First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Well, a couple months ago, in LA (on my way to a wedding) I had the unfortunate experience of having a modded out Subaru BRZ cutting in front of my on the freeway. Moments later, the vehicle downshifted and blew its engine, raining out debris all over my truck. Chunks of metal, rubber, and other stuff hit the front and sides of the truck. Almost nothing was spared except the passenger rear door and the truck bed. Paint chips, broken fiberglass, damaged windshield, dime size dents, and damage to the headlights, grille, roof, etc. Damage is kinda hard to see on camera as it’s A LOT of small scratches, dents, chips, etc and star white does a good job of hiding it from the camera. WAAAYYY too many tiny up close photos to post lol.

Current estimates for repair is up to $18k now with labor. While the shop and insurance go back and forth, my truck has now been standing for 22 days. Expecting resolution hopefully today so work can actually start. I wasn’t able to obtain the Subarus insurance info.

Lessons learned:

Make sure you have a good insurance company. I have good coverage, but the company itself has become terrible and at times, unreachable post Covid with customer service. I’ll refrain from naming them for now as it’s an open claim.

GET A DASH CAM. Can’t tell you how many times the insurance has had me repeat my version of events as they are suspicious of something, not sure what.

GET PPF? (at least for the major front parts). It wouldn’t have prevented the broken fiberglass or dents, but damage would have been less for sure overall.

Here are some photos I got of the truck taken apart.

Side note: with paint work being done and parts being replaced, kinda thinking of paint matching the mirrors, handles, front bumper chrome piece and painting fender vents black. Headlights are being replaced and thinking of asking them to order the tremor black ones. Thoughts on how that would look?

Hoping my rare baby 3.0 is fixed and rolling soon 🥲

Ford F-150 $18,000 in damage from freeway debris… 51DFDED2-E4FB-4D0B-A080-5606B5277051

Ford F-150 $18,000 in damage from freeway debris… 7BC24CF9-35FA-426E-9F5A-F5E9325FCC4B

Ford F-150 $18,000 in damage from freeway debris… B88C8403-F1A1-4144-9B6A-EF4FCE1B7A0C

Ford F-150 $18,000 in damage from freeway debris… B3D64206-670F-4B00-860F-BAB104CFBEBC

Ford F-150 $18,000 in damage from freeway debris… E9E752F1-671B-40EB-9EE9-7C5BA95E67EF

Ford F-150 $18,000 in damage from freeway debris… 3BC4EACE-F540-4780-809F-8C665BDEB652

Ford F-150 $18,000 in damage from freeway debris… BF228509-1340-4826-ADE1-67EEB3EFBF74
Sponsored

Last edited:

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I 2nd the dash cam, I keep drilling this to everyone I know and come to discuss vehicles. This is your best insurance policy, even better than your actual insurance policy. It cans also help avoiding paying deductible as you can prove you did not cause the damage by your own fault.

Good luck! I hope your baby is fixed quick.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I 2nd the dash cam, I keep drilling this to everyone I know and come to discuss vehicles. This is your best insurance policy, even better than your actual insurance policy. It cans also help avoiding paying deductible as you can prove you did not cause the damage by your own fault.

Good luck! I hope your baby is fixed quick.
Yeah I’m definitely shopping for a front and back dash cam for this thing. Insurance company is refusing to cover the damage to the roof, windshield and headlights as their “expert” has determined that the damage is unrelated. I feel like I’m living in a comedy skit right now.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Yeah I’m definitely shopping for a front and back dash cam for this thing. Insurance company is refusing to cover the damage to the roof, windshield and headlights as their “expert” has determined that the damage is unrelated. I feel like I’m living in a comedy skit right now.
i installed the thinkware U1000 bundle that has a front and rear camera
other than quirky wifi settings adjustments it is pretty darn good

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, that sucks.

I was recently on a highway. A dump truck loaded with gravel forgot to latch his tailgate.

Was spreading good size gravel down.

Almost caused 8 accidens that i saw before i got past him.

