Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
My cars/truck are in a barn ~300 yards from the porch, so I ride around the property daily in a SideXside. It's very common for one of the grandkids to be sitting in my lap and they are driving. (just ask them. 2, 3, 4, 4 years old. All girls)

While they HAVE learned to steer, they aren't much at lane-centering and so Pawpaws hand(s) is on the bottom of the wheel exerting the necessary force to keep things within MY limits. I have to be smooth and subtle or the little buggars will object and tell me they got it. :)

I find both Bluecruise and Lane-Keeping driving pretty similar. Yes, the AI is technically steering the truck. And for many traffic conditions my hand is lightly there but allowing the AI to drive. And when I am not satisfied with the placement of the truck by some margin, I gently exert enough pressure to influence the truck.

Sure, it feels like a very weighted wheel, but I've learned not to wrestle it. Just a gradual smooth override.

I'm really used to it now and truly enjoy the auto-pilot.
Sponsored

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
Yes, the AI is technically steering the truck. And for many traffic conditions my hand is lightly there but allowing the AI to drive. And when I am not satisfied with the placement of the truck by some margin, I gently exert enough pressure to influence the truck.
Exactly! This is how I think of it: "The truck pretends to be doing the driving, and I pretend to let it." ;)

RickZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I was finally able to use it on my 22 Powerboost I picked up at the end of June. I've used it a couple times on my commute, but this was my first 600 mile weekend down I5 in WA/OR without the RV trailer. Overall I was happy and it did make the drive more relaxing. It did seem to hug the passenger side a little, and seems like it would be happy to just hold the lane and let a drifting car run into you...not sure why they don't take the side sensors into account or maybe I just wasn't brave enough to wait long enough to find out.

I do wish that they took speed into account for the corners that it wants your hands back on the wheel. While I get that it may be better at speed on some of the sharper corners, why not let it handle the driving when traffic is only going 25? Why not enable it on all well marked roads at low speeds? Maybe this can come in a future update?

I'm also curious how it would react in a strong crosswind or a blown tire. Obviously you have to be ready to take over, but would it sense a strong gust or blown tire as driver input and drift hard while you try grabbing the wheel or will it hold the line and prompt you to take control?
I have been using mine on a 2021 Lariat. Went through a very windy area and it tracked well. I also think it is tracking a little to the right but need to ride in the back seat middle while my wife drives to verify. Over all, it's pretty good

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have the elephant ear towing mirrors with the huge bottom half concave (or convex?) portions and have them set to see a good view of the rear tires.

I have found that from the driver's seat looking out the windshield that my perception of crowding the passenger side is of the lane is a bit exaggerated compared to what the mirrors reflect. Lane-keeping DOES favor the passenger side, but the quick comparison in the two mirrors shows the difference isn't nearly as much as I perceive. Still, I have to learn to trust slowly. :)
Sponsored