraftservice.com)

^That's^ a tremendous resource and a heck of a deal - you can get a ton of stuff in 72-hours of access, you'll know it is absolutely correct and current.

OP
OP
petemill

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Sorry, that goes beyond what I'm willing to undertake here (lots of connectors and pins).

Note you can see and save all of the info you seek for only $22 - You must have a PC (I can't vouch for running in whatever you call a PC emulator on a MAC), choose the 72-hour Motorcraft Manuals subscription here: - FordServiceInfo.Com (motorcraftservice.com)

^That's^ a tremendous resource and a heck of a deal - you can get a ton of stuff in 72-hours of access, you'll know it is absolutely correct and current.
thanks for the info - this is exactly what I have been trying to find out about

Sponsored

1russjr2

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 5.0 Platinum Long Bed
Occupation
retired
The 2022 Workshop Manual (WSM) states the Power Running Boards (PRB) are controlled by the DSM (Driver's Seat Module) located under the driver's seat. The DSM relies on inputs from the BCM (Body Control Module) to determine its action (one small excerpt from the WSM on the topic):

The DSM determines the need to move the PRB's and applies voltage and ground on 4 circuits to the PRB motors in order to stow (retract) or deploy (extend) the PRB's. To stow the PRB , the DSM applies voltage on the RB STOW circuit and ground on the RB DEPLOY circuit. To deploy the PRB the DSM switches the voltage and ground so the voltage is applied to the RB DEPLOY circuit and ground to the RB STOW circuit. The DSM monitors the movement and position of PRB with a hall-effect switch that is part of the PRB motor. The DSM supplies a 10 volt controlled voltage and a ground circuit to the PRB motor hall-effect sensor and receives a sensor signal from the hall-effect sensor.
The DSM should be easy to spot with up to 5 connectors plugged into it (C341 A through E).

There's no mention of a physically separate dedicated 'PRB module' in any of this system's discussion in the 2022 WSM. Most likely this is valid for all Gen 14 (2021 & 2022).

Hope that helps.
"BUYER2021" - new to forum. been wanting 2016-2019 KR but FINALLY got 2017 PLAT. original owner discarded PRBs but got good deal on Gen14 (2021) PRBs & figured they'd be quick install & plug-n-play on 2015-2020. on 5/26/22, according to "Airborne_Ape" at this link: f150forum.com/f118/oem-power-fold-running-boards-installed-xlt-402443/index23/#post7215109 -- PRB motor gearing's different as PRBM counts motor rotations to fully-deployed-state & bottoms out too early. PRBM is slave module that can't be overwritten. Gen13 OEM PRB ECU won't generate DTCs when Gen14 PRBs are correctly wired.
so my question is: do you know if i can install a Gen14 DSM on my Gen13 & this will be the work-around to get the PRBs to work? thx

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
do you know if i can install a Gen14 DSM on my Gen13 & this will be the work-around to get the PRBs to work? thx
I have no knowledge or resources relating to Gen 13 at all.

OP
OP
petemill

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
"BUYER2021" - new to forum. been wanting 2016-2019 KR but FINALLY got 2017 PLAT. original owner discarded PRBs but got good deal on Gen14 (2021) PRBs & figured they'd be quick install & plug-n-play on 2015-2020. on 5/26/22, according to "Airborne_Ape" at this link: f150forum.com/f118/oem-power-fold-running-boards-installed-xlt-402443/index23/#post7215109 -- PRB motor gearing's different as PRBM counts motor rotations to fully-deployed-state & bottoms out too early. PRBM is slave module that can't be overwritten. Gen13 OEM PRB ECU won't generate DTCs when Gen14 PRBs are correctly wired.
so my question is: do you know if i can install a Gen14 DSM on my Gen13 & this will be the work-around to get the PRBs to work? thx
Well done finding 14th gen PRB take-offs. I searched everywhere and couldn't find any, so in the end had to reluctantly take them off my Powerboost and transfer to my Lightning.

If you mounted a 14th gen DSM controller as a PRB controller somewhere in your cab, it might just work to receive the correct signals and operate the 14th gen PRBs, but it might throw DTC codes about the seat motors not being attached. You'd have to get the connectors (there are 5 of them to the DSP) and provide wires power, signal from the various module bus, and then the 10 wires from the PRBs themselves. Also, who knows whether the whole system might have issue with there being 2 DSM controllers - I think it may break some things, especially with the seat position recall functions, if you have them.

The other option you may be considering is to mount a 14th gen DSM instead of your 13th gen DSM, under the seat. Looking at the wiring diagrams, whilst this may be possible because it's approximately the same number wires, and they are the same color, the connectors are all very different and not interchangeable: there are 5 of them in the 14th gen DSM and 4 of them in the 13th gen DSM. And they have different shapes and pin numbers.

Compare these wiring diagrams for just the regular memory power seat functions of the DSM:

14th gen
1663090340857.png

13th gen
1663090366448.png

Notice the different connector names and pin numbers. And yes the connectors have different shapes.

You might also be wondering if you could put an entire 14th gen drivers seat in your 13th gen, but it doesn't look like it - the seat connectors look different too.

So it might be possible, but I think it's going to be monumental. That's coming from someone that just did a swap of 14th gen power running boards to a 14th gen without power running boards, and even that was a hideous task. Not only were none of the wires there in any of the connectors between the PRB, the drivers seat or the DSM (had to re-pin 5 connectors), but the (14th gen) DSM could still not control the PRBs as it was missing a microchip or 2. I also had to swap the DSMs.

