Sponsored

F150 vs Silverado/Sierra

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
I currently have a 2019 Silverado, with the 5.3L. It's mostly OK (I don't even mind the interior), except for towing - several times while towing our travel trailer (6896 lbs, 806 lb hitch weight), the transmission has overheated. The truck is rated to tow 9500 lbs, with 1767 lbs of payload, so it really should have no problem, but if I tow the trailer and there are hills, I get a CEL and a message the transmission has overheated. Usually the CEL clears by the time I can get it into a dealership, and the truck does not appear to be any worse for wear, but it's still concerning.

I WAS planning to get a new Sierra with the 3.0 Duramax next year, but with the price of gas lately (especially diesel here out east) I've been weighing my options. I've always been a GM guy (dad worked there for 30+ years), but the Powerboost F150 has grabbed my attention - my only concern is the payload (ie: what's the payload on a 4x4 XLT Powerboost w/6.5' box). I also wish I knew why I can't get body colour bumpers with a bench seat, but GM also has some silly restrictions with what you can get with a bench, so...

GM has this handy "Online Order/Reference Guide" which you can use to find out just about anything on their vehicles, I have not been able to find something similar from Ford.

Aside from the transmission, the other thing I dislike about my current truck is how often I have to refuel while pulling the trailer - I'm hoping whatever I end up with will let me get another hour or so between stops.
Maybe the attached will help with your questions?
Sponsored

Attachments

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
Anybody here driven the 2.7 chevy? I'm getting tired of waiting and thinking about going to check one out this week.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I would stick to the basics on the models you want to consider: MSRP, horsepower, torque, MPG, payload, towing capacity, etc. Think of how many years you plan to own the truck and extrapolate the estimated total cost of ownership. So for example I might plan on 10 years of ownership and fuel might cost me $1,700 / year x 10 plus the purchase price. You can also throw insurance & registration on there but those should be about a wash. Easy to plug some formulas in to populate the cells as you make changes.

Then Pros & Cons for each model - what do you like and what don't you like. Keep it simple.

Fueleconomy.gov has a great comparison guide and you can personalize it for your annual mileage and the price of fuel in your area.
Add steel vs aluminum. This is a big deal. If you keep vehicles a long time, no rust issues.

Grayson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting
I had a 2022 1500 RST, LTD. I have a 2022 LT trail boss refresh now. Both with 3.0 duramax. Surprisingly the trail boss still manages 24mpg.

It was 603 miles before I developed the rear clunking on the refresh. RST came factory equipped with clunk. I love the engine. The refresh has some things I don't care for because it's android based and I'm an iPhone user. The biggest peeves are seat comfort and the silver trim piece at the bottom of the infotainment system screen....the glare is straight at your eyes.

I had a 2022 Raptor; the quality of the delivered product after a long wait made me sell it before my 30 day tags expired. I've ordered a 2023 Powerboost to use for work.

I will give final fit and finish to Chevrolet for the refresh. The better truck is Ford IMO.

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
IMO if you're looking for a truck that feels/drives like a truck, you'll be disappointed in the 2.7.

Sure, fuel mileage is good but I've had a 2.7 before and a few colleagues share the same sentiment; it feels too "light" and un-truck like.

I'd go powerboost if the fuel mileage is your biggest factor for considering the 2.7.

Sponsored

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Add steel vs aluminum. This is a big deal. If you keep vehicles a long time, no rust issues.
My old 2000 Tahoe had an aluminum tailgate / hatch and while it never had any rust that hatch had significant oxidation or corrosion issues. I see it a lot.

I have not seen any issues like this on F150's though I haven't really looked.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I had a 2022 1500 RST, LTD. I have a 2022 LT trail boss refresh now. Both with 3.0 duramax. Surprisingly the trail boss still manages 24mpg.

It was 603 miles before I developed the rear clunking on the refresh. RST came factory equipped with clunk. I love the engine. The refresh has some things I don't care for because it's android based and I'm an iPhone user. The biggest peeves are seat comfort and the silver trim piece at the bottom of the infotainment system screen....the glare is straight at your eyes.

I had a 2022 Raptor; the quality of the delivered product after a long wait made me sell it before my 30 day tags expired. I've ordered a 2023 Powerboost to use for work.

I will give final fit and finish to Chevrolet for the refresh. The better truck is Ford IMO.
What was wrong with the Raptor? If the quality of the Raptor was not suitable for you, what made you order a 2023 PowerBoost? Just curious.

I am an Iphone user as well. What is different about GM's android based interface and the one Ford uses? Wondering as I have not been in a '22 refresh GM.

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
I've been spending quite a bit of time researching F150's and am pretty sure I'll (eventually...!) go for one ($ & availability pending, lol). Likely it would be a 4x4, SCREW, 5.5 bed, XLT-level, likely the 2.7L or MAYBE the Powerboost (mostly because I have an illogical dream of boondocking someday but I believe the 2.7L will otherwise fulfill 99% of my needs).

But was curious if anyone has owned or seriously considered the GMC Sierra 1500 series or Silverado series? I mostly ask because I found out a neighbor who I've met multiple times is a senior dude at a local dealer. While I haven't talked to him yet on this subject, I have a sliver of hope he would be able to help a bit more on pricing than just a random dealer guy further away.

From my research so far, it really does appear the F150 has a bit more 'bang for the buck' in terms of payload/towing capacity. I gather the GMCs are a bit pricier but are supposed to be a bit nicer/more features. I'll definitely test drive all 3; as a newbie to trucks, I'm not really emotionally attached to ANY brand (my current vehicles are Honda & Toyota but am not interested in Tundra, Ridgeline or Tacoma). I'm also not interested in the Ram - sounds silly, but I don't really like the looks of them, and a mechanic friend of mine says nothing but ill things about Rams (he owns 2 Fords and recommended GMC to me as well).

