First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150, focus, corolla
Occupation
Software Engineer
Why do they need to go to dealer for a software update? What about OTA updates?
This is what I'm most interested in. I would hope that they built their OTA system with expansibility in mind and not specifically for updating a static set of infotainment and drive mode features.
Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
What I'm interested in is :

What is the dealership tech using i.e., the tools, test equip & procedures that makes OTA impossible. The "How" To!

Caneman88

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F150 Platinum ,MB GLC 300
Occupation
Pella Windows and Doors
My Poweboost is on the way with 7.2kw generator could I plug in my battery tender in the bed power station and charge the battery 24/7 till Ford comes up with a fix maybe that's why my truck is delayed was due to be in Texas 2/22/21 now end of month or March

Last edited:

BDUBSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...-ford-f-150-pickups-battery-drain/6753464002/

The article quotes forum member from: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/deep-sleep-mode.1691/

2021 Ford F-150 batteries going dead due to phantom battery drain

February 15, 2021

Some brand-new 2021 Ford F-150 pickups being delivered to dealerships and customers are experiencing dead 12-volt batteries due to phantom battery drain, the Free Press confirmed on Monday.

b5-4639-92e6-cecd7a520aad-FordF150_12202020_AT_342.jpg

A car dealer in Texas said a random dead battery happened to him at the dealership, requiring use of his old F-250 pickup to charge the new F-150 to even get it to the service department.

The technician said the battery seemed fine so it was charged and returned to the lot, said the dealer, who was not authorized to talk with the media.

F-150 customers exchanged notes in private online discussion groups as they've tried to determine the cause and figure out a solution.

"A population of vehicles built before we began shipping to dealers require a software update to prevent batteries from losing their charge," said Ford spokesman Said Deep told the Free Press. "Our dealers were notified last week and customer letters will go out next week as part of a customer satisfaction program for this matter."

Cause unknown
Ford declined to provide details about the situation, specifically why the 12-volt batteries are losing juice or how many vehicles are suspected of having this problem.

In private online forums for 2021 F-150 owners, discussion has focused in recent weeks on the issue of battery durability and a potential explanation for the situation.

Owners have compared notes on who was having battery issues and when.

One owner confirmed his truck was built Nov. 24 in Dearborn. He wrote, "My truck went into deep sleep mode once and the only way to bring it back to life was a jump start. Had to use the physical key in the fob to open the door."

Another F-150 owner said his truck was built Jan. 18 in Dearborn. "Dead as a doornail today. Drove the truck this past Sunday on a 100 mile trip."

A third owner wrote, "Joining the club of dead batteries. I figured it was a result of me not driving for 5 days and mild cold but it didn't feel right. Thankfully I found this website forum. I'll have to schedule the recall on the truck to fix it. Hopefully it corrects the battery issue."

Ford F-150 owners experiencing a battery charge problem should go to the dealership for a software update, Deep said.
Saw this today as well. Was about to post it but you beat me to it. Thanks for sharing with the group. Sounds like Ford is acknowledging the issue.

Sponsored

ddfarmer

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
Update: Got truck back from dealer after the 'phantom battery drain.' Dealer claimed it was a bad cell in the battery and they replaced it. They kept the vehcile overnight and ran tests, and said no battery drain after a full night nor anything pulling current. When I asked about the phantom drain with Ford and the above articles (even sent them links to them), dealer said the articles were interesting, but in all their notices and direct service link they have with Ford they have no information about the phantom drain and according to them Ford hasn't said a thing or acknowledged it as an issue or that there is anything to resolve. So I've picked it up and we'll see if it happens again.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Update: Got truck back from dealer after the 'phantom battery drain.' Dealer claimed it was a bad cell in the battery and they replaced it. They kept the vehcile overnight and ran tests, and said no battery drain after a full night nor anything pulling current. When I asked about the phantom drain with Ford and the above articles (even sent them links to them), dealer said the articles were interesting, but in all their notices and direct service link they have with Ford they have no information about the phantom drain and according to them Ford hasn't said a thing or acknowledged it as an issue or that there is anything to resolve. So I've picked it up and we'll see if it happens again.
My experience at the dealership yesterday was just about the same as yours. I posted this yesterday in the other thread regarding this issue:

Here’s my update to my battery issue:

I took my truck to the dealer at 7 am today and explained the issues that I’m having and also mentioned this forum and similar battery issues that others are having, the FREEP article regarding this issue and Ford’s acknowledgement of the issue. The SA really didn’t say much about it.

At 3 pm I get a call that my truck was done. I asked what they found and what they did. I was told they performed some kind of battery test. From this test they determined that the battery had a failed cell. They replaced the battery.

Additionally, the took care of the cluster and heated mirror/integrated trailer relay module software FSAs.

Time will tell if this solves my battery drain issues. I’m honestly not buying the battery story. Others here have had their batteries replaced only to have the same “phantom drain” issues later.

The jury is still out where I’m concerned.

Sponsored

aika1

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
'21 F-150, '08 4Runner, '66 LeMans, '21 CanAm X3
Occupation
sales idiot
My experience at the dealership yesterday was just about the same as yours. I posted this yesterday in the other thread regarding this issue:

Here’s my update to my battery issue:

I took my truck to the dealer at 7 am today and explained the issues that I’m having and also mentioned this forum and similar battery issues that others are having, the FREEP article regarding this issue and Ford’s acknowledgement of the issue. The SA really didn’t say much about it.

At 3 pm I get a call that my truck was done. I asked what they found and what they did. I was told they performed some kind of battery test. From this test they determined that the battery had a failed cell. They replaced the battery.

Additionally, the took care of the cluster and heated mirror/integrated trailer relay module software FSAs.

Time will tell if this solves my battery drain issues. I’m honestly not buying the battery story. Others here have had their batteries replaced only to have the same “phantom drain” issues later.

The jury is still out where I’m concerned.
Actually, I'm buying it. It rings very similar to an experience I had with an Optima battery. One or more of the cells went bad, but it tested mostly okay. But I could drive it for hours, stop the car at a construction zone with just the radio playing (no engine), and after a few minutes the battery wouldn't start the car. it was the strangest thing, and the tester at Autozone said the battery was still okay. But one of the cells was visibly pooched out in the top of the case. New battery, NO problems since. Battery chemistry is pretty interesting stuff.
Also, if they metered the truck and there's no load while the truck is off, I suspect the battery itself.
But what do I know...?

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Actually, I'm buying it. It rings very similar to an experience I had with an Optima battery. One or more of the cells went bad, but it tested mostly okay. But I could drive it for hours, stop the car at a construction zone with just the radio playing (no engine), and after a few minutes the battery wouldn't start the car. it was the strangest thing, and the tester at Autozone said the battery was still okay. But one of the cells was visibly pooched out in the top of the case. New battery, NO problems since. Battery chemistry is pretty interesting stuff.
Also, if they metered the truck and there's no load while the truck is off, I suspect the battery itself.
But what do I know...?
That is interesting. I just hope you (and the dealer) are right!

BDUBSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Still watching mine since they replaced the battery. So far no issues. But keeping my NOCO on hand just in case.

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 1992 F150, 1999 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150
How many have this issue with trucks built in Dearborn?

How many have this issue with trucks built in Claycomo?

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How many have this issue with trucks built in Dearborn?

How many have this issue with trucks built in Claycomo?
Put me down for a Dearborn.
Sponsored