Sponsored

Ford asks Texas dealers to lend 415 new F-150 with onboard generators to aid state power outage

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I would normally say that this is a publicity stunt but 7.2kw is not an insignificant amount of juice and there’s a lot of people unprepared who could use some.

Back east, we were always prepared for power outages. Especially in the winter. All the homes were older and we would have filled kerosene lamps, extra wood despite having oil furnaces and portable camping stoves despite propane ovens which could be started with a match. I remember once, there was an ice storm followed by a blizzard and we didn’t have power for over two weeks. It was fun for me and my friends because we didn’t have to go to school but it wasn’t anything close to an emergency.

New construction homes are more efficient but aren’t self sufficient. They depend on the grid and in some cases piped in natural gas. Once left to their own devices, some of the features in much older homes start looking more desirable.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Good PR for Ford, but it’ll be interesting to see if these trucks remain labeled as new stock or used. I wouldn’t be buying one and paying new truck pricing for something that already has miles and hours on the clock.

Sponsored

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
Good PR for Ford, but it’ll be interesting to see if these trucks remain labeled as new stock or used. I wouldn’t be buying one and paying new truck pricing for something that already has miles and hours on the clock.
I think what's happening here is Ford throwing some $$$ to dealers to place these vehicles in their "loaner" fleet?

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loaner and courtesy cars can have between 250 and 5,000 miles. Some dealers will even use them in rental programs.

The first time I went in to check out cars at my local dealership, they tried to pitch me one of their loaners that had around 500 miles on it. They said the loaner cars are sold at ‘considerable’ discount, when I asked them what that was, I laughed at them. It was really no discount at all but I imagine if you were one of those people who hates to negotiate it’s better than nothing.

It will be interesting to see if any of these Powerboost trucks also got loaned out with a film crew!

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
The purchase of a new truck, the ordering process etc... is enough for me. I have no plans in ever buying new again. This was my first in my life & it will be my last. Way too much PIA = (Pain In Ass)

Last edited:

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I think what's happening here is Ford throwing some $$$ to dealers to place these vehicles in their "loaner" fleet?
That’s what I am thinking will happen too. Unfortunate because there are so few new F-150s to begin with, and they’re going to have to mark a considerable percentage of them as loaner/used.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The automaker on Thursday sent a letter to retailers in the state asking them to loan 2021 F-150 pickups from inventory to residents without electricity so they can use the trucks' onboard generators to power homes. Ford is offering the dealers $600 more than normal to put any F-150 with the Pro Power Onboard feature into loaner fleets.

Ford says there are currently about 415 generator-equipped pickups on Texas dealers' lots. The trucks still can be sold to retail customers during an upcoming "Truck Month" promotion in March, the letter said.
All in the first post,

$600 in addition to their normal loaner fleet incentives, whatever that is...

Only 400 Powerboost trucks and change are available in the affected area.

Ford usually builds just shy of a million F-150 trucks every year.

Just shows how much production has been impacted.

Demand has been pretty high, so they will have little problem selling any trucks, loaner or not. Also, please correct me if I am wrong but I believe loaner cars come with a better warranty than factory new.

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
Demand has been pretty high, so they will have little problem selling any trucks, loaner or not. Also, please correct me if I am wrong but I believe loaner cars come with a better warranty than factory new.
Wild guess ? Texas dealers will have NO problem selling F150s with built in generator, even if they have a few hours on them!

Last edited:

Caddystew

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 1957 Cadillac and Ford
Occupation
Nothing that I can think of
PIcked up my mobile generator today. Was without power for 42 hours here in Dallas. Ford needs to really push his new option!
Ford F-150 Ford asks Texas dealers to lend 415 new F-150 with onboard generators to aid state power outage 4AF4F9AD-07C0-44AC-8F5E-E745722C352F
Sponsored