Anyway, notwithstanding any loyalties here (on an F150 forum, haha), did anyone else test more than the F150, come from a newer model GMC/Chevy, or even go back to a GMC/Chevy?

Many thanks!
From what I understand GM is making a rcsb BUt only in the W/T trim and only with a 2.7 turbo 4 cyl engine

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I had a Chevy 2500 for 7 years and overall I prefer the cab and dash instrumentation for the Chevy trucks. Problem is that they have few engine options, no large fuel tank option, and no locking rear differential option. So it came down to chosing between a Ram 1500 and a Ford F-150. Ford had two V-6 options and I could avoid the Ram eTorquer that is basically a large battery and motor and an expensive item to replace when it fails.

I bought the Ford and overall it had most of the equipment I wanted, however to pay $70,000 for a truck without a moonroof and without even a garage door opener is quite a rip-off. Toyota provides more truck for the buck but they have a terrible rear tailgate and no bed step so if you want to get up into the bed you need to carry a step ladder. And the Tundra lacks a locking or even a limited slip rear differential.

Grayson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting
What was wrong with the Raptor? If the quality of the Raptor was not suitable for you, what made you order a 2023 PowerBoost? Just curious.

I am an Iphone user as well. What is different about GM's android based interface and the one Ford uses? Wondering as I have not been in a '22 refresh GM.
Raptor had bedliner overspray on both sides of the truck from the factory, battery was replaced at 752 miles, leather seats were loose; not just a little but roughly 1/2" of excess material, center console workstation had a tear. RUST and not just the differential but the truck had several places on the frame that were exposed and rusted, the entire exhaust was pitted along with welds & hangers. I even had a misc random piece in my bed.

Ford F-150 F150 vs Silverado/Sierra B450BC0D-00A1-4A0F-B047-36BD3BF953FD
Ford F-150 F150 vs Silverado/Sierra 45E1422A-9722-49D8-A9BE-5EA8E20568BF
Ford F-150 F150 vs Silverado/Sierra AD082603-B853-40C1-9471-266E6ED272B7

I ordered a powerboost because the cloth sport seats are great, never had an issue. Im not a fan of leather anymore mainly because of business use.
I'm sure some of the issues would have been taken care of by warranty but after waiting 9 months on an 800a, I didn't want to use anymore time on it. Just because a vehicle is more expensive doesn't mean the quality is going to match.

GM's infotainment vs Sync 4:
GM's system operates more like a traditional android device, you can see and close out which apps or processes are running. I had to create a google account to utilize some of the features, like Navigation. I'm not a CarPlay user either but I don't have a choice to simply play music off of my phone via USB. Apple CarPlay must be enabled.

Reactions: 780

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Raptor had bedliner overspray on both sides of the truck from the factory, battery was replaced at 752 miles, leather seats were loose; not just a little but roughly 1/2" of excess material, center console workstation had a tear. RUST and not just the differential but the truck had several places on the frame that were exposed and rusted, the entire exhaust was pitted along with welds & hangers. I even had a misc random piece in my bed.

B450BC0D-00A1-4A0F-B047-36BD3BF953FD.jpeg
45E1422A-9722-49D8-A9BE-5EA8E20568BF.jpeg
AD082603-B853-40C1-9471-266E6ED272B7.jpeg

I ordered a powerboost because the cloth sport seats are great, never had an issue. Im not a fan of leather anymore mainly because of business use.
I'm sure some of the issues would have been taken care of by warranty but after waiting 9 months on an 800a, I didn't want to use anymore time on it. Just because a vehicle is more expensive doesn't mean the quality is going to match.

GM's infotainment vs Sync 4:
GM's system operates more like a traditional android device, you can see and close out which apps or processes are running. I had to create a google account to utilize some of the features, like Navigation. I'm not a CarPlay user either but I don't have a choice to simply play music off of my phone via USB. Apple CarPlay must be enabled.
That's terrible for a Raptor. The dealership should be ashamed they never caught that and corrected it prior to delivery. Hopefully your experience with the PowerBoost is much better.

Ah understood. Maybe cause I use an iphone and carplay along with apple music, Sync 4 seems to work well for me. Thanks for the explanation.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I've often heard the GMC/Chevy seats are uncomfortable (online and on UTube). I haven't tried a test drive yet myself.
I’ve rented vehicles for extended on a regular basis from 2001-2018.
Last few years, predominately pickups & Suburban/Expedition type trucks.

GM trucks absolutely uncomfortable for me. Can’t get used to those seats at all.
Dodge just felt kind of cheap and had interior squeaks right out of the gate. But, if you needed to pass someone (or many) on a two lane hiway, that HEMI got the job done in very short order.

Gen 13 F-150/Expedition was the only pickup that I felt completely at home in the instant I got in. Comfortable for me as well.

Same feelings about the Traverse vs Explorer. Tho neither of these would be my preferred method of transport, SHE drives a Trailblazer that is needing to be replaced soon and I’m leaning to an XLT 202 for her.
they drive nice and are comfortable but a bit noisy.

Grayson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting
The seats in the Chevy are like a rock. (Pun intended) F150 seats work better for me because the cushion has more support area from hip to knee. Also only LTZ and above trim levels have power passenger seats if that's important to you

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Both the Fords and Chevys are nice. I've had several Tahoes and they've been great. I looked at a Denali diesel but the interior was weak, so I bought the PowerBoost and am happy with it. If I were to buy a new truck today I'd look at the GMs with the new interiors, but I'd probably still go with the Ford for the PowerBoost and ProPower. I might even look for a Lightning.

AntyRun

First Name
Anty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford F150
To be honest, this problem has troubled me for a long time, but in the end I chose the F150
Sponsored