Shattered windshield. Numerous rock chips. All on me.

I saw at least 12 other cracked windshields.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yeah, that sucks.

I was recently on a highway. A dump truck loaded with gravel forgot to latch his tailgate.

Was spreading good size gravel down.

Almost caused 8 accidens that i saw before i got past him.

Shattered windshield. Numerous rock chips. All on me.

I saw at least 12 other cracked windshields.
That’s brutal! Situations like that make me want a camera all the more :(

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
It might be helpful to call your State Insurance Commissioner's office.

ShadowFox

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Eddie Bauer Expedition, 2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
USAF
It would be cool if the built in front/rear cameras could be hooked up to an external SSD to record.

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
If the Subaru’s engine blew, there is no way he took off right? Still couldn’t get his info? You don’t have to answer that obviously.. you probably would have already clarified if you wanted to.

That really sucks.

I got hit by a semi truck wheel and tire that broke off his trailer. Head on while going 70. The wheel was doing 50 in the opposite direction. I wouldnt be here today if it would have been higher up when it hit me. The whole front of my truck exploded. The truck saved my life.

I was lucky in that the driver pulled over a mile down the road but had no idea what had happened. It was a large wealthy local farm truck. They paid for everything and more. They we’re afraid I would sue. I had it all on camera. Bad deal.

Sponsored

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
If the Subaru’s engine blew, there is no way he took off right? Still couldn’t get his info? You don’t have to answer that obviously.. you probably would have already clarified if you wanted to.

That really sucks.

I got hit by a semi truck wheel and tire that broke off his trailer. Head on while going 70. The wheel was doing 50 in the opposite direction. I wouldnt be here today if it would have been higher up when it hit me. The whole front of my truck exploded. The truck saved my life.

I was lucky in that the driver pulled over a mile down the road but had no idea what had happened. It was a large wealthy local farm truck. They paid for everything and more. They we’re afraid I would sue. I had it all on camera. Bad deal.
That’s some nightmare fuel right there! Glad you’re ok and that they took care of you.

Reactions: DK4

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The dealership body shop quoted $9000 to paint an F150 in Platinum White.

So it's not shocking that the repair estimate for that truck is as high as it is.

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lariat 502A PB BAP
OUCH!! Sorry to hear it, that is some bad luck. Wrong place wrong time.

Feel your pain. In 2003 I was about 40yds behind a Cement Truck in my 2 month old Cobra when the truck lost its front u-joint, sending the driveshaft digging into the asphalt freeway speeds before it snapped the rear joints. Chunks of asphalt and driveshaft flying back at me....can still picture it. I am lucky I was able to dodge the driveshaft itself. A chunk of u-joint went straight into the intercooler leaving us both dead on the road.

Good luck with the repairs and your insurance company. It doesn't seem like it now, but it will be over with soon enough.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
As the post indicates the value of having an insurance policy depends greatly on the company behind it. When my house was badly damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake I needed to pay an attorney to get anything from State Farm and all his clients with simlar issues also had policies with State Farm Insurance.

A fad in my area is having tires extend a couple inches past the fenders and this is illegal but the laws are never enforced in California. I have had to pay to replace 3 windshields as a result of rock damage from pickup trucks tossing up rocks on the highway. The standard Toyota pickups used to have mudguards straight from the factory but now these are additional cost and most people really don't give a damn about others on the road.

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius

That really sucks.

I witnessed this happen once on 75 going through Allen TX about a decade ago. It was a Dodge Ram dually pulling a trailer going southbound, my wife and I were in an F-150 going northbound, there is a concrete divider in the middle. I see a wheel/tire pop way up in the air, I'm spouting off obscenities as my wife wonders what I see. I floor it, it bounced behind us about 10 meters. I keep watching the rear view to see the second landing - right in the middle of another Ram dually. Caved in the front end, coolant instantly dumped on the road. Nobody hurt but very much could have been if it landed on a cab, or hit a motorcycle. Wish I had a dashcam then!
Sponsored