So you'll also have to find a 14th gen DSM that specifically has the PRB chips. MU5T-14C708-AJ is one such variant of the DSM that does have the PRB chips.

Here's 2 side by side, one that supports PRB and one that does not

1663090699014.jpeg

And here's the wiring diagram for the PRB
1663090754020.png

I would get the AMP boards if I was in your position with a 13th gen - you can message RealTruck.com on these forums and get them at a discount. Plus they are offering a $100 rebate at the moment.

1russjr2

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
petemill, thank you very much for all that detailed info - that was very kind of you! i'm kinda bummed the extreme job it'll take to even try to see if the gen14 prbs will work so i'm gonna have to remove these good looking things & sell them - dang! i do like the oem prb extended length & kick switch - do you know if amp at least has that extended length feature? thx again

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Really what you need to do is calibrate the PRB and that is done with a self test.

The 14 gen DSM will NOT work in a 13 gen. You have to use the PRB module in the 13 gen. There is no difference in the motores for the steps. The only change was the length and the addition of the kick switch.

The entire PRB circuit is identical 13 and 14 gen only different controller. They consolidated it into the DSM rather than the module on the back of the console or wall depending on if you have a TCU or not.

The hall effect sensor circuit is identical reason it is not workign or deploying fully is no calibration.

EVEN IF and big IF because they are the same, the motors were different you can mount the 13 gen motors onto the 14 gen boards. Identical mount. I have swapped them.. I added the PRB to my 21. I went all through the system and I added the PRB to my 13 gen 2019. I am very familiar wihttheentirte system.

Sponsored

1russjr2

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Jesse-Infotainment,
ok i'm a newbie so bear with me on all this.
if i understand you: i can use my gen14 (2021) prbs already installed on my 2017 f150 plat (that originally had prbs) but that in order to do so, i need to, "calibrate" the prbs via a "self test".
you also said, "The hall effect sensor circuit is identical - reason it is not working or deploying fully is no calibration."
so my question: how do i calibrate the gen14 prbs via the self test in order to get them to work?
thank you

Legedouj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Well done finding 14th gen PRB take-offs. I searched everywhere and couldn't find any, so in the end had to reluctantly take them off my Powerboost and transfer to my Lightning.

If you mounted a 14th gen DSM controller as a PRB controller somewhere in your cab, it might just work to receive the correct signals and operate the 14th gen PRBs, but it might throw DTC codes about the seat motors not being attached. You'd have to get the connectors (there are 5 of them to the DSP) and provide wires power, signal from the various module bus, and then the 10 wires from the PRBs themselves. Also, who knows whether the whole system might have issue with there being 2 DSM controllers - I think it may break some things, especially with the seat position recall functions, if you have them.

The other option you may be considering is to mount a 14th gen DSM instead of your 13th gen DSM, under the seat. Looking at the wiring diagrams, whilst this may be possible because it's approximately the same number wires, and they are the same color, the connectors are all very different and not interchangeable: there are 5 of them in the 14th gen DSM and 4 of them in the 13th gen DSM. And they have different shapes and pin numbers.

Compare these wiring diagrams for just the regular memory power seat functions of the DSM:

14th gen
1663090340857.png

13th gen
1663090366448.png

Notice the different connector names and pin numbers. And yes the connectors have different shapes.

You might also be wondering if you could put an entire 14th gen drivers seat in your 13th gen, but it doesn't look like it - the seat connectors look different too.

So it might be possible, but I think it's going to be monumental. That's coming from someone that just did a swap of 14th gen power running boards to a 14th gen without power running boards, and even that was a hideous task. Not only were none of the wires there in any of the connectors between the PRB, the drivers seat or the DSM (had to re-pin 5 connectors), but the (14th gen) DSM could still not control the PRBs as it was missing a microchip or 2. I also had to swap the DSMs.

So you'll also have to find a 14th gen DSM that specifically has the PRB chips. MU5T-14C708-AJ is one such variant of the DSM that does have the PRB chips.

Here's 2 side by side, one that supports PRB and one that does not

1663090699014.jpeg

And here's the wiring diagram for the PRB
1663090754020.png

I would get the AMP boards if I was in your position with a 13th gen - you can message RealTruck.com on these forums and get them at a discount. Plus they are offering a $100 rebate at the moment.

Petemill - i'm trying to do this as well. I cannot locate the MU5T-14C708-AJ. How did you find yours and how do you know which vairiants are available?

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
Petemill - i'm trying to do this as well. I cannot locate the MU5T-14C708-AJ. How did you find yours and how do you know which vairiants are available?
MU5Z-14C708-E is the part number you'd need for the DSM with power boards, I just ordered one a few weeks ago.

Legedouj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
MU5Z-14C708-E is the part number you'd need for the DSM with power boards, I just ordered one a few weeks ago.
Got it, thanks!! I'm trying to confirm if it will work with the 2022 XLT

High Equipment, SYNC 4, 8" Productivity screen, Large Center Nav Screen, FX4, Co-Pilot360 2.0 Max Trailer Tow, Super Crew 4x4, B&O Sound, and a few more items.

Legedouj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Is it possible to operate Ford OEM PRBs by using an AMP Research wiring harness and not use the OBDII port?

I can pick up a set of 2023 Ford OEM Power Running Boards right now for $500. I'm not opposed to installing a mechanical door switch. (i actually did this on my 1959 F100)
Sponsored