Will I regret going with XL?

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
If you’re on the fence I say move up. If you don’t you will say I should have just got what I wanted. The extra money you spent will fade into the past pretty quickly.
Sponsored

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
I think it depends if a truck is something you are going to take pride in how much you saved or whether you are going to regret not having features. Many guys have already responded about how they got what they wanted and did a great job minimizing their cost. Like air2mag, in my case, the money would fade into the past, but I would continually be annoyed with missing certain features.

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ram 1500 TRX Sandblast Edition
When my wife ordered her vehicle last year and was debating on features I told her to get exactly what she wanted and add anything she's on the fence about since if she gets the feature and doesn't use it much, so what. If she didn't get a feature and then wanted it.... well to bad. I learned that lesson with the 21 Lariat and I didn't want her doing it.

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
I went with 502A, I knew XLT wouldn’t cut it for me. They’re nice but lariat just has the feel. And no it’s not just the leather so Katzkin people you can exhale now :ROFLMAO: I REALLY like king ranch interior, but they would have taken my seats away anyway so no hard feelings on my decision to stick with lariat.

I do a lot of driving and sitting and waiting so really wanted a trim I’d be happy with.

also one of those people who always keep their vehicle clean and stuff so I guess in the end it depends what the truck means to you in the end but if you are questioning it so soon then I think you might know

SteveJ2477

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XL STX
I did the build and price on the F150 and Ranger for months. Then decided on the F150. Kept coming back to the XL STX. Found the XL STX with the options I wanted and bought it. Absolutely no regrets and I appreciate the savings from higher end models. Plus I got $2000 off MSRP, wheel well liners and full tank of fuel, just 9 months ago.

Either way, buy what you want and fits your needs and enjoy it.

Sponsored

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
If you’re on the fence I say move up. If you don’t you will say I should have just got what I wanted. The extra money you spent will fade into the past pretty quickly.
Or you can put in bank along with the other times you do that and retire at 60 with no financial worries and pay cash for any big purchase. My wife finally turned me but I thank her evrytime I dont hear the alarm clock in the mourning anymore.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
I did the STX.

Added Katzkin, Husky liners, qheel liners, leveled with Nitto 295/60/20, Fuel wheels, tonneau, and amp research power steps.
Then added smoked emblems and Apharex headlights

Less than stepping to an XLT

Ford F-150 Will I regret going with XL? 20220707_175137

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I did the STX.

Added Katzkin, Husky liners, qheel liners, leveled with Nitto 295/60/20, Fuel wheels, tonneau, and amp research power steps.
Then added smoked emblems and Apharex headlights

Less than stepping to an XLT

20220707_175137.jpg
NICE! And the STX has the nicest looking grille in the lineup. Ford really hit it out of the park with that one.

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
Initially I thought I would try to keep my truck on the cheaper side and go with XL trim but I looked at what I’m giving up and started wondering if it’s too much of a downgrade. So now I’m thinking XLT. Truck would be a daily commuter and also used for camping and road trips.

I’m coming from a Subaru Crosstrek Limited which has:
leather/heated seats
Power Adjustable seats
Leather wrapped steering wheel
Led head/taillights
Steering responsive headlights
Keyless lock/unlock
Sunroof
Adaptive cruise control/ lane keep assist
I also came from a Subaru (WRX). The 302A ended up being the perfect choice for me. Lowest trim that got me heated seats plus the LED reflector headlights, 12" centre screen, keyless push button start. Very happy with my choice, I don't regret not going higher at all. Personally, I couldn't justify the price hike (CAD) to the 50X packages.

Last edited:

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I have had “base v8/manual trans trucks since the early 70s when I started driving.
Adding carpet and cloth seats to every one.
Been more than content with them all.
Kinda wish they had power windows, but none did.
I did order a mid level XLT for just a couple of things.
Interior color
Bucket seats/console
Keyless entry
Remote start-that I seldom use
And the towing hitch that was part of that trim level.
Got used to those power windows in hurry.
Even broke down and put “factory” power windows and locks in my 98 chev shortly after getting the ford.

Even base trucks now have more “ fluff” than the fully loaded trucks had as little as 10-15 yrs ago.

if one has been driving pickups their whole life, one will know what is needed and what is useless (to him/her) bull crap.
If one is new to the pickup scene, might be wise to not set expectations and desires too high as you may find out this vehicle is not for you.
I went to the dealer with the list of stuff that needed to be on it.
Anything else was just a flat NO.
( they still managed to leave one option off, but it was easily corrected after delivery)

Sponsored

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
I got a Lariat 4x4 5.0 500A peak covid/chip shortage for $50K. A loaded 302A would have costed me almost the same and I would give up several features that are Lariat and up like 4A, ventilated seats, leather. This is our family vehicle. A similarly priced RAM would only get me up to Big Horn. If XLT had the options of Lariat, I would have gotten it. XL is a hard pass for me unless I need a work truck. If that is the case, I might as well get a base 250 and have a proper truck. 1/2 tons are this weird category where a midsize may not do the job but a super duty is overkill. My use case is a middle of the ground, can tow some, can haul some, can be a family vehicle, acceptable gas mileage, acceptable price (full size SUVs are way too expensive).
Otherwise nothing wrong with an XL, but once you start adding options, might as well get XLT at the very least. I can't imagine a 4x4 without the 4A so for me Lariat is absolute minimum.

OP
OP
Ryan74

Ryan74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Carbonized Gray 4x4
Thanks lots of good points for XL and XLT

Instead of starting another thread I'll try to just ask here, as someone who doesnt plan on doing a lot of towing are there any disadvatages of going the the 3.31 vs the 3.55 axles?

Last edited:

Dave541

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Driver
Thanks lots of good points for XL and XLT

Instead of starting another thread I'll try to just ask here, as someone who doesnt plan on doing a lot of towing are there any disadvatages of going the the 3.31 elocking vs the 3.55 elocking axles?
I vote 3.55’s had them in my 2020 and they did great.

IconicJJR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I will go minimum XLT high package for creature comforts. Just for the basic extra luxuries. And honestly after finishing this one off next year if I get another it will be lariat minimum.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is the first NEW truck I have ordered and went with the XLT 302A. Power seat for the wife was the biggest reason as the regular seat cut into the back of her legs and they would get sore traveling a short distance. I would have liked the heated wheel and the Homelink, but the difference (approx $2500), I can but a lot of gloves with. Very happy with my truck.
Sponsored